Jason's Workbench

Rate this topic

JasonB

• 2 months later...

This has been gathering dust for a while so I thought it was about time I had a go at my SSM 42' bogie flat.Its just the one for now as this is more of a practice run for myself before going ahead and investing in some more.So far the underside spine and bracing have been added to the main frame and yesterday evening I made a start on the container locks which are tiny but well worth the work when finished.
100_1125.jpg

100_1089.jpg

100_1094.jpg

100_1099.jpg

• Agree 1

Thanks for the comments guys very much appreciated.Popeye the 40ft sits nice and snug onto the flat and doesn't move at all which is great.The 20ft however is just sitting on it in the photo so once its on the move it will fall off.I do have a couple of ideas in mind how to sort it so it should be an easy fix.Rich the rust is made up from Humbrol weathering powders.I use a mix of Iron oxide Dark earth and Rust.I just brush it all over the area I'm working on and then gradually take it back off until I get the look I'm after.Once that's done just seal with matt varnish.

• 4 weeks later...

When you look at photos of the prototype it seems that the doors covered and sat slightly outside the sole bars of the wagon dropping almost to the height of the brake lever when closed. The model seems to have been designed with the correct number of ribs but sits atop the solebar creating an awkward tall aspect to the model. Ideally the solebar would need to be reduced to allow the top to sit over it, which may not be possible. The profile of the wagon is very much improved. Nice modification:tumbsup:

Glenderg posted some shots which demonstrate it fairly well

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4286-MIR-Drop-Side-cement-Wagon?highlight=drop+side+cement

Edited by DiveController

When you look at photos of the prototype it seems that the doors covered and sat slightly outside the sole bars of the wagon dropping almost to the height of the brake lever when closed. The model seems to have been designed with the correct number of ribs but sits atop the solebar creating an awkward tall aspect to the model. Ideally the solebar would need to be reduced to allow the top to sit over it, which may not be possible. The profile of the wagon is very much improved. Nice modification:tumbsup:

Glenderg posted some shots which demonstrate it fairly well

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4286-MIR-Drop-Side-cement-Wagon?highlight=drop+side+cement

Cheers Dive.Exactly as you say,when I was comparing the model to photos of the prototype it just looked too tall to me.But it not only looked too tall it was when I had it alongside my curtain side cement wagons which was the reason behind cutting them down.Next job will be to put them back together and add a little weathering and they should look fine.