DC wiring and wire

Rate this question

Peter

Question

Hi folks.

I have finished laying the two loops for my n gauge layout. Can anyone tell me what size wire to use under the baseboard to main power to the rails, and what size wire to use as droppers to the main feed? Should I feed power to each section of track or drop wires every few feet?

Thanks very much,

Peter

8 answers to this question

Suggested wire sizes for the main bus(es) under the layout would be 14-16 AWG. For n, droppers(feeders) 22AWG to 24AWG. If the layout is large err on the larger side (less resistance in larger bore wire=less drop in voltage over longer distances).

Solid wire recommended especially for feeders avoids electrical problems with stray strands. Voltage drop is proportional to the length of the rail. Most voltage drop occurs across joiners (narrow cross-section) so ideally each track piece should have a feeder.

A feeder should be placed near the centre of the rail rather than near the joiner(distance from each dropper to either end is half as long)

Thanks for the reply.

Below is a photo of the layout (5' x 3'), sidings to be completed. Controllers will be by the fiddle yard, which will be hidden behind a back scene. Points 1 and 2 are electrofrog. I plan to use a shunter and other short wheel base loco on the inner loop. Points 3 and 4 are insulfrog, longer loco on the outer loop. All code 80, curves are settrack radius 1 and 2. So I should wire each of these separately, and each length of flextrack? Easy to see where my rails join, have to refit the sleepers.

layout.jpg

Points 1 and 2 are electrofrog. I plan to use a shunter and other short wheel base loco on the inner loop. Points 3 and 4 are insulfrog, longer loco on the outer loop. All code 80, curves are settrack radius 1 and 2. So I should wire each of these separately, and each length of flextrack? Easy to see where my rails join, have to refit the sleepers

Feeders to each length in the middle and to each points. Points may nee insulating joiners on the no-stock rail. Good instructions online of how to wire the points depending if our using switches or by hand

Hi Peter,

For that size layout 0.5mm cable for the droppes and 0.75mm cable back to the controllers will be perfectly fine.

It is best to solder droppers to each piece of track except the siding coming off point one. The electro frog points don't need isolating rail joiners as they can be used to switch power into the siding.

When I'm building DC layouts I always use electro frog points as they are self isolating and switch power into sidings without the need for isolating Switches. I hope this helps.

Forgive me if I'm wrong Dave, but do you mean the insulfrog points don't need insulated rail joiners as they switch power to the siding? They are self isolating. I thought electrofrog points need insulated rail joiners on the frog.

Thank you for the advice on the correct wire to use. Now where to buy. Maplins?

Forgive me if I'm wrong Dave, but do you mean the insulfrog points don't need insulated rail joiners as they switch power to the siding? They are self isolating. I thought electrofrog points need insulated rail joiners on the frog.

Thank you for the advice on the correct wire to use. Now where to buy. Maplins?

Electrofrog if being used on a siding don't need insulating rail joiners. Only if being used on the main. Insulfrog do the same thing, they just don't need insulated rail joiners on the main. In short your siding does not need to be wired from an isolating switch.

Don't go to Maplin as they are extremely expensive. Try your local electrical wholesaler or Brimal components.

Thanks for the reply Dave. To confirm, insulated rail joiner on the mainline part of the frog, metal joiner on the siding part of the frog?

I see Lenehans on Capel Street have the size cable you recommend. Next question, solder the dropper wires to main bus or use those suitcase clips?