CIE Dmu's ?

Rate this topic

amdaley

Hi Jonathan, does that mean Cravens never ran when the AECs were powered rail car sets, but may have run with converted AEC push-pull stock hauled/pushed by C class or the odd 121 on Dublin suburban pre-dart? Noel

Apologies, Noel, I didn't make that very clear....

They only ever ran with loco-hauled suburban trains - as well as main line - and usually mixed with other stock. The RPSI info is certainly incorrect: they never ran with anything AEC at all, whether with or without engines, and never with anything which was push-pull.

Irish Railfans' News, October 1965.

"Goolds Cross Crash.....At times of heavy traffic, especially during Horse Show week, the evening mainline departure for Kerry at 18:45 is divided into two portions, one for Limerick only at 18:45 and the second for Tralee at 19:00. On August 5 the latter, an eight coach railcar set comprising railcar 2634, second 1361, Diner 268N, Seconds 1515, 1514, P.Is 2661, 2660 & railcar 2637 struck a herd of cattle being driven across the line...".

A few Cravens were wired as AEC railcar intermediates and do seem to have worked as such.

Sorry JHB!

Edited by BSGSV
Correction - should be Railfans' not Railway!

Interesting, BSGSV! Goes to show what exceptions occur.

I will now inform two different very learned sources of mine, who also took the view I did - and in even more definite terms!

Such a thing, however, must have been very short lived, hence lack of knowledge of it.

Glad I initially answered "as far as I know"!

:-)

Edited by jhb171achill

The Cravens wired for AEC railcars were 1514, 1515, 1517, 1519, 1520, 1522.

Interesting..... I note also the ex-GNR coach in that formation you mentioned from the IRN.

AEC sets could turn up many variations as already seen, although the GNR generally kept them quite uniform.

As on CIE, the UTA could manage some fascinating combinations of ex-loco-hauled stock along with their inherited AEC sets - also, of course, MPD and MED sets had old carriages converted to run in them too.

All in all, a fascinating period in Irish railway history.

AEC sets certainly did feature interesting compositions as you say JHB. Railcar sets could even turn up as part of loco-hauled trains as the following shows:

Irish Railfan's News, August 1970:

"With the advent of the summer timetable the last railcar working outside Dublin finished. This was the set which worked the Wexford/Rosslare locals. When it was necessary to change the set on these workings the replacement used to be hauled down attached to the 09:00 Pearse Station to Rosslare, the “old” set coming back on the return 15:10".

The last day of the Thurles-Clonmel line also had an "A" hauling a two-piece railcar set, that acquired an additional ordinary passenger coach during the day - presumably to cope with the crowds.

In the 1950's, before CIE had built the 24xx series buffets, an interesting selection of older catering vehicles was wired for railcar use, including a clerestory one.

Edited by BSGSV