Foolish drivers

Rate this topic

enniscorthyman

It's probably quite easy to do - driving different trailers, etc..

There used to be a light-beam device* on the approach to the Mountrath Road bridge in Portlaoise that lit up a sign on the bridge if you were high enough to break the beam. I'm not sure if it's still there. The one good thing about that bridge is that it's not square to the road, thus softening the blow a bit, and the angle tends to roll things away from the oncoming traffic, as in the picture above, it would be even more exciting if it was the other way..

There's even a video on YouTube of a chap hitting a bridge after forgetting to lower the tipper body..

*This - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=portlaoise&hl=en&ll=53.033776,-7.304114&spn=0.00135,0.002411&hnear=Portlaoise,+County+Laois,+Ireland&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.033774,-7.303907&panoid=HQyY3gXRsyliIHt9-zFiOg&cbp=12,200.3,,1,-11.06 - doesn't look how I remember it, maybe they've installed a new one, but there doesn't seem to be the lit sign on the bridge** now..

**Ah, there it is - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=portlaoise&hl=en&ll=53.033802,-7.305688&spn=0.00135,0.002411&hnear=Portlaoise,+County+Laois,+Ireland&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.033806,-7.305836&panoid=gJZTOgQQnF-Vr3b8yy6zKw&cbp=12,209.96,,2,-3.85&z=19 - before you get to the bridge..

Edited by Broithe

• 1 month later...

It reminds me of the story told by the late Richard Harris about the time he was driving back to limerick with a truck and he took a short cut

because he had being drinking anyway he came upon a low bridge and he figured because he was drunk the bridge may not notice him any way he got stuck under as you do and the guards arrived and asked him what was he doing at which he replied I'm delivering this bridge and I forgot the address

It reminds me of the story told by the late Richard Harris about the time he was driving back to limerick with a truck and he took a short cut

because he had being drinking anyway he came upon a low bridge and he figured because he was drunk the bridge may not notice him any way he got stuck under as you do and the guards arrived and asked him what was he doing at which he replied I'm delivering this bridge and I forgot the address

Richard Harris came up with some classics after being on a bender. He was missing for a week one time and when he was making his way home he was trying to come up with an excuse to appease his wife. He stood on the door step thinking, his wife suddenly opened the door and Harris looking at her painfully asked why didn't you pay the ransom. I remember him telling a story one time about being on a weekender with Peter O'Toole, Oliver Reid, and Peter Sellers. No alco pops or spiv shots on that session, just beer and whiskey.

Rich,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's not just bridges that get hit - Merrion Gates: major damage from car hitting gates earlier, repair works underway, DART/Commuter delays 15 mins will continue til afternoon.

Judging by the number of tweets still coming from Irish Rail, the AA and Garda traffic watch it sounds like the actions of this muppet is still causing major traffic problems in the area.

Merrion Gates are scheduled to close to all traffic from 12.30pm to 1.30pm today for maintenance. Use alternative route.

Merrion Gates: 20 min delays remain to DART/Commuter services. Repair works continuing, expected to be complete by this afternoon.