Parting shot

Rate this topic

Kirley

Just got my copy of this book and would recommend it as a must have.

<a href=Parting%20Shot.jpg' alt='Parting%20Shot.

Norman Johnston founder of Colourpoint Books in Newtownards passed away on August 31, 2014.

Before his death he decided to write a book around all the photographs of trains and stations he had taken down the years. The book, now published posthumously, draws from his collection of photographs taken on Irish railways between 1964 and 1973, accompanied by extended captions, anecdotes and personal reflections.

He dedicated the royalties to the RPSI for the restoration of Locomotive No. 131.

It can be got here

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/shop/

I'm very out of touch with the railway scene these days and didn't even know that Norman Johnston had passed away - a true gentleman. Mention of his name always brings back a now funny but at the time acutely embarrassing memory for me. Norman was paying his first visit to the new C&L Rly at Dromod and during conversation with yours truly made some reference to the 'Cantonese Sausage' . I duly nodded in agreement not understanding what on earth he meant and hoping he would move on to another subject but he was looking for a response! I mumbled something about the Cantonese Sausage.....which seemed to stun the poor man until somebody else translated for me - the Kent & East Sussex! You couldn't make it up and I wished the ground would open up and swallow me. That must be more than 20 years ago and I still remember the incident like it happened yesterday. He did have quite a strong accent.....