Class A ECMCHAS for Silver Fox Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

I was thinking that if the bogie sides were moulded from resin then maybe you

could attach the front axle to the bogie sides instead of the brass bracket.

Hi popeye

Yes I have a design for using the sides to hold the third axle, but I prefer to keep the axles and motor as one stand alone unit and bogies as independent units. After my testing of this design you never know I may revert....

Eoin

Just wondering if this will have room to fit broad gauge wheelsets?

Hi RichL

Yes it will work with 21mm gauge wheelsets if that's what you mean, a little bit of filing for wheel clearance on the frame sides is all thats needed

Eoin

Hi All

I got the second bogie made up and ran some tests on it, this one does not have the wire spring for the pony truck and a small bit of lead tucked in under the frame- surprisingly it runs better without the spring!

AC-23 IMAG2987.jpg

So the chassis plate was stuck together, the fixing brackets to hold it on to body were installed, an internal metal weight bolted down to the chassis plate.

AC-24 IMAG2986.jpg

AC-25 IMAG2988.jpg

AC-26 IMAG2989.jpg

I used one of my Class C white metal battery boxes to add weight and detail- the A one is not made yet! and I ran the chassis without the body- it ran brilliantly.

AC-27 IMAG2994.jpg

AC-28 IMAG2996.jpg

Now that I have the whole loco test assembled the bogie side patterns could get their final test fitting. All works fine and no need for adjustments to the patterns.

AC-29 IMAG3000.jpg

AC-30 IMAG3001.jpg

They are now off to the paint shop to finish for making the moulds...

Eoin

That looks good, Eoin! When might it be available?

Hi DC

I'm pretty close to all being sorted, I'm tipping away at it while I finish the other things! Then I have six orders to do- these kits have been on the high shelf for about 2 years now!!

I also need to work out my pricing

Say about 2 months, though I have said that before

Eoin

• 1 month later...

My concern is about mixing body mounted couplers with bogie mounted couplers which cause problems on curves epically when pushing rolling stock through points during shunting movements. A bracket on the end of the bogie frame with provision for mounting a cupler pocket would be perfect.

Hi patrick

Next time the test track is up I'll push some rolling stock through the points, I did test the chassis with a couple of Cravens forward and backwards through the points with no problems, but did not test something smaller/lighter without the close coupling unit!!

I will report back

Eoin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
My concern is about mixing body mounted couplers with bogie mounted couplers which cause problems on curves epically when pushing rolling stock through points during shunting movements. A bracket on the end of the bogie frame with provision for mounting a cupler pocket would be perfect.

Hi Patrick

Finally got to run tests on the chassis mounted coupler- it's fine running backwards through points with wagons, but not with a Craven coach- serious lock with the chassis mounted system. When last testing I must not have pushed them backwards!

The way I designed the bogie with the little free truck at the front will not be suitable for mounting the coupler from there so I reckon its going to be some type of coupler plate off the chassis to allow more side swing! like a Keen Plate- but they are two wide. This will also require a wider slot in the body buffer beam as coupler height in within the beam area....

Some drawing is required

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

I think I have it sorted!

The Class A buffers were also locking with the Craven's in reverse- and sorting this problem lead to the solution. I extended out the NEM socket on the Craven so that the coupler buckle was beyond the line of the buffers, it then came to me that if I opened out the side of the 156 Gear Box on the A chassis to give the coupler a bit more swing it may work, it's done and it does. Now the couplers hit the buffers but it does not lock up, it drives backwards through the short Hornby points OK....

Until next time I have the track up I'll post a few picks n video

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

After a week of mould making and a bit of a compromise on pattern detail the Class A Bogie Sides started to appear, I'm still experiencing venting and chilling problems, but came up with a technique that gave 80% success- some of the detail is to fine for this kind of moulding without a centrifuge...

AC-31 IMAG3323.jpg

AC-32 IMAG3350.jpg

AC-33 IMAG3347.jpg

AC-34 IMAG3349.jpg

Eoin

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Thanks StevieB

Yes I can run off a set for you if you want, a set of 4 is €25.00.... they will need a slight clean up with sharp knife, a file and fibre brush

Eoin

I'd be interested in a set - can you advise how to order? I'm in England and PayPal would be the easiest way. Thanks.

And will the chassis be commercially available at some point, with or without the sideframe castings?

I'd be interested in a set - can you advise how to order? I'm in England and PayPal would be the easiest way. Thanks.

And will the chassis be commercially available at some point, with or without the sideframe castings?

Hi decauville1126

I'll put you in the mix for a set, the chassis will be available soon, it still needs a bit of work to finalise, and it will be available as components as required, or ready to run

I will pm you as soon as I check out postal cost for the sides to England

Eoin

Will the wee step ladder on the bogie sideframe be available too :P :P

Only windin' ya up, they look "is maith sin" or "smashin'", love to see this level of fidelity with Irish stuff, EMC abu!

R.

Hi R.

Yes it will be available later...

I did NS wire ones for the Class C sides but to much fiddly work, so the A's will be brass etched, to be folded up and soldered!

C Class-17 IMAG2130.jpg

Eoin

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DB JOE said:

interested in a couple of sets of those A class bogie side frames if they are still available

Hi DB Joe

No problem, I will have a couple of sets with me at the Bray Show tomorrow if you can make it- €25.00 for a set of 4 sides, otherwise pm me and we can discuss

Eoin