Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

Bantry Pier really looking well.

It's hard to believe a large part of the US Atlantic naval fleet lay at anchor on Bantry Bay in Bearhaven sound for significant part of WW1. A visit to Bear Island is like a time warp, and Lonehort naval battery a must see. It's more craggy island than craggy island ever was.

• 1 month later...

We have started to detail the bay itself and a wreck of an old fishing boat built (purely fictitious)

Also work on the landing stage has started

The other photo shows the component parts of the main station building ready to assemble

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2112.jpg

DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2114.jpg

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2110.jpg

• Like 2

Only just seen this and can't believe I'm the first to reply. The colours and textures of the pier and mud are superb. Beautifully understated, but also - to my eyes at least - just right.

I've seen the pier in what passes for 'real life' with me - at the Sleaford Show - it is truly a special model.

I searched Google for Gaelic script-there are many variations!I selected the script that by deduction seemed to be correct for Bantry.

I clicked on and by some fluke it appeared in my Excel spreadsheet(there is probably a technical method to describe this but I am still

in the dark ages!)I then selected the script from the Font drop down box,formatted the area I wanted and typed in Bantry

When the scale looked ok I printed it out and stuck it on scratch built name boards.Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for for the kind comments.

just been on Google.If you search "gaelic script generator bunchlo gc" you will see a heading Gaelic Script for MS windows

Go in to this and you will have a list of scripts-click on Bunchlo GC and you should be able to import it to Excel-hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

We have made some progress on Bantry station building.The basic shell has been assembled and some detailing

taken place.The shell is Daler board covered with Evergreen clapboard (now very expensive!).Windows and doors are from

Peco (one of the LK Packs)Bricks on the chimney are Slaters and will be painted with Humbrol 121 and detailed with Brick colour

(Precision Dark Brick) and also one or two slight colour variations.(pictures later)Furniture is scratch built-not brilliant

but it will do! will update as work progresses.

Have attached a photo of Bantry station in later years

DSCF2123.jpg

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF2126.jpg

11400380865_b1269ce41a_k.jpg

• Like 2

I'm surprised how angular the front face of 2660 looks. I always thought they were more "roundy".

Lovely building work by the way!

Des

Alas, these railcars were, arguably, the ugliest thing built under the Blessed Oliver's direction!

Can't wait to see Bantry on the show circuit here - truly a lovely piece of work!

Leslie

Des

Alas, these railcars were, arguably, the ugliest thing built under the Blessed Oliver's direction!

Can't wait to see Bantry on the show circuit here - truly a lovely piece of work!

Leslie

I actually think the railcars aren't that bad. Certainly not as bad as Ollie's SR diesels or electrics! :)

Good point David-I went a bit too far with the interior detail-still it was good practice!

The roof can always be left removable to show the interiour to visitors at exhibitions! I have done this for the signal cabins on Ballybeg and get a good reaction from visitors.

Edited by Irishrailwayman

I actually think the railcars aren't that bad. Certainly not as bad as Ollie's SR diesels or electrics! :)

Oh, come on, the original Bulleid/Raworth electric at least had some curves, but it's follow up was, I give you, totally beyond the Pale!

We must stop this, it's a CB&SCR thread and the forum is very much the richer for it!!!!

Keep it up, Bantrymen!