Collection stolen in England.

Rate this topic

steventrain

Sad news, I'd like to wish that lad all the best for getting his collection back, in his description of what he said they did, it seems to me someone knew what boxes to take & what boxes to leave, " They checked al the boxes in the place and just took the trains, " time will tell.....hopefully he gets it back.

BTB

Ghastly. Poor fella.

He needs to analyse very carefully who could have known what's there! It's certainly someone "in the know".

Years ago, something of mine (not that valuable) was pinched by a colleague in one of the preservation bodies. I know who took it, and while it was only worth about €15, I was surprised in the extreme that someone I thought could be 100% trusted turned out not to be.

• 2 weeks later...
Ghastly. Poor fella.

He needs to analyse very carefully who could have known what's there! It's certainly someone "in the know".

Years ago, something of mine (not that valuable) was pinched by a colleague in one of the preservation bodies. I know who took it, and while it was only worth about €15, I was surprised in the extreme that someone I thought could be 100% trusted turned out not to be.

This reminded me of something which happen to me a few years ago as well, I was at a club meeting with a book about British & Irish narrow gauge railways and this one night one of the guys took an interest in my book and he asked if he could borrow it for a week, at the time I didn't mind, but about six months later I ask if he had finished with my book and he told me he didn't have it, he claimed to have left it in the club room for me to pick up, well I asked everyone and no had seen it so I put it down to experience and though I would try and get a replacement copy, sadly I could not find one anywhere.

Moving on to about 10 years ago (about ten year on from the above) I was at a model railway exhibition which I help with the running during the day and on the clubs sales stand was the same book I had lost all those years before, so I went over to it only to have the biggest surprise of my life, it was my book with my name in it, I asked who brought it in but no one was sure, so I asked the treasurer if I could claim my book back which he agreed to and it now forms part of my book collection.

I still have my suspicions who was behind it, but as I haven't seen this guy for a few years or so I can't exactly say for certain if he was behind returning it to the club all those years later.

Colin R

Vigilance can pay off. Many years ago, a friend of mine had the boot of his Cortina forced at work and four items were stolen, including a trolley jack and a socket set. It really upset him and he constantly referred to it for weeks afterwards. I didn't notice that he always recited the four items in the same order until I was reading the small ads in the local paper six months later and realised that I had read one advert in 'his voice'. I rang him, he lived some way away and wouldn't have seen the paper, "Does this sound familiar?" "They're mine!".

He rang the cops and they went round and got the stuff back.

If they hadn't written the advert in the same order as he went on and on about it, I might not have spotted it...

There's two stories with happy endings, thankfully.

A working colleague in the preservation world once pinched a book of mine too, which I never got back. I know who took it, and quite disgracefully another colleague covered up for this individual. The thief is no longer with us - it was years ago.....

Just shows that even friends / colleagues can't always be trusted.....

It might be worth remembering that these " friends " or whomever may have a whole lot of issues going on in their lives now & may well have totally forgotten all about that book or whatever it was they borrowed!!! Of course I could be wrong !!!!just saying!

Having read JHBs post he says the guy that nicked his book is dead, so he won't have any issues going on in his life now.

Rich,

My auld fella, a solicitor, had a fella, plumber I think, come into him in the 80's to transfer land or make a Will. A few years ago his daughter came into have the man's will read and estate executed. Says she "oh, I think my dad borrowed this book of you.."

The book?

"Companies acts of Ireland 1963",staple reading of all daycent mechanical contractors...