Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2

Rate this question

The Derry Road

Question

Hi All

:banana:

I’ve taken the plunge into DCC and will be converting the control of the layout shortly along with some locos. Any advice/tips on decoder selection (sound/non sound) wiring, running etc., is welcome. My head is buzzing from reading manuals in choosing which system.:jazz:

My choice of system is Gaugemaster prodigy Advance2, based on cost, future upgrading although I only run three locos at any one time and this model may be sufficient to cope with power wise.:praying:

Will post updates on progress

TDR

4 answers to this question

Hi All

:banana:

I’ve taken the plunge into DCC and will be converting the control of the layout shortly along with some locos. Any advice/tips on decoder selection (sound/non sound) wiring, running etc., is welcome. My head is buzzing from reading manuals in choosing which system.:jazz:

My choice of system is Gaugemaster prodigy Advance2, based on cost, future upgrading although I only run three locos at any one time and this model may be sufficient to cope with power wise.:praying:

Will post updates on progress

TDR

Congrats TDR.

You will enjoy DCC. Its easy to convert a DC layout initially. Just connect two wires from the DCC controller to where your previous 12V power supply used to connect, and switch every block section on. Remove all DC locos from the layout, install a few decoders and hey presto, your layout is DCC. In time I would recommend adding some more track feeds (i.e. called droppers), especially to remote parts of the layout because it will ensure no voltage drop over any dodgy fishplate connections and give some protection from short circuits.

As to sound decoders, thats a personal choice and lots to choose from. Suggest play some of the videos on the forum to hear sounds. For non-sound decoders I have been using Lenz silver+ both 21pin for MM 141/071/201 and the wired ones for steam locos and Silverfox A class (Hornby class 55 chassis). Will be trying out some Dave's Lais decoders. Enjoy the experimentation and fun.

PS: If you had any Relco electronic track cleaners just remove them completely.

Hi, TDR.

I use the Prodigy 2 myself and I think it's excellent. It's more simple to use than a lot of other DCC systems (all the info you'll really need is printed on the back of the throttle!) and it provides 3.5 amps of power which is more than enough for 3 locos fitted with sound.

As a general rule of thumb a single, non-sound loco will use about .25 amps while a sound loco will pull about .50 to .60 amps. This is assuming you're using good quality, modern models with decent motors, some of the older ones can pull up to 1 amp. Either way, you have more than enough juice!