Marklin Collection.

Rate this topic

It is a nice set, The 3300 was production in 1985 only (The top right of lid show '125 Years of Marklin' in 1984).

I can't see the locos have three rails, I think ex-onwer change it to 2-rails.

Hello Steven, any chance you'd want a Jouef Sybic to add to your Marklin collection?

Have to agree Fran, after the Irish ones the Crocs would be my favourite

This one that Steve has picked up comes with a MFX chip

You get an image of the inside of the cab, fuel oil & sand levels

As you drive the loco around the track the fuel level decreases and if you dont ad fuel she stops. How cool is that!

Not for the faint hearted though, one of these could pay next years household tax :(

Have to agree Fran, after the Irish ones the Crocs would be my favourite

This one that Steve has picked up comes with a MFX chip

You get an image of the inside of the cab, fuel oil & sand levels

As you drive the loco around the track the fuel level decreases and if you dont ad fuel she stops. How cool is that!

Not for the faint hearted though, one of these could pay next years household tax :(

That sounds cool Dave. I picked up some Marklin track and stock a while ago with the intention of collecting a piece or two a year. I blame Steven for that! As you said they're pricey, but are impressive and Marklin has a certain charm.

• 3 weeks later...
It is MFX chip for 3-rails operating.

Trix version catalogue number 22957 DCC sound 2-rail, Due Q3/2013. RRP 549.99.

Thanks. Recently aquired some Marklin sets. One for the very occasional collecting I think of favourite European locos. I blame you and this thread!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The first model railway layout I ever saw was a Marklin, lights on locomotives, platforms, buildings, etc. what a layout, spread out over two rooms in a house, an actual hole in one wall for the tunnel, never will forget it, owner sold it later and bought a full size snooker table instead !! that was not yesterday, and I'll never forget it, awesome,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Märklin have always been quite idiosyncratic - still sticking to the 3-rail/stud-contact 16vAC system long after almost everyone else had abandoned it for 12vDC 2-rail. If you've ever been lucky enough to visit Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, almost all of the lengthy railway systems there are Märklin-based, so they must be doing something right.

Very robust engines - think equivalent of HD/Wrenn, but to somewhat finer, more-detailed standards. They still insist on using quite coarse flanges on their wheels, though - possibly the only thing that detracts from the models produced today (mind you, Roco and Fleischmann aren't necessarily better in this department either).

The commemorative edition of "01" pacific 01 150 is interesting. This was one of the engines severely damaged in the 2005 Nuremburg Museum fire, and was extensively repaired in Meiningen before being put back into service a couple of years back. 23 105 has also been cosmetically restored. I'm not sure how far advanced work on the other engines is, e.g. 45 010