Rapido Trains announce APT-E

Rate this topic

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked here - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stafford&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stafford,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=52.795733,-2.107074&spn=0.002851,0.004823&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6 - from '74 to '93, and it spent a good bit of time stuck on the bend with the tilting mechanism jammed....

There's some bits of it in Crewe, with a small layout in one of the carriages. The driver's compartment was a bit like a cave - not much visibility.

Interesting choice and with their track record in producing models it will be quality. Prices are extremely favorable. I would have loved to have seen a prototype HST with some top class MK111's. The Hornby versions are showing their age now when compared to the Class 43's. I think that the mix of Lima and Hornby MK111's in the range don't go well together, the roof's and ends are a dead giveaway when they are in the same rake.

Rich,

Interesting choice and with their track record in producing models it will be quality. Prices are extremely favorable. I would have loved to have seen a prototype HST with some top class MK111's. The Hornby versions are showing their age now when compared to the Class 43's. I think that the mix of Lima and Hornby MK111's in the range don't go well together, the roof's and ends are a dead giveaway when they are in the same rake.

Rich,

I wouldnt be surprised if the prototype HST would be the next model Rapido do with Locomotion considering that the surviving power car has recently been re-engined. Knowing Rapido they would want to do the full prototype train with correct Mark IIIs. I might be wrong but I believe the prototype Mark III rake had a slightly different profile to production Mark IIIs.

I wouldnt be surprised if the prototype HST would be the next model Rapido do with Locomotion considering that the surviving power car has recently been re-engined. Knowing Rapido they would want to do the full prototype train with correct Mark IIIs. I might be wrong but I believe the prototype Mark III rake had a slightly different profile to production Mark IIIs.

With your knowledge of all things BR Fran I'll take that. It sure will be a master piece of a model.

Rich,

Looks like that's my Christmas present to "me" sorted out. It really is a very acceptable price and sounds like pure quality.

I just wonder how mad it will look going around my proposed (hah!) Mallow layout.

Spoil yourself Des, you have been spoiling us for ages.

Rich,

• 4 months later...

These guys go all the way when it comes to the detail being spot on. There is detail beneath the model you will never see when it is on the tracks, and some interior detail that will be out of sight unless you remove the body. Any modeler that expects that level of detail gets labelled with the old rivet counter bull, and yet here is a manufacturer that demands that level of themselves.

Those that have pre ordered their's will not be let down.

Rich,

That pic sums up Rapido Trains. Imagine a 22000 three car set to that standard. The prototype isn't my cup of tea, but if one was produced to that standard I'd cave in and buy one. As I and others have said before, what is wrong with wanting models to that standard. Compare that model to a Silver Fox MK111 push pull set and visualize what these guys could produce if they were to produce a five car set.

Rich,

Edited by RedRich

That pic sums up Rapido Trains. Imagine a 22000 three car set to that standard. The prototype isn't my cup of tea, but if one was produced to that standard I'd cave in and buy one. As I and others have said before, what is wrong with wanting models to that standard. Compare that model to a Silver Fox MK111 push pull set and visualize what these guys could produce if they were to produce a five car set.

Rich,

There is no comparison...... The fact that people are paying €195 for a Silver Fox Sulzer B101, which is €20 dearer than a Murphys 201 says it all......

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like delivery has been pushed back a couple of months.This is from the latest newsletter:

Ok, so this is the bit you are most interested in.

The APT-E Sound version will be delivered here first. It is anticipated that the first 600 packs will be airfreighted to us with an expected delivery date during the first week of March and these will be shipped in order and providing that the model has been paid for in full.

The Trailing cars along with a further 500 APT-E packs will follow approximately a week later with the balance arriving in the second week of April.

We will be sending out regular Newsletters informing you all of the precise delivery dates once we know the models are on their way.

When you receive the models there will be a set of instructions advising you how to remove the model from the packaging so as to avoid any damage and how to assemble and disassemble the couplings and the parts that join it all together.

There will also be a leaflet explaining what to do if you have a problem. We have a robust service and repair system in place and further details will follow.

Keep watch for our weekly APT-E Update Newsletter

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting. The interior detailing looks impressive. Pity the video was done on a set track layout with such tight radius curves making the APT look a little out of place with such severe body over hangs on the curves. Back in the 70s the APT was ahead of its time in some ways, but an engineering failure in the end not to mention the passenger 'nausea' effect caused by the software controlling the tilting.