Sign in to follow this  
TonyMcGartland

GNRi Train Tickets

I've often wondered if tickets on ebay claiming to be genuine actually are. Some are in mint condition, un-used and claim to be authentic. Are they replicas?

I don't think I've ever come across replica tickets on eBay. I think a lot of the mint, unused ones come from unsold stock which was offloaded or 'liberated' when the companies closed.

I don't think I've ever come across replica tickets on eBay. I think a lot of the mint, unused ones come from unsold stock which was offloaded or 'liberated' when the companies closed.

Including those from 1950s

It wouldn't be commercially viable (thankfully) to do a print run of an old ticket, thus authenticity is normal, if not inevitable.

I've often wondered if tickets on ebay claiming to be genuine actually are. Some are in mint condition, un-used and claim to be authentic. Are they replicas?

Tony

The "new-looking" tickets which you see are referred to by ticket collectors as "Audits" and are quite real.

- in simple terms, unused tickets.

There must be thousands still around, as the old companies printed far more of some tickets than they could ever have needed.

They are lower value to collectors than used tickets, or so my ticket collecting friends tell me!

Leslie

Thanks Leslie, I agree, the older, used variety are more collectable. A dealer in Co. Down told me he bought thousands of them at an auction for next to nothing. He was selling them off at 99p each