IRM announce Tara Wagon

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Irish Railway Models (IRM), today announces that it is to produce the distinctive ‘Tara Mines’ bogie ore wagon in 4mm (OO) scale.

The Tara Mines wagon were built by CIÉ in 1977 for Tara Mines Ltd to convey zinc and lead ore from their mine near Navan, Co. Meath to Dublin Port for export. They are still in operation today and currently represent the heaviest freight trains operated on a daily basis in Ireland. Three laden trains operate in a block formation between the mine and Dublin Port each day.

The Irish Railway Models 4mm scale rendition of the wagon will look to emulate the high standards set by their Ballast and Cement 'Bubble' wagon projects. The prototype has been surveyed and CAD work has been completed. The wagon will feature accurately rendered body, separately applied detail such as brake gear, close coupling mechanism and will also be designed with easy conversion to 21mm gauge in mind.

Due to the corrosive nature of the ore, the distinctive lids on the wagons have been upgraded and replaced three times since their introduction in 1977. In order to cover the complete operational timeframe of the wagons, Irish Railway Models will be tooling the three lid variants to ensure accuracy across all livery variants.

It is planned to offer the wagons in their current guise of bauxite livery in the first run of models. Like the Ballast and Cement Bubble projects, there will be multiple wagon packs offered with unique running numbers to allow the modeller to create a prototypical rake. Future releases will include the wagons in earlier guises, including their distinctive original blue livery.

Prices and a delivery date are yet to be announced but are due for confirmation shortly. Pre-ordering will be available via irishrailwaymodels.com and selected retailers.

0303.jpg

0304.jpg

TARA.jpg

Irish Railway Models (IRM), today announces that it is to produce the distinctive ‘Tara Mines’ bogie ore wagon in 4mm (OO) scale.

The Tara Mines wagon were built by CIÉ in 1977 for Tara Mines Ltd to convey zinc and lead ore from their mine near Navan, Co. Meath to Dublin Port for export. They are still in operation today and currently represent the heaviest freight trains operated on a daily basis in Ireland. Three laden trains operate in a block formation between the mine and Dublin Port each day.

The Irish Railway Models 4mm scale rendition of the wagon will look to emulate the high standards set by their Ballast and Cement 'Bubble' wagon projects. The prototype has been surveyed and CAD work has been completed. The wagon will feature accurately rendered body, separately applied detail such as brake gear, close coupling mechanism and will also be designed with easy conversion to 21mm gauge in mind.

Due to the corrosive nature of the ore, the distinctive lids on the wagons have been upgraded and replaced three times since their introduction in 1977. In order to cover the complete operational timeframe of the wagons, Irish Railway Models will be tooling the three lid variants to ensure accuracy across all livery variants.

It is planned to offer the wagons in their current guise of bauxite livery in the first run of models. Like the Ballast and Cement Bubble projects, there will be multiple wagon packs offered with unique running numbers to allow the modeller to create a prototypical rake. Future releases will include the wagons in earlier guises, including their distinctive original blue livery.

Prices and a delivery date are yet to be announced but are due for confirmation shortly. Pre-ordering will be available via irishrailwaymodels.com and selected retailers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25646[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25647[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25648[/ATTACH]

Good lord that's beautiful..

Fantastic news lads,another excellent wagon on the production line.

Yes I know and nice kits they are for resin, but unfortunately not injection moulded RTR with the kind of precision IRM are offering with their new wagons (eg: €27 for a kit v €42 RTR). I appreciate many will prefer to build kits and finish to their own preference, but I tend to prefer injection moulded RTR.

I would say that the "beet" wagons will eventually appear from IRM as they ran in long rakes, meaning that for anyone trying to recreate that in model form would likely run at least 12 wagons too get the "look".

I have no connection with IRM so this is just a future assumption and may well depend on the success of the wagons being released.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25648[/ATTACH]

Another very promising announcement. Hats off guys, the drawing looks excellent. Even though its a bit modern image for my era I will undoubtably have to collect some of these as they are distinctive Irish wagons and produced by an Irish model company.

Another very promising announcement. Hats off guys, the drawing looks excellent. Even though its a bit modern image for my era I will undoubtably have to collect some of these as they are distinctive Irish wagons and produced by an Irish model company.

Thanks Noel, I guess 1977-today makes them 'modern image' alright :)

Edited by BosKonay

Thanks Noel, I guess 1977-today makes them 'modern image' alright :)

Ah now, you know me by now, any goods train without a brake van and three link couplings is so modern it moves at 'hyperspace' speeds :) As I said, I'll be buying anyway cause they look so good, just as long you won't mind them being hauled behind B&T 141s on Kingsbridge :)

1977 to today is a good spread of possible locomotives liveries to pull them too !

They were only hauled by the A class up till 1994/1995 when the 071s took over. Only once an empty tara train was hauled by a pair of 141s from Northwall to Drogheda where an 071 took over. NIR's 112 has hauled them in recent years while on loan to IE but 111 or 113 never have.

As I joked with the lads at the show, this wagon will make a good case for a high end A class model.:D

Just finished looking at some pics of Tara's and I think a graffiti (one or two) and weathered look will be called for. They are a lovely looking wagon and the correct chosen prototype to produce. Fran obviously had a big say in the choice as they are a particular favorite of his, as he has said. The fact that the three different covers are being produced is great for modellers of the different era's since they were first introduced into traffic.

Rich,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Tara Underframe detail FB.jpg

Things are progressing swiftly here at IRM Towers, with the ballast wagons selling well, the bubbles in production and now we can confirm that the Tara Mines wagon has entered the tooling stage.

The Tara Mines project has been going on quietly in the background, but is still on course for delivery this winter. Keep an eye out for news, ordering information, prices and livery options in the coming weeks.

As you can see from the CAD shot of the underframe detail above, it will be well worth the wait! The devil is in the detail as they say. :)