Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Kingsbridge - workbench

Recent posts on plough vans got me thinking. As many may already know, I'm a fan of the 60/70s era and dislike all things yellow. Now I really like my rake of IRM ballasts, even if I pretend they are gypsum wagons hauling mineral freight rather than doing PW work. Hence I have no desire to have a pair of yellow plough vans . . . but there were older plough vans in much more acceptable brown or bauxite livery like the GSWR plough below, and they looked prettier.

29160110470_4dc4f239c6_b.jpg

So I have decided to convert a pair of my GWR 'toad' brake vans to ex-GSWR ploughs and match them up with my rake of IRM ballasts even if not strictly prototypical, at least there won't be any yellow. They will need some modifications, add small windows, remove the full length steps, replace with steps under door, add vertical stanchion at door to roof, a plough, and respray in GSWR brown/bauxite. They will be a bit long but should pass the duck test. The alternative is to just respray a pair of BR shark vans brown, but I do like the look of GWR toads resemblance to the GSWR van.

IMG_2828.jpg

Two in bauxite would do the trick and then one day I could pretend they are hauling ballasts and another day gypsum. :)

IMG_2829.jpg

Will update this thread as they progress along with a few other kits and bodge jobs in the pipeline like a GSV and a luggage van.

" They will be a bit long but should pass the duck test. The alternative is to just respray a pair of BR shark vans brown, but I do like the look of GWR toads resemblance to the GSWR van "

Hi Noel, & the best of luck with those plans, & as you may know I do like the duck test, after all it's called playing with trains.......

Paul

Hi Noel, & the best of luck with those plans, & as you may know I do like the duck test, after all it's called playing with trains.......

Paul

Cheers Paul. Another pic this time with the brown 'toad' van beside the ballasts. CIE roundal, remove the white, and a few mods would go a long way to duck test level, and playing trains. Noel

IMG_2830.jpg

29160110470_4dc4f239c6_b.jpg

So I have decided to convert a pair of my GWR 'toad' brake vans to ex-GSWR ploughs and match them up with my rake of IRM ballasts even if not strictly prototypical, at least there won't be any yellow. They will need some modifications, add small windows, remove the full length steps, replace with steps under door, add vertical stanchion at door to roof, a plough, and respray in GSWR brown/bauxite. They will be a bit long but should pass the duck test. The alternative is to just respray a pair of BR shark vans brown, but I do like the look of GWR toads resemblance to the GSWR van.

IMG_2828.jpg

The GSWR van is a nice van. Richie did a nice sequence of shots on it over its lifetime if I recall correctly. I'll check later and if not I'll delete this sentence as irrelevant. I don't know how much butchery you want to do to the body itself to make a platypus into a duck and I'm not even concerned with length just the general proportions. The GSWR obviously has 5 panels and a much shorter open section and the toad would benefit from a cut & shut of the 'open' end with the addition of a panel added to the closed end before windowing etc.

If the vertical stanchion and door can be cut out as one piece without interfering with the bulkhead, and the units placed the opposite sides of the van it'll give you a nice riveted replacement stanchion at the doors. A third toad would be really useful donor to keep the vertical framework and paneling the same. Two cents. Good luck!

Beware the colours on both of the Downpatrick vans shown.

1. Brown is faded now

2. Even newly painted, slightly too reddish.

3. They should have brown chassis, not black ever.

Beware the colours on both of the Downpatrick vans shown.

1. Brown is faded now

2. Even newly painted, slightly too reddish.

3. They should have brown chassis, not black ever.

Hi JB. Thanks for that. Difficult to ascertain colour from the old pic below, but seems a shade of brown including chassis. This one has had panels over the former planking. Think the pic is one of yours, and a great resource to have. Noel

Originally posted by Glenderg and think the pic was one of yours Jonathan. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5448-10-Ton-GSWR-Ballast-Brake-Plough-Van

attachment.php?attachmentid=23292&d=1458257726

attachment.php?attachmentid=23254&d=1458052243

Edited by Noel

Those toads above look very far off the DCDR wagon, which is based on the AA3 pattern from the turn of the century. You'd be well to wait for the Oxford Rail GWR 4 wheeled toad which is due to make an appearance soon, which has right WB, length etc.

post-133-0-85491500-1502489033.jpg

R

Those toads above look very far off the DCDR wagon, which is based on the AA3 pattern from the turn of the century. You'd be well to wait for the Oxford Rail GWR 4 wheeled toad which is due to make an appearance soon, which has right WB, length etc.

Thanks for the info, Richie. That looks a much better candidate for conversion. Noel

I recently found a pair of these old 1970s Hornby GW brake vans which may make better donors for modification to ex-GSWR ploughs. At least they are closer to the wheelbase length and have shorter verandas than the Bachmann GWR toads.

IMG_3050.jpg

Step 1 - coat of primer before cutting and adding bit'n'pieces. Torn between 'Duck' standards and having a go at these. :)

IMG_3051.jpg

I'm assuming you're going to add a section to the bodywork and the shorten the verandah by the same amount.

Stephen

I'm assuming you're going to add a section to the bodywork and the shorten the verandah by the same amount.

Stephen

Hi Stephen, that was the original plan for the Bachmann GWR toads but now that I'm using the shorter old Hornby brake vans instead (i.e. shorter veranda and shorter overall length) so now I plan to add the windows, vertical stanchion, move the roof chimney, add lamps, modify the under frame and add plough. Noel

Lima BR Mk1 BSK to CIE GSV Conversion (or perhaps RPSI 3185). I'm thinking of having a go at this. Any words of wisdom or advice would be much appreciated. Picture below is an SF GSV with the proposed Lima under. Will change bogies to B4s.

GSV_BSK_mods.jpg

Edited by Noel

I'm working on the BCK version using old Hornby CKD coaches. Anyone old enough to remember them? I take the view that it's easier to cut through individual carriage walls, rather than a complete body.

Stephen