Broad gauge modellers?

Rate this topic

David Holman

The sad news about Richard Chown has again raised a concern in my mind that there are previous few folk doing broad gauge and possibly even fewer layouts. Hence would be interested in establishing a list. To the best of my knowledge, we have:

Ballyconnel Road in 3mm scale

Valencia Harbour in 4mm

Paul Greene's S gauge

Arigna Town in 7mm

Is that really it???

If there are others working to broad gauge, please consider sharing.

David Malone Surrey 4mm S4 Cliffony based on Dromad

Alan Edgar (De Selby RM Web Cambridgeshire 4mm S4 kit and scratch built locos including models of GNR (I) Vs, S & U, NCC Mogul & Whippet

Steve Johnston Warwick 4mm 21mm EM standards CIE Supertrain era

Starting to look better, thank goodness! Would be nice to see pictures of some of these. No mention of any other 36.75mm gauge though. Surely I can't be in a group of one?

I can't recall whether Harry Mulholland's 'Knockmore Junction' was built to regular 7mm standards or if it's finescale. It shares some stock with 'Octavia Hill', too...

Does anyone know for certain?

Starting to look better, thank goodness! Would be nice to see pictures of some of these. No mention of any other 36.75mm gauge though. Surely I can't be in a group of one?

You are not alone David!!! I am becoming more and more tempted to try 7mm 36.75mm gauge a bit easier to see than N or OO and easier on the pocket than 1:20.3.

Dave Walkers, 36.75mm gauge Killanney a medium sized WLWR/MGWR junction terminus had a colour feature in the Oct 1985 Modeller.

I saw the layout at the Chatham show about 25 years ago and may have slides or photos somewhere.

The layout was inspired by and shared locos and rolling stock with Castle Rackrent, Daves own stock included some very fine looking WLWR locos with plenty of brasswork in lined crimson lake and a MGWR small tank in lined light green & a 101 Class in lined GSWR green.

Killanney, Castle Rackrent and Paul Greenes S Scale layout are certainly an inspiration to model the pre-WW1 era when the railways were at their xenith, the WLWR may have been poor but the lined crimson lake livery exceptional and the locos and stock of plain outline and simple to model compared with the GSWR & Midland.

Harry Mulhollands Knockmore Junction featured in April 2004 British Railway Modelling Irish supplement is likely to be O gauge, Harry's GNR locos regularly appeared at the Bangor exhibition.

Going back to 21mm gauge

Tim Cramer (Cork) once built a layout in 21mm gauge before moving up to O gauge, Tim regularly published articles on Irish Modelling and drawings or locos and stock in the Railway Modeller, Model Railway Constructor and Model Railway in the 1970s & 80s and he has also been the driving force behind many of The Tyrconnel/Alphagraphix 7mm gauge loco and rolling stock kits hence the heavy West Cork focus.

Dublin modellers Brian Fennell and Jim Maguire built most of the locos and stock used on the MRSI Loughrea layout including several TMD/SSM kits and scratch built models.

Brian acquired Tim Cramers Bandon Tank, another modeller Paddy Thormley a scratch built GNR JT built by a professional modeler Harry Connaghton.

Edited by Mayner

I can't recall whether Harry Mulholland's 'Knockmore Junction' was built to regular 7mm standards or if it's finescale. It shares some stock with 'Octavia Hill', too...

Does anyone know for certain?

It is 7mm finescale and not 36.75 mm . Harry preferred the finer wheel rather than the course wheels .

I had the privilege of seeing and operating Harry's layout.

Joe

Edited by Joe Keegan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just thought I would add to this thread.

I am in the process of developing a 4mm P4 layout; small table top, terminus layout to try out track an rolling stock conversions.

So far points are built and will be fixed down shortly allowing completion of the remaining track. Some rolling stock and a Pug loco converted to test out the track & get the hang of compensated chassis.

Early start, and a long way to go, but hopefully you can get some idea of the plan.

Cheers, Ken

Port Layout - Early 1.jpg

Port Layout - Early 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yes some very fine layouts, we should not forget that this forum has some wonderful modellers who use OO gauge as the track gauge as well.

We can (and do) all learn from each other, carry on the great modelling everyone, I may have been around for years in modelling, but that does not mean I know the best way to do something.

regards

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 5

On 8/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, KMCE said:

Well then, I guess my layout (project?, ongoing thingy?) Wicklow South could also be included.

1953683092_WicklowLookingNorth1.thumb.jpg.294e63dc9c10c378708f73795f7b56b1.jpg

335327333_WicklowLookingSouth1.thumb.jpg.8c7322542b416f8051cd24036cf41af5.jpg

Ken

Having seen this in the flesh for the first time in Bray this morning, I can say that it looks even better in real life - a true masterpiece!

Very nice to meet Ken as well!

I took these this morning.....

0E637C70-30B4-454F-AE78-74C16EC83FCB.jpeg

3D944AD3-8A11-4D8D-92BA-CDDA92977133.jpeg

AE9EAFFC-E03B-4D93-AD98-B7E6ECE9BDB6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

Jonathan,

Good to meet you too & many thanks for your kind comments. 

Comments such as those expressed here and in other posts, provide considerable encouragement - thanks to all who have liked & commented.

Ken

Edited by KMCE
  • Like 4

On 8/8/2020 at 8:35 AM, David Holman said:

As 'ongoing thingy' stuff goes,

Ah! well, if we're including "ongoing thingy stuff" in the mix then does my 2mm scale version of Dromahair qualify?

2 ft long and 10.5mm gauge.

Hopefully the start of something bigger.

950098689_randomprogressshotAug20.thumb.jpg.4dbb8fbc15dab645a4f6dbced34891e0.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo, the layout is currently residing in an unlit corner.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, David Holman said:

trust you have seen the latest MRJ

Hi David,

Not yet, my copy is still winging its way from the Titfield Thunderbolt as no local shops stock it any more.

I've deployed the sentry to advise me of its arrival.

sentry.thumb.jpg.73dfeecb7185b09aa7e05f6505ae369c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

41 minutes ago, Angus said:

Ah! well, if we're including "ongoing thingy stuff" in the mix then does my 2mm scale version of Dromahair qualify?

2 ft long and 10.5mm gauge.

Hopefully the start of something bigger.

950098689_randomprogressshotAug20.thumb.jpg.4dbb8fbc15dab645a4f6dbced34891e0.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo, the layout is currently residing in an unlit corner.

That's 2mm?  Wow - superb. Can we see the horse box and the van next to it?

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That's 2mm?  Wow - superb. Can we see the horse box and the van next to it?

Hi JHB,

They did appear in my Dromahair topic in the Irish Model Layout section

That was back in May, and embarrassingly I'm no further applying with applying planking to the blank side panels on the van or getting them painted. 

1139793254_vanandhorsebox.thumb.jpg.6e0834fbfc4d07279f0f4bd855d76037.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 2

25 minutes ago, Angus said:

Hi JHB,

They did appear in my Dromahair topic in the Irish Model Layout section

That was back in May, and embarrassingly I'm no further applying with applying planking to the blank side panels on the van or getting them painted. 

1139793254_vanandhorsebox.thumb.jpg.6e0834fbfc4d07279f0f4bd855d76037.jpg

Ah yes, I remember now - very superb work indeed!

• Thanks 1