Much ado about nothing? - iPhone X

Rate this topic

Noel

As somebody who uses the Apple eco-system, felt a little underwhelmed by the much heralded launch of the 10th anniversary phone. Pay more get less? Functionally and ergonomically the X model almost seems a step backwards in terms of user ergonomics with no space to hold the phone due to the almost all-screen display which doesn't even go to the edges of the body anyway, and the loss of the tactile feel of the home button, not to mention the less secure facial recognition replacing the finger print. When will designers learn that touch screen alone eliminating all tactile controls doesn't necessarily make a device easier to control. iPhone 8 being waterproof seems a better incremental upgrade despite the continuing lack of 3.5mm jack socket. Ah well time will tell. I suspect had Jobs still been around we'd have been looking at something different yesterday.

You are paying for the badge, and to be part of the 'club'. Certainly not for the best tech currently available! Also, it is a disgusting amount of money for a phone

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/12/apple_could_improve_iphonex_iphone/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/12/apple_our_stores_are_your_town_square_and_a_1000_iphone_is_your_future/

Apple have fallen by the wayside in recent years. The screen in the new 8 and X are made by Samsung! Apple have been building a new factory for making AMOLED screens but are way behind.

Samsung are way ahead.

I used to be Apple fan but can't justify high prices for tech that can't compete.

You are paying for the badge, and to be part of the 'club'.

I don't do badges nor brand labels, use various kit purely based on function/quality/value. :)

Certainly not for the best tech currently available! Also, it is a disgusting amount of money for a phone.

Agree the price is daft. The "best tech" is not necessarily the most reliable nor easy to use! :) Function over specs every time.

Samsung also had this and went away from it as it was not secure enough.

My thoughts too. Not secure enough.

You'd want DCC sound for that outlay.

End of the day it's just a phone. Never get the excitement round this stuff tbh. Only 1% are ever going push its functionality. Most just want a phone, decent storage, a good camera and a way to browse the internet.

Agree 100%