Rachelstown and St Stephens Green

Rate this topic

Thanks to all for their comments,, and Kieran, your right about the major work part, very time consuming, but the bull dozers and earth movers are gone, after this weekend (the Bangor show) the landscape gardeners and painters will be down on the layout, the sparks are still connecting up point motors and running tests along with laying cables for signals , steel erecters are also erecting off site a mollasses storage depot, and various other trades are getting their heads around the cement plant and oil storage depot positions. TDR

Edited by The Derry Road
spellimg mistake

BTB the landscape was formed using polystyrene pieces cut to shape, I got this from a local furniture shop which was packaging they were discarding. Covered by bonding plaster adding PVA in the water prior to mixing. I used artist palette knives to smooth as it started to harden the knives are the cheap ones from The Works shop. I've tried many methods over the years and this to me is the best way as you can do it a small area at a time. TDR

This is the reply from the previous page Noel

Current update with the plastering, “all complete”. I placed a few trees on location to see how they looked, after a bit of juggling they were finally placed and each tree placed in location by tree, location number and photographed, just in case removal were to become necessary down the line, no pun intended. Here is a few pictures.TDR

244yudl.jpg2eg8fo2.jpgk3rui9.jpg20mgz6.jpgdh3jb.jpgp3hia.jpg

Thanks Kieran, Yes a bit of green and it starts to come alive and together as a model, I think over the next month the layout will totally transform when paint, grass, hedge and undergrowth have been added/applied. Enjoyed talking to you at bangor Show. Your welcome to visit, Will email your later tonight, TDR

• 3 weeks later...

All that heavy rain in the North West has brought on some lush growth Raymond. Looks fantastic. I was luck enough to see this layout in person a few weeks ago and the pictures do not do it justice. Going on today's pictures it will only get better and better!

All that heavy rain in the North West has brought on some lush growth Raymond. Looks fantastic. I was luck enough to see this layout in person a few weeks ago and the pictures do not do it justice. Going on today's pictures it will only get better and better!
Yes kieran we've had more than our fair share of rain this last few days, I took your advise you gave me on the seafoam for extra trees and foilage etc during your visit. I think I've made up about 80 extra trees/bushes etc, so I'll see how far that goes, maybe do about half of the layout. TDR