Daryl's Workbench

Rate this topic

daryl43068

Hi All,

Sprayed the orange today, and with the black and the white stripes, it seems to have 'calmed down' (excuse the bad light)

25772645753_3a9f5fa403_c.jpg

I have also picked out the door handles and grab rails in black along with the window bars in silver, along with the gangway door handle,

26349484786_686cb37028_c.jpg

And I have also weathered the roof. The silver patches are where the Maskol was. The rusty effect was created using Humbrol weathering powders (Iron Oxide, Rust and Dark Earth). I then gave the roof an overall dusting of Smoke weathering powder, with the odd stray Rust/ Dark Earth getting in creating some variation.

25772648023_e457931fc3_c.jpg

Next step is to gloss the bodysides ready for the transfers.

Cheers

Daryl

• Like 1

Hi All,

Applied the transfers today. The transfers are from Railtec Transfers and while I have used the transfers before, and they have been superb, these were a sod to apply. Anyway, on to some photos,

General view of the sides. One of the 'capacity load 5 tons evenly distributed', the lettering came off the transfer, and was too bad to carry on, so one of them has been replaced with a UK version, slightly different wording and a different size, but think I have got away with it.

25820762934_bd440f257c_c.jpg

The orange/red squares and warning flashes

26333251462_5d9c0a0d61_c.jpg

And solebar lettering. Haven't got a clue what its for!

26359417401_f759babc3d_c.jpg

I couldn't resist an overall shot...

26399668286_0b808af21d_c.jpg

Cheers

Daryl

• Like 1

Hi All,

Sprayed the orange today, and with the black and the white stripes, it seems to have 'calmed down' (excuse the bad light)

25772645753_3a9f5fa403_c.jpg

I have also picked out the door handles and grab rails in black along with the window bars in silver, along with the gangway door handle,

26349484786_686cb37028_c.jpg

And I have also weathered the roof. The silver patches are where the Maskol was. The rusty effect was created using Humbrol weathering powders (Iron Oxide, Rust and Dark Earth). I then gave the roof an overall dusting of Smoke weathering powder, with the odd stray Rust/ Dark Earth getting in creating some variation.

25772648023_e457931fc3_c.jpg

Next step is to gloss the bodysides ready for the transfers.

Cheers

Daryl

lovely lining, whats your technique

Thanks Junctionmad, I sprayed the white then used Aizu 1.0mm x 5m Micron Masking Tape. For me it's straighter and less wobbly than transfers.

Hi Daryl

Just to clarify, did you paint a white coat first, then place a piece of masking tape over the white where each strip should be, then paint the black and tan above and below the mask, and then pull the mask off to reveal the white stripe?

Or paint the black and tan first, then mask either side of the stripe location, and finally spray white along the two parallel masked tapes?

From reading your answer to JM I just wasn't sure which. :)

Cheers

Noel

Hi Daryl

Just to clarify, did you paint a white coat first, then place a piece of masking tape over the white where each strip should be, then paint the black and tan above and below the mask, and then pull the mask off to reveal the white stripe?

Or paint the black and tan first, then mask either side of the stripe location, and finally spray white along the two parallel masked tapes?

From reading your answer to JM I just wasn't sure which. :)

Cheers

Noel

Hi Noel

Yeah I sprayed the white, then used the 1mm masking tape to mask off the white. I then sprayed the black, masked that up, then sprayed the orange.

Hope that helps :)

Daryl

Hi All,

Had a bit of a problem with the final matt varnish layer. I used Phoenix Paints PAV82 Matt Varnish, which is ready thinned for airbrushing. Never had a problem before, but this time it went spotty. After searching the web, the problem is the varnish isn't mixed enough. I did mix it to (what I thought was fully mixed) and it obviously wasn't enough. The spotting it the matting agent not mixed in. The options were to start again, or as other folk have done, carefully rub the matting agent off with a white spirit soaked cotton bud, which scared the hell out of me!

26209331600_34a8196f50_c.jpg

Anyway I carefully flattened down the bodysides in vertical strokes with a very fine emery board, think it was 1000 grit designed for buffing nails. It has removed the spotty-ness and has accidentally produced some nice variations in tones on the bodyside. The photo above shows a sanded bodyside compared the the untouched one. I have ordered some Testors Dullcote, after people have said they have ha no problems and use it instead of Phoenix, Railmatch etc.

Anyway, I assembled the coach and temporally popped the glazing back in and took advantage of the nice weather for some photos outside.

26482183455_873ccd305c_c.jpg

The weathered ends suffered from the same problem, but have taken on a white dusty finish. Will have to play with it to try and remove the white dusty effect.

25879350833_3c575cfa3e_c.jpg

The weathering is Railmatch 402 Frame Dirt, with the axle boxes, buffers and coupling sprayed with Railmatch 403 Roof Dirt mixed with a few dropsof Humbrol Metalcote (27004). The steps on the fuel tank were cleaned slightly to represent scuff marks where staff climb up.

I also took the opportunity to weather my rake of Cravens. Nothing special, and using the colours mentioned above, plus Railmatch 412 Weathered Black on the roof. The bodysides are untouched.

26456280156_a76ae83bd2_c.jpg

And a shot of the GSV and Craven. When I've got a bit more time will get the big camera out to get a better depth of field.

26389884292_5e692b3dab_c.jpg

Cheers

Daryl

• WOW! 1