CIE/GSR 650 Class 2-4-0 MGWR Ks

Rate this topic

Mayner

DSCF8437.jpg

GSR/CIE 650 Class superheated round topped boiler Inchacore cab

DSCF8434.JPG

MGWR Ks/GSR 650 Class superheated round topped boiler round canopy cab, open coal rails tender as running 1916-Mid 1930s

I am accepting expressions of interest in this loco kit for release in mid-late 2017.

The design of the loco is at the final stages updates include (non working) inside valve gear and slotted valences for locos in CIE condition.

Jeremy Suter is preparing the patterns for the castings which are also suitable for the Midland Standard Goods & Achill Bogie. Jeremy once produced a small range of Irish wagon kits and prepared the patterns for the castings for the JM Design MGWR Vans.

The kit is designed for OO or 21mm gauge and can be assembled in late MGWR early GSR condition with canopy cab saturated or superheated round topped boilers or GSR/CIE condition with Inchacore cab and superheated boilers.

The 650 Class worked DSER suburban and main line services, in addition to MGWR branch and main line workings.

• 8 months later...

The MGWR Ks-GSR/CIE 650 Class is a step nearer to introduction Jeremy has completed the pattern making and the wait was well worth it.

IMG_1864 (2).jpg

The patterns include parts for building the loco in MGWR or GSR/CIE condition.

Release date is likely to be (Northern) Autumn 2017, I need to locate a source of suitable motors now that Mashima have ceased production and revise some aspects of the design for customers that do not have a rivet press or rolling mill.

I am looking at the option of lost wax brass castings as an alternative to whitemetal particularly if demand is limited.

On a positive note I should be able to produce a MGWR Standard Goods, Heavy Shunting Tank or Achill Bogie a lot quicker as they shared many standard parts with the Ks/650 Class

IMG_1862 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The kit can be assembled in either late MGWR or GSR/CIE condition with round topped superheated boiler. The kit can be assembled with the late MGWR GNR style curved canopy cab, or the later Inchacore style of cab with either circular or rectangular spectacle plates.

The GSR & CIE cut slots in the valences of most MGWR from the mid1930s onwards, the odd engine escaped including one of the Achill Bogie 4-4-0s

650 Class Valences.jpg

I originally designed the kit with solid valences with the option of the builder forming the slots by drilling out and filing half etched sections of the valence.

I will look at releasing the kit with the option of solid or slotted valences as most of the demand is for the locos in late GSR/CIE condition.

The design of the kit is influenced by North Eastern Kits Tennant 2-4-0. The RM Web article will give an idea of what's involved in building the 650 Class though I have added non-working inside valve gear. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58520-ner-tennant-2-4-0/

I have completed what I hope are the final ammendments to the drawings for the photo engraver and send the patterns on the 1st stage of the mould making and casting process next week.

• 1 year later...

Was just wondering whether amongst all the time that is consumed by so many things in our lives (at least, mine) whether there might be any progress to report on this kit or the  full length/width CIE 'laminate' coaches, @MaynerJohn? These are little niche productions that I doubt will ever see light even from IRM due to the risk in having to take these to a larger production. Great little kits and I hope you find time to get get these to production at some point. Kind regards  

6 hours ago, DiveController said:

Was just wondering whether amongst all the time that is consumed by so many things in our lives (at least, mine) whether there might be any progress to report on this kit or the  full length/width CIE 'laminate' coaches, @MaynerJohn? These are little niche productions that I doubt will ever see light even from IRM due to the risk in having to take these to a larger production. Great little kits and I hope you find time to get get these to production at some point. Kind regards  

The last 12-18 months has been extremely busy with work and other commitments that I had very little time available for model railways including releasing the kit for the 650 Class and a number of other projects. I have been able to re-balance this year with more time available for model railways and other interests.

I expect to release the 650 Class at some stage in 2018, the final version of the artwork for the loco (with inside valve gear (non working)) is currently with the engravers and I am currently looking at a number of options for wheels gears and motors. 

At this stage I have not made a decision on developing or producing further kits.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello Mayner ,

the parcel arrived this morning in good order.

The postman did not demand any import tax.

The kit looks so good it seems a shame to spoil it by attempting to assemble it !

Next on the wish list are some MGWR 6 wheelers to go with it .

Many thanks , Brian.

• Like 2

Hello John,

Ditto to Brian's comments above.  

Very nice parcel arrived this morning with the Postman, and also no duties requested.

You were very good to roll the boiler, fire box and tender edges, which will greatly speed up work.

Looking forward to starting on this one once I get some wheels.

Kind Regards

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Thanks for the kits they arrived today, nothing extra to pay this time , out of interest what size motor did you design this around, I plan to get them and gear box from Branchlines who sell a lot of motors and boxes.

I am hoping to make a start later in the year once the Donegal stock has been built and the Ten (Yes 10) IOMR 2-4-0T's have made some progress, I have got enough kits to build about 20 2-4-0T if I want to.

I guess it was being in the right place at the right time when a lot of these kits became available in one batch, this was about 5 or 6 years ago now.

The biggest trouble for me is I have more than enough kits to last me for the rest of my life, but If i didn't get the kits now and if I just so happen, to find the time to build them at a later date the likely hood is they won't be in production 

Colin

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Hi John

Thanks for the kits they arrived today, nothing extra to pay this time , out of interest what size motor did you design this around, I plan to get them and gear box from Branchlines who sell a lot of motors and boxes.

I am hoping to make a start later in the year once the Donegal stock has been built and the Ten (Yes 10) IOMR 2-4-0T's have made some progress, I have got enough kits to build about 20 2-4-0T if I want to.

I guess it was being in the right place at the right time when a lot of these kits became available in one batch, this was about 5 or 6 years ago now.

The biggest trouble for me is I have more than enough kits to last me for the rest of my life, but If i didn't get the kits now and if I just so happen, to find the time to build them at a later date the likely hood is they won't be in production 

Colin

That was quick. I posted your kits on Saturday.

The Mashima 10X20 motors is probably the best option for a small 2-4-0 or 0-6-0.

I prefer the High Level "Road Runner +" & "Load Hauler +" gearboxes driving on the rear axle leaving the cab interior free.

I used a Branchlines "Slimline" box in a J15 but it may encroach more into the cab

IMG_3822.JPG.0f1d4a6e376636323baf941f58213567.JPGIMG_3832.JPG.e45a7eff97f033c75125b153ec35f962.JPG

Vertical motor in firebox High Level Road Runner + gearbox (excess motor shaft requires cutting off)

IMG_3838.JPG.b1a084d6b69da3fabaa6ef54df18f4ec.JPGIMG_3827.JPG.78e5aa3d0fdccd534fd6eaf546ef7a56.JPG

10X20 Mashima motor with flywheel horizontal in boiler firebox High Level Road Runner + gearbox

On 3/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, jhb171achill said:

What scale are the IOM locos, colin?

Hi John

They are all 4mm or 00n3 gauge, at one stage i had plans to build an IoMR based layout for them all to run on, but I got somewhat side tracked with the project so it has no progressed for a couple of years.

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Mayner said:

That was quick. I posted your kits on Saturday.

The Mashima 10X20 motors is probably the best option for a small 2-4-0 or 0-6-0.

I prefer the High Level "Road Runner +" & "Load Hauler +" gearboxes driving on the rear axle leaving the cab interior free.

I used a Branchlines "Slimline" box in a J15 but it may encroach more into the cab

IMG_3822.JPG.0f1d4a6e376636323baf941f58213567.JPGIMG_3832.JPG.e45a7eff97f033c75125b153ec35f962.JPG

Vertical motor in firebox High Level Road Runner + gearbox (excess motor shaft requires cutting off)

IMG_3838.JPG.b1a084d6b69da3fabaa6ef54df18f4ec.JPGIMG_3827.JPG.78e5aa3d0fdccd534fd6eaf546ef7a56.JPG

10X20 Mashima motor with flywheel horizontal in boiler firebox High Level Road Runner + gearbox

Thats great John thanks, I have just taken delivery of a London Road spot solder welder unit it works like a spot welder but acts like  a soldering Iron for Brass etc the advantage of this is you don't need to heat up a big brass kit to get a good solder join I hope to start to play with it next week but I have to find a suitable bit of steel / aluminum  to use as my base plate.

Colin 

• 7 months later...

Although I assembled the first test build over five years ago I hadn't gotten round to test running a loco until this week! The main challenge in designing a 2-4-0 or 4-4-0 is ensuring that there is enough weight on the driving wheels so that the loco is capable of hauling a reasonable load. The kit is designed with a weighted tender on the Mike Sharman "free bogie" system to transfer weight to the driving wheels to improve traction http://www.clag.org.uk/41-0rev.html#section12.2. The weight of the tender is supported by the drawbar and rear axle with the leading and center axle (non loadbearing)  lightly sprung to maintain power pickup and avoid de-railing.

IMG_4470.thumb.JPG.1a3c2fb925066011e297151d40820fc4.JPG

Tender weighted with 70gm lead

IMG_4472.thumb.JPG.bf6548e13d8789b0593c5a7adbb32982.JPG

Underside of loco and tender showing leading and center tender axles lightly sprung (0.4mm phosphor bronze) drawbar adjusted to transfer weight from tender to loco.

Loco and tender wheels are Markits OO gauge with "Live axle" with loco and tender picking up power on opposite sides with insulated drawbar on the "American System"

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

IMG_4475.thumb.JPG.fc428057e13c8a7b078194cb357c02ae.JPG

MGWR 33 Arrow at Keadue c1925. Name and number plates, vacuum pipe and coal to be added after painting.

Plans were floated as late as the 1920s for a broad gauge line from Collonney to Arigna together with proposals to convert the Cavan & Leitrim to Broad Gauge. The loco is OO so the difference in gauge is not as noticeable as with 21mm.

IMG_4476.thumb.JPG.64692f3086f825e26264eaa1a4c8c490.JPG

CIE 650 Y superheated boiler G2 at Keadue late 1940s early 50s. Difficult to clean up low temperature solder thinning around tender axleboxes and springs but should not be noticeable once painted.

Production version of Y boilered loco will feature cast brass chimney, snifting valve (behind chimney) and whistle.

Both locos have the same mechanical spec with a Mashima 10X20 motor, High level 35:1 gearbox and Markits 5'8" 18 spoke drivers calculated to run at a max (scale ) speed of 60mph a tad slower than the full sized locos.

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1