iPhone/iPad Wireless CABS - Setting up JMRI + WiThrottle

Rate this topic

Noel

Here are some basic steps to use iPhone and/or iPad as a low cost wireless CAB control on most popular DCC systems. You can control up to TWO locos from an iPhone, and FOUR from an iPad.

Prerequisites:

1. Laptop or PC must be on the same WIFI network as the iPhone/iPad
  2. JMRI must support your vendors DCC controller - most are supported (check JMRI website)
  3. You will need either and RS232 serial cable or a USB cable to connect your DCC controller to your laptop.
  4. Install the free WiThrottleLite app on an iPhone or iPad (later if you like it you can buy the full version for €8.99)

1. Install JMRI on Laptop, PC or Mac. Connect to RS232 or USB port.

2. Configure JMRI Connectivity to your vendors DCC Control Unit

JMRI1_ControllerInterface.png

3. Check JMRI is communicating with your DCC controller. Look for green ONLINE message in the bottom of the JMRI window.

4. Add one or more of your LOCOs to JMRIs Loco Roster List. Choose Decoder, enter loco address and a description

JMRI2_LocoRosterList.png

5. Try driving one of your LOCOs using the JMRI Throttle. This will act as a test to ensure JMRI can interface with your DCC controller.

JMRA2a_Throttle.png

6. Start JMRI's WiThrottle Server. Use Actions menu. This will listen for iPhones or iPads on the same WIFI network running WiThrottle app

JMRI3_WiThrottleServer.png

7. Start WiThrottle App and choose a loco to control by using SET. WiThrottle will display your Loco inventory from the JMRI Loco Roster List. Swipe to Throttle page and drive!

ef36ac3c-4fbc-41e8-8d91-04f94fc62479.png

8. JMRI can label each locos decoder functions in plain english. The labels are transferred to the iPhone/iPad apps

JMRI4_Decoder_FunctionLabels.png

9. WiThrottle App with custom function labels. (Murphy 071 Sound Decoder)

59da5101-914e-4752-9875-3ae2dbef3a56.png

Have fun. The best thing about this is you can use old phones as free hand held wireless cab controls, or pay only €9 for the full WiThrottle app.

iPad/WiThrottle controlling TWO locos

JMRI_WiThrottle_iPadTwinControl.jpg

Edited by Noel

You can also get a JMRI throttle app on android, just found it on the play store. You can also get a sprog and connect it to your laptop then you don't need a DCC controller.

Hi Dave. Yes Engine Driver JMRI Throttle seems to do the same job on android phones and tablets.

Happy days wireless cabs walking around layouts. :)

Ideally such cab apps should be able to interface directly with decent DCC control systems using WIFI (i.e. instead of needing a PC/Laptop/Mac in between), but turkeys don't vote for christmas, so I guess DCC system vendors don't want us all to use our phones instead of buying their propriertory cabs. The WiThrottle app has saved me from having to buy two additional cabs. And WiThrottle has a more direct interface to higher value functions than most cabs I've seen (i.e. no need for silly shift buttons). This is useful for sound equipped decoders with many useful functions above FN 0-9 (e.g: notching GM motors up/down).

Engine Driver - Android App

GujISDx8--37bqN30y1fYbVmFITm8b9A9NuaMMrmicop8v6-Bz6taAVr0AdBTvR5sEM=h900

I was talking to the lads from the MRSI on Sunday in Portlaoise, they were using the Roco Z21 system that uses tablets and phones for cab control. It's come on in leaps and bounds over the last year and it's now only £280 in Hattons. It's compatible with a lot of other controllers too. I think this is the one I will go for.

I was talking to the lads from the MRSI on Sunday in Portlaoise, they were using the Roco Z21 system that uses tablets and phones for cab control. It's come on in leaps and bounds over the last year and it's now only £280 in Hattons. It's compatible with a lot of other controllers too. I think this is the one I will go for.

i spent ages with the lads aswell and what their system could do was just amazing and as you say its compatable with other controllers like my Lenz.

JMRI with an IPhone or IPad seems a very good approach. JMRI is or can be made compatible with most DCC systems.

Interestingly Digtrax has just announced that it is discontinuing the UR91 receiver for its Simplex radio system, potentially forcing users to upgrade to its "Duplex" system at $150US per receiver & $65 throttle upgrade.

JMRI with an IPhone or IPad seems a very good approach. JMRI is or can be made compatible with most DCC systems.

Yes before I tried it I was a bit sceptical about the bother of having a laptop in the mix, but got one of my retired old laptops, wiped it clean and put JMRI on it. No AV nor bloat ware, just JMRI, so it boots/hibernates like a rocket and lives under the layout like a black box. I was surprised how well it works, especially with iPad in 4 throttle mode controlling 4 locos without switching or recalls. Saved me a packet on wireless cab gear and extra cabs.

Using iPad as Central command station, 4 throttles, iPhone for wireless walk around

JMRI_WiThrottle_iPadQuadControl.jpg

5 cabs for FREE

Edited by Noel

Good pal LJM dropped over Wednesday for a look at JMRI and WiThrottle in operation. Certainly the iPhone app is way more useable especially for functions with English labels than any cab I've had a chance to play with so far. For example, how is one supposed to remember that the 8 key is for a cab light on a keypad? With the app the function buttons are labeled in English. Bye bye wireless cab sales.

Good pal LJM dropped over Wednesday for a look at JMRI and WiThrottle in operation. Certainly the iPhone app is way more useable especially for functions with English labels than any cab I've had a chance to play with so far. For example, how is one supposed to remember that the 8 key is for a cab light on a keypad? With the app the function buttons are labeled in English. Bye bye wireless cab sales.

Inspired by your thread, I have set up JMRI and WiThrottle to see what it is all about. Apart from a weak wireless connection, causing the iPhone to regularly drop out when moving around, which I suspect is to do with the metal foil surrounding the insulation between the roofspace and the floor below where the WAP is, the system looks promising. A WAP in the roofspace would probably sort that problem out.

I am keeping an open mind on whether I like having to look at the screen, when operating. There is something about the feel of three dimensional buttons that make operating easier, as you can ‘feel’ your way around the throttle without having to take your eyes off what you are driving. I will just have to wait and see once the system is fully operational.

As far as the function buttons being labelled is concerned, it is very nice to have, but since all my loco functions have been standardised to use the same buttons for every loco, I know exactly which buttons do what. Having said that, of course, visitors would not know, but whose railway is it anyway.

Inspired by your thread, I have set up JMRI and WiThrottle to see what it is all about. Apart from a weak wireless connection, causing the iPhone to regularly drop out when moving around, which I suspect is to do with the metal foil surrounding the insulation between the roofspace and the floor below where the WAP is, the system looks promising. A WAP in the roofspace would probably sort that problem out.

I am keeping an open mind on whether I like having to look at the screen, when operating. There is something about the feel of three dimensional buttons that make operating easier, as you can ‘feel’ your way around the throttle without having to take your eyes off what you are driving. I will just have to wait and see once the system is fully operational.

As far as the function buttons being labelled is concerned, it is very nice to have, but since all my loco functions have been standardised to use the same buttons for every loco, I know exactly which buttons do what. Having said that, of course, visitors would not know, but whose railway is it anyway.

Hope you found the exploring process fun. :) Our WIFI router is downstairs and through a 9" block wall (Apple Airport Extreme), but the signal upstairs seems good enough for the iPhones to operate without a lag or missing soft key touches. Agree with you about the tactile feel of a knob v screen vision. However in my case a wireless cab setup would cost an additional €145 for the base transceiver and another €165 per wireless cab, and NCE is no where near as expensive as ESU or Zimo. The phone gives me an inexpensive method of walking freely outside the layout to view traffic, or inside. I will probably buy one more wired cab with a rotary knob for shunting in the main terminus station. The iPad could operate as a fixed central base station operating four throttles for the four continuous loops. Good night.

• 2 weeks later...

WAP now installed in the roofspace. No longer any problems with iPhone dropping out and losing control. Still in two minds as to whether I prefer a using a controller with buttons and an extension lead, or a wireless touchscreen. Certainly, unless going for a good operating session, then for quickness in starting up, the old fashioned wired connection has the edge.

WAP now installed in the roofspace. No longer any problems with iPhone dropping out and losing control. Still in two minds as to whether I prefer a using a controller with buttons and an extension lead, or a wireless touchscreen. Certainly, unless going for a good operating session, then for quickness in starting up, the old fashioned wired connection has the edge.

Good to hear. Yes the tactile feel of buttons v wireless walkabout can be a compromise. However what makes the difference for me personally is the smartphone app is far simpler and superior at controlling sound functions than hand held cabs with only 10 buttons labelled 0-9. On the app each function is clearly labeled on the touch screen buttons in english rather than having to remember which function is which sound and also negating the need for a shift button to access functions above 10 which is a common need with sound decoders. The other aspect of the phone cab I like is the visual feedback of the current speed setting which many of the wired cabs do not have.

I regret recently buying an additional NCE 06P cab and I have to say IMHO it's a total piece of 1970s junk with its pathetic information display and rotary knob the size of a ferris wheel on steroids. It reminds me of the 'valve' based radiograms my parents used to listen to the radio on (then called a wireless). :) It's hard to believe NCE are the same company that produce the very usable Pro/Power Cabs and also the Jurassic 06 cab. It's old iPhones from here on as additional cabs. I may stick JMRI on Linux on a dedicated older laptop as a permanent fixture on the layout with instant on/off capability, rather than my former Windows 7 laptop. As a relatively recent Mac convert I have become totally intolerant of any Windows startup delays.

Edited by Noel

• 4 weeks later...