The Irish N-gauge debate

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Anything from around 1.5mm to 3mm in height is fine so applying lettering, crests, loco numbers, coach passenger class door numbers is relatively straight forward even though the transfers are considerably smaller then OO scale. However i find that transfers of less then 1.5mm are more difficult to apply because they are hard to read and can be applied incorrectly.

MikeO

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd add to this topic after being in the Model Shop on Capel Street today. 

In the back of the mostly n gauge cabinet I saw what looked like a loco, and definitely coaches of the black and tan variety. There were three or four coaches.

Could be worth a look in the shop. 

The best approach would be to ask ssm to prepare some N Scale CIE logos, coach and loco numbers, though I am not convinced wagons or coach numbers let alone smaller lettering would be visible for the normal 2' viewing distance.

I re-painted and lettered several American locos about 20 years ago as many locos were not available in the road names por colour schemes I wanted

Lettering of American locos using Microscale Decals. The nose striping and road name are applied in one piece, the numerals separately. The transfer film is barely visible once applied on a gloss finish. then finished off with a semi-matt clear cote. I used Microscale decal setting solutions as wetting agents to get the decals to bed in to the surface of the locos. My fleet of GP38-2s including 323 were traded in for some Atlas C628s the reverse of what actually happened on the D&H & the C424s including 453 is still available for service though I haven't operated the N gauge in about 10 years.

5a387391d7c6c_mypicturesbackupfile2004317.thumb.jpg.e1ee2894b8547467ca4f7bcbe0771feb.jpg5a3873d40afdf_mypicturesbackupfile2004546.thumb.jpg.9d8acb38db3c27dfd10062c02398cc8d.jpg

• Like 1

Its ironic that we are back on the subject of N-gauge. I spent most of this morning setting out track work using trammels, compass and Peco paper templates. There is absolutely no way I can build an interesting layout in 00 gauge without sharp radius curves and lots of compromise. On the other hand if I move to N gauge this just opens everything up for me in terms in scale, dimensions, movement of engines and wagons, turntables and engine sheds. Anythings possible.

I investigated N for a forthcoming project myself, having found out that 3D bodies are now available for a number of Irish diesels and Craven and Park Royal carriages. At that scale, while not technically correct, one or two varieties of British goods vans would have been (for me, anyway) a reasonable approximation to "H" vans and open wagons. As you say, Tony, much greater possibilities exist in this scale. The only downside was the amount or preparation and decoration of the somewhat crude 3D prints, as i was advised.

I have little doubt that with more and more people living in ever-smaller accommodation, N will resurge in the years to come, and maybe then some Provincial Wagons / Murphy Models / IRM / SSM etc etc lookalikes (if not those entities themselves) will be able to see a potential market. With your big GNR / UTA interest, there are RTR mode;s of various 0.6.0s which might be altered to look vaguely GNR - stretching artistic licence a bit, had the "Derry Road" remained longer, it's probable that NCC "Jeeps" would have become a common sight. there are various 2.6.4T locos which, again, might be altered to look good.

The UTA inherited a lot of NCC coaching stock, much of which was ordinary LMS designs. Thus, some LMS stock repainted dark green would be fine, even though it was mostly ex-GN stock on the Derry Road. As the saying goes, "there's a million ways to skin a cat"!

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Just a thought Tony, if you put a few small filets across the corners of the baseboard perpendicular joins you may find it easier to fit 00 gauge curves you might be happy with. The filets won't have any impact on the free space inside.  

Of course Noel, I have the timber framework to do this but have run out of 9mm birch ply. I will be adding these in the New Year when I return to work! Thanks.

I might take a dash to Enniskillen in the morning for a few lengths of 00 flexi to make it easier to set out the corners, these are the biggest challenge. Either way, I could be reduced to fewer points around the station area, more curved track work and longer train runs.

Hi Tony

Having followed your threads for over a year, I was not sure whether it was better to respond on this or your Omagh station thread. Building a realistic model of a large junction station like Omagh in a 6'X10' (external) shed in N or OO was always going to be a challenge particularly in terms or acceptable minimum radius curve for OO track and train length.

I think it would be worthwhile to lay a temporary oval of track in your shed using Peco radius 2 &3 settrack for the curves to test the concept of your layout and above all get a better impression of how your trains will look on the curves.

I would consider re-hanging the shed door to open outwards (if it does not already) with a lift out section of track inside the door so that you can make better use of the space.

It might be worth while considering a scheme from one of the Peco planning books such as 60 Plans for railways in small spaces, rather than trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. 

Building suitable locos & rolling stock for a model of the Derry Road would be a lot more challenging and time consuming in N compared with working in OO considering the near absence of suitable kits and the challenges of working in a smaller scale. 

On 12/26/2017 at 10:32 PM, Mayner said:

Hi Tony

Having followed your threads for over a year, I was not sure whether it was better to respond on this or your Omagh station thread. Building a realistic model of a large junction station like Omagh in a 6'X10' (external) shed in N or OO was always going to be a challenge particularly in terms or acceptable minimum radius curve for OO track and train length.

Mayner, I have just returned from Enniskillen with a few lengths of flexi-track which will help set out my plans. I've also beeb taking measurements this mornings to add a few fillets to smooth out curves at corners.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi folks,

I'm resurrecting this old topic. Does anyone happen to know the person who designed the 3d printed body shells on Shapeways, goes by the name B1lancer / Valve Design?

I'm trying to figure out which chassis works with the class 71. I bought a Life Like model but don't think it'll fit without cutting the chassis to bits. 

Cheers