Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

Kirley, I'll post some pictures, the loco is back into its constituent parts for painting. I have had it as a rolling chassis and although its not perfect as I'd like I am very pleased. The gear box was a little tricky to keep square! I am tempted to paint it with some US Floquil Grimey Black which is really a very dark grey or maybe Tamiya German grey which is also very dark.

I must check but I think that one Bandon tank may have been painted actual black very late in the day, possibly 464. That would have been about 1958-60. If you prefer 1950s specifically, the grey needed would be a good deal lighter than something "nearly black" if accuracy is required. If you look at 186 at Whitehead today, you've got it. Beware though. Whitehead deliberately allowed the grey smokebox and chimney to get dirtier, as they didn't like grey! - so I was told. Whole loco should be the same grey. A bit darker, but not much, than English LMS wagon grey.

Another interesting livery matter is that Albert Quay painted several coaches in the pre-1955 darker green but with no lining at all, and that after 1955. As far as I can gather the AEC railcars were about the only things to run in West Cork in the "modern" (lighter) green, at any rate with any regularity.

Edited by jhb171achill

• 3 weeks later...

Correct!Thin strips of timber between rails and also each side of rails between platform and rails.

The green effect is a Daler pastel rubbed on with my fingers!

Also on the buffer end I have added some seaweed and mussels/limpets on the timbers-will post another picture of these shortly.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure I can get there to see it in the flesh, but I am looking forward to seeing it appear in one of the magazines very soon. stunning modelling on all levels superb

This has Warley written all over it.

Well, I did - and it was well worth the effort. Real quality work in every aspect and this has the potential to become one of the signature Irish layouts.

Pictures (of the whole exhibition) will appear elsewhere shortly.

Thanks very much for the kind word and photos Broithe-it was nice meeting you yesterday

Likewise, although you may be about to cost me some serious money - the railcar set is very tempting - seeing it in 'real life' was a revelation.

I may have to have an orange one...

So who make the Railcar set? I wonder if I could get a way with a set going into the old downpatrick station before it closed?

Colin

Had the UTA wanted to, they could have sent an early MED down there, indeed, they could have modernised the whole line with them.

The GNR did, of course, send AEC sets into Newcastle.

AEC sets were the mainstay of West Cork trains in the fifties and until closure.

What type of centre car will be used with this? An old wooden bogie in tow, or a laminate or Park Royal as a centre car would be suitable.

Is the Silver Fox model the only one which is available? as I would like to get a set but I am hoping to model them with 21mm gauge and while it is good to get a RTR model, it seems to me a waste of some money if I am going to ditch the OO gauge motor bogie straight away.

Thanks for the kind comments

Here are a couple of photos of Bantry signal cabin updated with correct Gaelic script

Excellent - quick work - lucky it wasn't spotted whilst you were still in the school, you might have had to stay behind.