Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops. I just realised I made a livery error. I also have the generator van sides which I know only came into use in the 70s so if I keep this one green then I can't run them together. .. what gen van was used with the early livery Bredin?

Oops. I just realised I made a livery error. I also have the generator van sides which I know only came into use in the 70s so if I keep this one green then I can't run them together. .. what gen van was used with the early livery Bredin?

Rich, early livery Bredins (green) did not operate with gen vans. To supply electricity for lighting each coach was equipped with batteries charged by a dynamo driven by a belt off one of the axles. The coaches were electrically independent from each other. Heating was supplied either from the locomotive (steam and diesels 1100/B113 and 1101/B114) or from a steam heating van (diesel era). Gen vans were not introduced until the early 1970s - well into the Black & Tan era.

Re-reading my post above it suggests that that tin vans were a variety of genny vans, which they obviously weren't. I should have added the difference between a steam van, a luggage van and a genny! I was merely trying to suggest what was at the back of the train in the "green silver grey" era and the 60s!

Re-reading my post above it suggests that that tin vans were a variety of genny vans, which they obviously weren't. I should have added the difference between a steam van, a luggage van and a genny! I was merely trying to suggest what was at the back of the train in the "green silver grey" era and the 60s!

I remember travelling behind all three versions , but wasn't the 6 wheel version the only van of that " general type" that had both the spanner boiler and generator , due to the combined weight

So my Bredin bgsv needs to be black and tan era. The other bredins can be green but with a little tin

Van added. I was going to pull them with my wooly. Suitable ? (Not the bgsv of course - I can use that in a cravens train )

You won't need a tin (steam heating) van if you used the Sheepy Steam Power but one of these 3101 series babies wold be required if you use an early diesel

DSCF6726.jpg

IMG_0178 (2).jpg

I remember travelling behind all three versions , but wasn't the 6 wheel version the only van of that " general type" that had both the spanner boiler and generator , due to the combined weight

The four 3153- series had both and weighed in a a hefty 30T even though only 30' long, hence needed a third axle. Didn't all gen vans have double generators for redundancy?

Edited by DiveController

No, the 1356 series coaches were built about 1953-55 and I'm sure JHB is correct about the final withdrawal dates of the Woolwich locos about 1960. A hooded van would be a nice addition for luggage or a full parcel/brake

2700-2765 Series Hooded Van Luggage Van Mayner Brass Kit Model

IMG_1205.jpg

All these are Mayner built

Working on the Bredin Brake.

Body looks really fine. Is she going to be B&T or Olive green flying snail livery?

PS: Does anybody know the RAL number for flying snail green livery coaches and the RAL number for the light green lining?

EDIT - Re-read thread :)

Edited by Noel

Hi Noel . It's an overlay from Mayner that fits the really cheap (but good too for the money ) dapol stanier 60ft kits. I really like the overlay. Very fine . Makes up easily enough. Always Enjoyable making up an Irish object through semi-scratchbuilding. They are a nice looking carriage too.

Hi Noel . It's an overlay from Mayner that fits the really cheap (but good too for the money ) dapol stanier 60ft kits. I really like the overlay. Very fine . Makes up easily enough. Always Enjoyable making up an Irish object through semi-scratchbuilding. They are a nice looking carriage too.

Sounds great. I had a look back at #353, what glue did you use to fix the brass sides to the lower plastic body sides and the coach ends? Do you add a sort of 'spar' along the top of the body sides to replace the strength of the cut away body sides, and help fix to roof, or is the brass strong enough to hold shape and bond directly with plastic roof?

Edited by Noel

I am experimenting with a simple plastic strip added. I need to complete the interior first though before finalising the roof, as it will need to be glued on more or less permanently.

Thanks, that makes sense. Looking forward to seeing the end result. What are you planning to use for window glazing?

Sounds great. I had a look back at #353, what glue did you use to fix the brass sides to the lower plastic body sides and the coach ends? Do you add a sort of 'spar' along the top of the body sides to replace the strength of the cut away body sides, and help fix to roof, or is the brass strong enough to hold shape and bond directly with plastic roof?

Sorry for hi-jacking the tread Rich,

I tried building the coaches with a removable roof and with a removable floor and found it easier in the end to build the coaches with a removable underframe and floor.

I 1st glue the roof to the sides before cutting out the slots in the sides and floor and fit the interior from below, I leave a ledge of plastic at each end so that I can screw the body to the underframe.

I glaze the windows with clear styrene fixed in place with double sided tape

• 3 weeks later...

In anticipation of the ballasts I started putting together this ssm ploughvan. Quick question folks regarding the side lamps. The instructions say later versions of this van did not have the side lamps. What date ish would these later vans be ?

20170414_004848.jpg

20170414_004859.jpg

20170414_010252.jpg

20170414_011143.jpg

20170414_114835.jpg

In anticipation of the ballasts I started putting together this ssm ploughvan. Quick question folks regarding the side lamps. The instructions say later versions of this van did not have the side lamps. What date ish would these later vans be ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27538[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27539[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27540[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27541[/ATTACH]

Looking good so far

Nice job so far. Are you using solder or superglue? Is the Dapol chassis 9ft, 10ft or 11ft?

I will probably run the imminent delivery of IRMs as 'dolomite' wagons instead of ballasts, so won't need plough vans. Yellow didn't seem to be around in the B&T 60s and early 70s era.

Nice job so far. Are you using solder or superglue? Is the Dapol chassis 9ft, 10ft or 11ft?

I will probably run the imminent delivery of IRMs as 'dolomite' wagons instead of ballasts, so won't need plough vans. Yellow didn't seem to be around in the B&T 60s and early 70s era.

Correct! Yellow only appeared in comparatively recent times. Grey was the rule without exception* in the 50s and 60s and early 70s, when (on CIE) brown (but NOT the current reddish-brown) began to appear. Latterly, yellow.

(* This applied equally to GNR, NCC, UTA & CIE).

Plough vans were the same colour as ballast wagons, goods brake vans and other general four wheeled bits'n'pieces. And not a black bit of metal strapping or black chassis in sight! :-)

20170421_005546.jpg

All in grey. Looks nice mind you. Really enjoyed building this kit. I might do another in grey but this is just an undercoat. As you can see its not perfect (due to my modelling skills) but I am pleased nonetheless. Luckily any I've seen of these in yellow are both well looked after but also a bit beat up too. I am going to give it the good weathering . Try out the humbrol rust powder.

Edited by richrua

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27613[/ATTACH]

All in grey. Looks nice mind you. Really enjoyed building this kit. I might do another in grey but this is just an undercoat. As you can see its not perfect (due to my modelling skills) but I am pleased nonetheless. Luckily any I've seen of these in yellow are both well looked after but also a bit beat up too. I am going to give it the good weathering . Try out the humbrol rust powder.

Nice one Richrua. Looking good. I have never used brass before, but I am due to attempt one of Des's brake vans, so do you mind me asking a few questions? :)

1. What primer did you use and did you have to prepare the brass to receive it (i.e. sand, etc)?
  2. Did you use solder or super glue to build it, and if solder which kind?
  3. Is the Dapol chassis a 10, 11 or 12ft?