MIR Hunslet DL Kit

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

26 answers to this question

Any advice on where to source a modern chassis to run the Hunslet? It would be intended for a DCC layout if it ever gets built…

Bachmann class 20 DCC ready or other?

The Bachmann class 20 is the way to go, by all accounts. However, I just had a look at the prices they are going for on eBay and nearly fell out of my seat... the cheapest 'buy it now' price is €127.23, with a lot being offered for close to €250 or more, right up to €326.88. And that's all excluding postage.

Kevin, the Bachmann 20 chassis is the option to go for, and can be obtained reasonably cheaply on ebay, if you are prepared to bide your time. Be prepared for some surgery on ths chassis to get it to fit into the body. I have all three Hunslets, two Silver Fox and one Model Irish Railways. My first Hunslet, a Silver Fox took the chassis without any modification at all to the chassis. The second, a secondhand MIR, came complete with chassis, which had had surgery, but too much taken off, and I had to add about 3mm to it for a snug fit. My third, another Silver Fox had to have about 0.75mm shaved off the chassis for it to fit.

Edited by Dhu Varren

The Bachmann class 20 is the way to go, by all accounts. However, I just had a look at the prices they are going for on eBay and nearly fell out of my seat... the cheapest 'buy it now' price is €127.23, with a lot being offered for close to €250 or more, right up to €326.88. And that's all excluding postage.

Yes, I had looked there with the same feelings as you. There are some cheaper used but would prefer the reliability of a new unit, I think? How reliable is the class 20 if I were to go for used, I wonder?

Kevin, the Bachmann 20 chassis is the option to go for, and can be obtained reasonably cheaply on ebay, if you are prepared to bide your time. Be prepared for some surgery on ths chassis to get it to fit into the body. I have all three Hunslets, two Silver Fox and one Model Irish Railways. My first Hunslet, a Silver Fox took the chassis without any modification at all to the chassis. The second, a secondhand MIR, came complete with chassis, which had had surgery, but too much taken off, and I had to add about 3mm to it for a snug fit. My third, another Silver Fox had to have about 0.75mm shaved off the chassis for it to fit.

That's reassuring, David, doesn't sound like too much work to get them to mate together. Are the bogies on the Class 20 correct for the Hunslet? Will probably bide my time at these prices and get one with yellow detail on the bogies sides, should be easy to blacken it out

Yes, I had looked there with the same feelings as you. There are some cheaper used but would prefer the reliability of a new unit, I think? How reliable is the class 20 if I were to go for used, I wonder?

That's reassuring, David, doesn't sound like too much work to get them to mate together. Are the bogies on the Class 20 correct for the Hunslet? Will probably bide my time at these prices and get one with yellow detail on the bogies sides, should be easy to blacken it out

I very rarely buy new locos, apart from Murphy Models, and have never had any problems that were not mentioned when buying.

The 20 bogies are as close as you are ever going to get with a RTR loco. They are of the correct pattern, but the wheelbase is slightly long for a Hunslet. There is also the issue of the sanding equipment. The Hunslets did not have any, but the 20 does.

I very rarely buy new locos, apart from Murphy Models, and have never had any problems that were not mentioned when buying.

The 20 bogies are as close as you are ever going to get with a RTR loco. They are of the correct pattern, but the wheelbase is slightly long for a Hunslet. There is also the issue of the sanding equipment. The Hunslets did not have any, but the 20 does.

Thanks, David. Can the sanding equipment be pared away... once I figure out where it is?

533_200811_070000000.jpg

Heres my old one, just to echo what the lads have already said buy a secondhand bachmann cl 20, sell the body on ebay or another site (you'd be surprised how much they tend to go for :) ).

To get the body to fit the chassis a few mm at each end needs to be paired off. Theres loads of decent pics in the net and if your stuck i ll send you on a few close up piccys. The class 20 chassis will easily pull a full realistic rake of coaches around any layout.

Thanks, Tom. Some previous photos of great service!:tumbsup:

One potential consideration might be the addition of sound

I happened accross this on Rails website

https://railsofsheffield.com/railroad-class-20-20163-locomotive-with-tts-sound-2016-range-r3394tts-hornby-railroad-JJJA29918.aspx

R3394TTS (Twin Track Sound) does not seem to appear on the Hornby website, so I'm not sure if this has been comissioned by Rails?

The prime mover in the Hunslet was the English Electric CSVT (I think it had 8 cylinders?.... open to correction)

The prime mover in the BR Class 20 was the EE 8SVT (turbocharged V traction engine but without an intercooler). Since nobody is going to be getting a soundfile from 102 any time soon, I'm making the assumption that the soundfile from a Class 20 would sound pretty similar to the Hunslet.

I would probably not be prepared to sacrifice very good running (& slow running) from a Bachmann class 20 for a motor that is obviously inferior to it. I don't know how good or bad the Hornby Class 20 motor is. From what I have read online, the rehashed/rebranded version of the Lima Class 20 is not quite hitting the mark as a modern motor.

Does anyone know if this is something new from Hornby :praying:

(wishful thinking most likely) or have experience with the present most 'modern' version Hornby Class 20 motor.

Before you all laugh, we had some video of a Hornby Class 55 in action (as a potential metrovick donor chassis) a couple of days ago and it performed surprisingly better than would have been anticipated

Edited by DiveController

Thanks, David. Can the sanding equipment be pared away... once I figure out where it is?

20 2.jpg

Kevin, the sandboxes and pipes on the Bachmann 20 are separate parts fitted to the bogie frame, and normally can be prised off quite easily, depending on how much adhesive has been used. What remains can be pared off with a craft knife. Having said that, one of my 20 chassis had got sandboxes which are part of the bogie frame moulding, and which are more difficult to remove cleanly.

Another tip when fitting the body to the chassis. The NIR Hunslet was a very tall loco compared to Mk 2 coaches, and the kit makes the model look extremely tall. I found that by lowering the body as much as possible on the chassis makes a much more acceptable height. To do this requires the removal of the battery box detail from the chassis. The battery boxes are separate plastic parts glued to the metal underframe, and can be prised off, with care if you want to reuse them. I sold mine on ebay. Removing the battery boxes will allow the body to sit lower. The kit body should have more correct underframe detail as part of the moulding. Next, to allow the body to sit lower, some of the resin inside the roof will need to be scraped away to clear the DCC connector, and, if it a sound fitted chassis, some material will need to be removed to clear the speaker. The roof is quite thick where material needs to be removed, so there is no danger of scraping through. I used a craft knife with a chisel blade to cut and scrape away the resin, which is not as difficult as it sounds. The end result is well worth the effort.

I'm making the assumption that the soundfile from a Class 20 would sound be pretty similar to the Hunslet.

I would probably not be prepared to sacrifice very good running (& slow running) from a Bachmann class 20 for a motor that is obviously inferior to it. I don't know how good or bad the Hornby Class 20 motor is. From what I have read online, the rehashed/rebranded version of the Lima Class 20 is not quite hitting the mark as a modern motor.

Does anyone know if this is something new from Hornby

Kevin, the Hunslet sounds just like a 20, so I was told by Jim Edgar of Markle Video, so I have all three of my Hunslets fitted with 20 sound. I am not so sure about horns though, and I have used NIR horn sounds recorded from various sources.

The Hornby 20 appears to be the basic Lima version with minor changes, such as a DCC socket, and pickups fitted to the driving bogie. The tyres on the driving bogie have been reduced from four to two, so there should be a slight improvement in running with the extra pickups. I don't know about pulling power though. Certainly the overall running qualities would not be a patch on the Class 55, which has been totally revamped with a new motor and drive, plus pickups on all twelve wheels.

Looks like no recommendation for the Hornby 20 yet. If anyone is aware that this is a new build like the and not the Lima rehash, would you please post on this thread? Thanks in advance

The Hunslet sounds just like a 20, all three of my Hunslets fitted with 20 sound. I have used NIR horn sounds recorded from various sources.

David, what sound chip are you using for the Hunslet and how did you program the horn?

The Hornby 20 appears to be the basic Lima version with minor changes, such as a DCC socket, and pickups fitted to the driving bogie

If I look for a secondhand Bachmann Class 20, are there different variations out there? Presumably I would be looking for a recent build. Any advice appreciated

David, what sound chip are you using for the Hunslet and how did you program the horn?

The sound programme is my own and was compiled, and the sound decoder programmed, using a Lokprogrammer. A friend was a great home video enthusiast 30 years ago, and has hours of BR video recordings that he made. The horns are recordings of NIR horns, which may or may not be appropriate for Hunslets, but are better than the Bachmann 20 horns.

If I look for a secondhand Bachmann Class 20, are there different variations out there? Presumably I would be looking for a recent build. Any advice appreciated

As far as the chassis is concerned, there are two variations. One has an 8 pin DCC socket, the other a 21 pin connector. If it is sound fitted it will have the 21 pin connector, if not sound fitted, it could have either. The 8 pin chassis does not have a place for a speaker, so one would have to be created by physically rearranging the chassis and fittings. I did this with one of my Hunslets which utilises an 8 pin chassis.

Known 21 pin chassis locos are 20034 and D8158. 8 pin chassis 20052. Hope this helps.

As far as the chassis is concerned, there are two variations. One has an 8 pin DCC socket, the other a 21 pin connector. If it is sound fitted it will have the 21 pin connector, if not sound fitted, it could have either. The 8 pin chassis does not have a place for a speaker, so one would have to be created by physically rearranging the chassis and fittings. I did this with one of my Hunslets which utilises an 8 pin chassis.

Known 21 pin chassis locos are 20034 and D8158. 8 pin chassis 20052. Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I needed!:tumbsup::tumbsup:

I have been looking into the Bachmann Class 20 with sound and there seems to be more than one sound chip available. It seems that Bachmann did their own chip which came installed (or at least included with)the Class 20. Howes models also seem to have done their own chip or can reblow one with their sound file. Some reports suggest that this is a better sound except the horns (if it's for a Hunslet). Does anyone British outline modeller on here have experience with the Class 20 sound? Does anyone know what SWD sound refers to? Opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have been looking into the Bachmann Class 20 with sound and there seems to be more than one sound chip available. It seems that Bachmann did their own chip which came installed (or at least included with)the Class 20. Howes models also seem to have done their own chip or can reblow one with their sound file. Some reports suggest that this is a better sound except the horns (if it's for a Hunslet). Does anyone British outline modeller on here have experience with the Class 20 sound? Does anyone know what SWD sound refers to? Opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance

SWD - South West Digital

The original Bachmann soundchip was quite awful. However, on their most recent releases they redid it and now it sounds superb.

Have had good service with Howes.

Gone off DCC sound personally so havent bought any but Legomanbiffo sound files have received excellent reviews. You can buy them off DC Kits http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/

I would agree with Warbonnet about the early Bachmann 20 sound. At speed, it always reminded me of a demented lawnmower. I cannot comment on their latest version as I have not heard it, but certainly, the Howes version is much better, as is Legomanbiffo's sound. The latest Bachmann 20 sound has probably been rehashed to work on the latest, much better, Loksound V4 decoder. As for horns, if you speak nicely to whoever is reblowing a decoder for you, they can quite easily change the horn sound for you, if you can provide a sound recording for them, or can suggest a suitable alternative from their existing BR loco range.

Thank you both for replying in such a timely fashion! Was considering something but may hold off for now until I figure this out better. Had listened to a couple of locos but some didn't sound quite right and now I understand why

Known 21 pin chassis locos are 20034 and D8158

Are these the modern ones I shjould be trying to look for?

Does anyone know if the Loksound 3.5 DS decoder can be reblown with new sound files or just the 4.0? There is a bewildering array of Bachmann class 20s out there and none too cheap. Figuring which have directional lighting is an issue also

I'm pretty sure no Bachmann 20s have directional lighting. None of my 6 do anyway and some of them are recent releases.

Does anyone know if the Loksound 3.5 DS decoder can be reblown with new sound files or just the 4.0?

No. The soundfiles are made specifically for both decoders. You could contact the vendor and ask them if they supply a file for the 3.5 but the 3.5 is no longer made so they probably won't.