Cynwyd in N: based on closed station/goods yard on the Llangollen line; BR/GWR etc

Rate this topic

Having completed and exhibited Ballybeg (OO Irish circuit track), Llangollen (N GWR/BR circuit track) and Shunters Yard (OO GWR Compact Layout), I decided to look out for a prototype for an end-to-end (fiddle yard-to-fiddle yard) layout allowing me to use the N gauge rolling stock on Llangollen. I have identified a single line station and simple goods yard at Cynwyd just over two miles west of Corwen (the latest section to be restored from Llangollen) which fits the bill!

Cynwyd closed in late 1964 as part of the infamous cuts by Dr Beeching so it lasted well into early BR days. The goods yard as you will see from the photographs consisted of a run-around loop off the single line with two head-shunts running away from the cover of the goods shed. One head-shunt ran behind the station platform past a cattle dock. A weighing machine house was provided in the goods yard. I have selected Ratio kits which most closely resemble the prototype buildings for the model.

A new book on the Ruabon to Barmouth ("Llangollen") line has been published by Martin Williams who has kindly allowed me to reproduce some of the pre-closure photos in his book. I present some of these for info below and I will post up updates on layout progress from time to time (I have already started on building kits and on the wood work).

An early 1960s view of Cynwyd from the road bridge (John Roberts, Llanuwchllynn)

Cynwyd Station, c.1962.jpg

Cynwyd station platform (Peter Fisher)

Cynwyd Stat. Up Platform, c.1960.jpg

Cynwyd station c1910 (Neil Parkhouse Collection)

Cynwyd Station, c.1910.jpg

Cynwyd c1962 (Peter Fisher)

Cynwyd Station,  c.1963.jpg

Cynwyd c1912 (Mrs Gwyneth Williams Collection)

Cynwyd Station, c.1912.jpg

Cynwyd station entrance c1912 (Martin Williams Collection)

Cynwyd Station Entrance c.1912.jpg

Edited by Irishrailwayman

Best of luck with this new project Gerry,

Having only visited the real Llangollen railway last weekend for the first time,you certainly captured the place very well in miniature form,so I have no doubt your new layout will be much the same standard. .

Best of luck with this new project Gerry,

Having only visited the real Llangollen railway last weekend for the first time,you certainly captured the place very well in miniature form,so I have no doubt your new layout will be much the same standard. .

Thanks guys. Glad you liked visiting Llangollen (and my model) - I only got interested in GWR/early BR when I began visiting there each year on holidays. We love the town, canal walks, surrounding countryside, railway and friends we now meet each year. Unfortunately, there is almost no trace of the Cynwyd station left but thankfully the restoration to Corwen is progressing well with plans for a full size GWR terminus there in time. I will keep ye posted on model progress hopefully for public exhibition in the October WMRC show.

A couple of shots of the bare boards for information. The main scenic section is 4 foot six inches (54cm) by 9 inches deep 23 cm (additional space provided behind back-scene for control instrumentation and power supplies brings total depth to 1 foot 30cm). The fiddle yards either end measure 28 inches (71cm) by 8 inches (20cm). These will each hold three rail lines 2 foot (61cm) to hold/despatch trains. A sector plate will allow the lines to be alternated manually.

DSCF1109.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

DSCF1111.jpg

DSCF1112.jpg

DSCF1113.jpg

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

DSCF1117.jpg

DSCF1118.jpg

Hi Irishrailwayman

this is not a critical comment but maybe you would consider next time to curve the background it might look smoother :)

Best regards

Walter

Thanks, the technique I am using here is to have mirrors at each end for continuity rather than curved ends. The idea overall is that the scenic section (4ft 6ins) is readily stored on a shelf yet can be set up quickly with the fiddle yards for operation. Similarly, the units will fit into a car for transport to exhibitions etc.

Thanks' date=' the technique I am using here is to have mirrors at each end for continuity rather than curved ends. The idea overall is that the scenic section (4ft 6ins) is readily stored on a shelf yet can be set up quickly with the fiddle yards for operation. Similarly, the units will fit into a car for transport to exhibitions etc.[/quote']

It's progressing nicely.

• 2 months later...

Just completed wiring of trackwork for Cynwyd. Power is by DC using a Morley Controllers Vesta Zero Two double controller: one output for the main-line and the other for the Goods Yard for Manual Control. Automatic Shuttle between the two 3-way sector plate fiddle yards (with intermediate station slow/stops in both directions) is provided by way of a Heathcote Electronic's system SA1.1. This requires a separate 16v AC power unit (Gaugemaster M1 Twin Output transformer) and a DPDT switch on the main-line. Reed switch sensors are fitted between the rails and these are activated by tiny magnets fitted to the front/end of rolling stock. The sector plates are moved manually and a connector clip ensures only the appropriate line is energised. With three lines per sector plate, this will enable 5 trains to be readied for use at any one time. Additionally, four Peco electromagnetic uncouplers have been fitted around the Goods Yard to enable remote shunting of goods trains. Power is provided by the second 16v AC output of the Gaugemaster M1 Transformer. The electromagnets only work when pushing a button switch and these attract a metal attachment on the Peco ELC couplers. These will be operable from either the front or back of the layout allowing for home or exhibition sessions of playing trains. Points/turnouts will be operated by push wire again from back or front of the layout.

The resulting wiring looks like spaghetti junction but has been carefully colour-coded and labelled for future reference!

Next up: more wood to box off the fiddle yards for exhibition purposes (removeable for home use), ballast the track and then to fitting the buildings and scenery in place...

DSCF1156.jpg

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1142.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg

DSCF1146.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

DSCF1148.jpg

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

DSCF1153.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

DSCF1155.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For this prototype I chose Peco brown stone ballast (fine grade PS-28). I used Deluxe's Ballast Bond product which worked really well - just drop the liquid from the bottle onto the dry ballast powder brushed carefully against the track bed. Two pics here show someof the buildings fitted roughly for size. Note the push-rods for the points operable from front and back of layout.

Next up: complete some more woodwork, re-test layout operation, commence groundwork for scenics and fitting of buildings,mirrors etc...

DSCF1165.jpg

DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

DSCF1163.jpg

DSCF1164.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wiring completed, controls labelled and ready for testing. Each piece of rolling stock (at the front and end of each train formation) must have a small magnet attached beneath it in order to trigger the reed switches buried in the track ballast and wired to the electronic shuttle/station-stop board. This enables the automatic train shuttle to work: slow start, acceleration, slow down entering station, station stop, wait time, slow acceleration, full speed to end-of-fiddle yard, stop, wait time, reverse and repeat sequence. Each parameter can be varied as appropriate.

With three lines on each fiddle-yard sector plate, a different train (5 in total, one in-transit) may be released from either fiddle-yard by gently moving the appropriate running line into place manually and connecting it electrically using the bulldog clip.

The main-line may alternatively be operated manually at the flick of a switch. The Goods Yard works on manual only with the turn-outs operated easily by simple push/pull rods (elegant and simple!).

Goods wagons will need modification to operate with the Peco Electromagnetic un-coupler system. Then the canvas will finally be ready to develop the scenic section of the lay-out...

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg

DSCF1174.jpg

DSCF1173.jpg

DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1171.jpg

DSCF1170.jpg

DSCF1169.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1167.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

DSCF1176.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Moving on to the scenic work: first it is necessary to add the fascia/front board suitably shaped to suggest undulating countryside beside the rails. Next the specially cut mirrors are added to each end for an "infinity" or continuity illusion. The platform is glued in place allowing rolling stock to clear each side and ends. The completed buildings are placed temporarily to allow the landscape to be created around them and for the composition to flow as naturally as possible.

DSCF1215.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg

Bridge now in place and work commenced on scenery using crumpled damp newspaper/PVA glue as a base for Polyfilla impregnated cloth. Further layers of Polyfilla to be added allowing each to dry and harden. Looks like a heavy snowfall but this will change when an undercoat of grey paint is added to protect the hard shell!

DSCF1228.jpg

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1221.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1225.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

• 1 month later...

In answer to a query on Cynwyd's push/pull rod system for turnout changes, I use K&S Precision Metal Brass Rod 3/64 inches (1.19 mm) Product #8161 available on-line from Kernow Model Rail Centre, UK supplied as 4 by 30.5 mm rods.

I fit these across underneath the layout through 3mm holes enabling operation from front or back of layout with just 1 cm protruding either side (you could have them operate from one side only if you wish). I channel these underneath with short sections of narrow plastic rawl plug glued to the baseboard. The "L" section of rod that protrudes through the baseboard to pass through the turnout/point is attached to the main push rod using standard electrical connectors with screw fittings.

I have used this system successfully on my Llangollen (N gauge, DC) as well as my Shunters Yard (OO gauge, DCC) layouts and it enables fast, simple turnout changes especially useful for shunting (both layouts are on separate threads on IRM.com).

A couple of pics might make this description clearer. Double-sided sticky pads and insulating tape are used to hold the rods in place under the baseboard.

DSCF1361.jpg

DSCF1362.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That looks outstanding - superb scenery!

Thanks JHB. This is a demo of an N-gauge shelf-top/layout-on-a-plank (4.5 feet and only 9 inches deep!) which could be adapted as an Irish outline. There are three-way fiddle yards at each end with the facility to auto-shuttle rolling stock units from either end with a slow-stop-wait at the station! The Goods Yard is fitted to allow for remote shunting of wagons. I have to add more trees and will later post pics with GWR/early-BR rolling stock.

Cynwyd is scheduled to make it's exhibition debut at the Wexford Easter Show in 2017 D.V.