Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

2 hours ago, mmie353 said:

Is this seller Model Irish Railways? If so, what are they doing in their range at the moment, or is everything through Ebay? 

Looks like Ian's ebay handle (ie MIR). I managed to buy some kits from him via ebay last year.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 31/3/2021 at 3:37 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

MIR items, probably ex stock 
Sylvia McNally I reckon from the sellers avatar
Contact address from back in the day 
12 Lynedale Grange
Portadown
Craigavon
BT63 5XB
Phone 028 ( 048 from the South) 38339336

Sylvia is Ian's wife.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Cheeky to have it in photos with coaches…..fooling no one 

My thoughts exactly.

€350 with a few coaches wouldn't be terrible.

I see that somebody has already offered €300 for it.

Insane.

And, I say that as somebody with no common sense and no impulse control.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still in stock in marks here for €7.99 and I think IRM might stock them too..

unfortunately Brexit killed the days of cheap small bits on hattons, they are only worthwhile if you want a trunk load of stuff.. 

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

If your starting out. A lick of grey or black paint, red buffer beams and some basic transfers and your good to go 

the problem I find at the moment is finding a good source for those CIE buffer beam and side Numerals. I’m currently living off the ones from SSM with the bandon tank kit but am slowly running out….anyone know another place for good ones?

No, and a hard one to hardwire because of its split chassis
The key to converting a split-chassis model to DCC is to isolate the chassis from the motor terminals. Split-chassis models rely on the motor terminals pressing against the chassis directly, to get power from the track, but DCC needs to intercept this connection and place the decoder between the pickups and the motor.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

13 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If your starting out. A lick of grey or black paint, red buffer beams and some basic transfers and your good to go 

the problem I find at the moment is finding a good source for those CIE buffer beam and side Numerals. I’m currently living off the ones from SSM with the bandon tank kit but am slowly running out….anyone know another place for good ones?

If you are patient and persistent, Steve from Railtec will deliver the goods if you provide him with decent examples, preferably with something for scale reference, like the known height of the buffer beam. I worked with him to get the latest NIR 111 transfer packs designed, providing as much photographic evidence as possible as he doesn't like to guess.

• Informative 2

Hatton's are keen to sell remaining 0 gauge Gresley stock it seems. A3 Pacifics (£750) are now priced at £299, with A4s at £350. Gresley coaches are down to £115 each, which in this scale is ridiculous, especially when latest Bachmann 4mm coaches can retail at £75 each.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Hatton's are keen to sell remaining 0 gauge Gresley stock it seems. A3 Pacifics (£750) are now priced at £299, with A4s at £350. Gresley coaches are down to £115 each, which in this scale is ridiculous, especially when latest Bachmann 4mm coaches can retail at £75 each.

Anecdotal info suggests the engines are a bit shite performance-wise, and can barely pull themselves. Problems with quality control as well. Might not be the bargain they seem to be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've seen various YT comments saying the same, that the Hatton's O Gauge locos are muck.

Still, be nice for a static model!

Two Murphy Models Cravens, good seller, I've bought from them several times:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/model-railway/28419622

They also have IE livery 187 for €195:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/model-railway/28380295

And IE livery 146 for €195:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/model-railway/28380275

Edit: Not a bargain, but if you're loaded and you're into that kind of thing, @Look-its-evan has this for sale:

https://touch.adverts.ie/toy-cars-trains-boats-planes/irish-rail-dmu-2600-class-arrow-livery/28290395

Edited by DJ Dangerous

• 4 weeks later...