Benaughlin new layout

Rate this topic

db1969

Hi after many years I'm now going to start my first real layout. The hope is to be a freelance layout based on the SL&nc railway flourance court station as a starting point with other bits & bobs from around Ireland as well.

The hope is to build in o guage with the layout being built in. Module form, with the first one being about 1000 x450 mm with a fiddle yard at on end well this will happen at some point in the future. The track plan is bringing kept very simple a single line and short sideing. I hope as I go along I will post photos. Please all help will be greatly appreciated .

Thank

Great to see someone else doing the SLNCR, DB. No doubt, like me, you have seen how the Alphagraphix catalogue contains much that is useful, inching a kit if Florencecourt station.

Don't know how far you have got, but would strongly suggest you consider doing it in 36.75mm gauge. If track building is not your thing, contact Marcway in Sheffield to enquire about custom made points. They did mine on Arigna Town for 50% more than Peco, but as they are self isolating, you can work them by wire in tube & it then costs the same as Peco with a point motor.

Slaters do a broad gauge loco axle, while their wagon and coach wheels are easily moved out to 34mm back to back. It just sets the scene right from the start and everything else is no more difficult than anything else in 7mm scale.

By all means send me a personal message & I will be happy to help. Depending on where you live, Arigna Town is out and about quite a lot in the New Year - Canterbury, Southhampton, Doncaster & Tonbridge, four shows in five weeks in Jan/Feb, so if you are anywhere near, come and say hello.

I have to be honest it was seeing your Arigna town layout at cultra tmade me want to get going. Yes the alphagraphix was bedtime reading for a few weeks. I got the flourancecourt kit and I'm using it as a set of plans to help me scratch build the station. Of I can work out how to post photos I will

The machine belongs to my wife - she's happy to share it with me :) it's a Cricut Explore Air and it cuts so many materials it would be easier to say what it doesn't cut! I think the maximum thickness of materials is 2 mm. You can see lots of videos on YouTube and their website is informative too:). If you have any questions just ask

The machine belongs to my wife - she's happy to share it with me �� it's a Cricut Explore Air and it cuts so many materials it would be easier to say what it doesn't cut! I think the maximum thickness of materials is 2 mm. You can see lots of videos on YouTube and their website is informative too ��. If you have any questions just ask

It looks like it would cut modelling pasticard quite nicely?

A quick update on the work in progress. This is how the station house is at the moment. The work this pasted few days has mostly been on the little storage houses. I have placed cobbles in the little yard and hand cut the cap stones for the walls.The next job is to make real wooden doors .I have an oak strip that I hope will work out in making both the doors onto the platform. The 2 doors in the yard will be made from a few coffee stirrer.

IMG_20170115_200029.jpg

It's worth going to the area, db1969, as not only will you see the buildings, you'll get a feel for the countryside and setting. Be sure to look at the beautifully restored Glenfarne and Belcoo stations in particular.

Naturally, you can't do it by rail any more; but bus services in the area are also very sparse, so a car is necessary to explore properly.

Incidentally, this September will mark the 60th anniversary of the closure of the SLNCR (and much of the GN).

Thanks for your kind reply. I know the area a little bit and it's definitely good advice to go and look at the actual place that's to be modelled. My wife and I have stayed a couple of times in Benaughlin Cottages which are right across the road from Florance Court. I was able to get some good photos of the area on our walks. That's why I've chosen to name my layout Benaughlin :-) I feel a research trip may be in need to refresh my memory and since I'm heading that way anyhow I can't miss up an opportunity to visit Headhunter's lol. All the best, Derek.

DSCN0658.jpg

Couple of pictures for you DB, showing how I incorporated an addition of Glenfarne goods shed on my Arigna Town layout.

Did the stonework using Wills 'Random' embossed sheets. Intended for 4mm scale, they work just as well in 7mm. The rails also began life via the Alphagraphix kit, though only as a 'drawing'. It is scratch built - plasticard body on a simple nickel silver chassis. The Howden-Meredith wheels are just slices of Corgi Classic lorry tyre stuck on to Slater's disk wagon wheels

DSCN1018.jpg

P1010375.JPG