ALERT - Photo hosting web sites - disabling links

Rate this topic

Noel

WARNING

Photobucket is the latest free photo hosting web site to disable links to linked images (i.e. via bb tags). It looks like more of the free photo hosting web sites are going to disable this feature. Kirleys photo library was disconnected a few months ago when dropbox did the same. Others may follow suit.

I don't know if it may be possible for site admins to harvest such photos and change the links to an image cache on the forum. I will move my images to another host and edit the links in my main layout and workbench threads which currently have all image links to photobucket disabled.

Admins when you get a chance if you could please temporarily enable long term 'edit' facility for postings on my account for a few weeks and I will change the IMG links to point to one of my own private hosts.

PS: photobucket will allow linking for paid hosting but at a cost of €399pa which is a daft price.

Edited by Noel

Broken Image links Update. I've just bulk uploaded a backup copy of all my model rail photos to new host, and in the next week or so I will edit any of my past IRM forum posts that have image tags to point to my new private photo host instead of PhotoBucket. I've just completed fixing all my RMweb posts. Hopefully my broken IRM image posts will be sorted within the next week.

This seems to be a 'recreational hazard' when posting with any of these sites. They're always free and accessible until they're not and you have a lot invested at that point. All the images can be uploaded onto the IRM server as I understand from Stephen by checking on the 'local copy' rather than referencing a third party host directly. Any link breakage, file structuring, change of terms & conditions and ...... :facepalm:

Edited by DiveController

This seems to be a 'recreational hazard' when posting with any of these sites. THey're always free and accessible until they're not and you have a lot invested at that point. All the images can be uploaded onto the IRM server as I understand from Stephen by checking on the 'local copy' rather than referencing a third party host directly. Any link breakage, file structuring, change of terms & conditions and ...... :facepalm:

Yea, I always used to host my own images, but lapsed into using PhotoBucket a few years ago because of their iOS uploading app, mainly for sailing photos and laterally model rail stuff. Anyway I've moved the images back to my own host so it won't happen again. :) When I get a chance next week I'll redirect all my IMG urls on IRM to the new host and normal service should be resumed.

My comments above were not intended to be a criticism but I would urge users to upload a local copy to preserve the threads intact and relevant over time. Thanks for your efforts as you have had a lot of interesting posts in recent months, and to others like Swissernie for uploading all those photos again (I HATE duplicated and 'busy' work)

I doubt these companies take the decision lightly. It would seem that advertising revenue is drying up in that sector of the Internet and so they are trying to make ends meet ( until they are taken over by Google, or Facebook, perhaps) .

Whacking the photos straight up here seems easiest to be honest. Google drive keeps all the backups for me ( not that the model train pics are important, more the family stuff...)

Have to agree richrua,that's exactly how i do it myself.Seems to be the handiest way and the images should be here for years to come without any problems.

Oh no, not the incredible "LIMA Murphy Models" thread?

One solution I can think of to save that incredible resource is a clever IT bod writing a script to bulk transfer all your PB images to another host (download + upload each jpg), and then text substitute your PB URLs here in the Lima thread with the basename URL of the new image host! Alternatively a script to bulk convert them to attachments stored here. Dave if you still have all the original images on your PC with their original names all is not lost.

Edited by Noel