Modular OO Layouts

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi All

Here is the previous drawing revised with the wiring layout and colours from the NMRA specification. The Clinch connectors are not available here so I have changed them to banana plugs & sockets.

The skyboard has also been added

Modular OO Revised Layout-00 Sep 21 2013-A4 Sheet 5.jpg

and here is the drawing in pdf format

Modular OO Revised Taple Layout - Sep 21 2013.pdf

murrayec

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Here is the previous drawing revised with the wiring layout and colours from the NMRA specification. The Clinch connectors are not available here so I have changed them to banana plugs & sockets.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9753[/ATTACH]

and here is the drawing in pdf format

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9755[/ATTACH]

murrayec

Hi Eoin

if you do it right you don't need connecting insulated fishplates

Best Regards

Walter

Hi All

Might be worth showing the skyboard on the plan view, just to remove any ambiguity, even though it's fairly obvious and everybody thinks in third-angle these days.

Hi All

Here is a revised drawing showing the skyboard on the table plan;-

Modular OO Revised Table Layout - Sep 22 2013.jpg

And a PDF format drawing;-

Modular OO Revised Table Layout - Sep 22 2013.pdf

Walter

The idea of the insulated fishplates is to allow individual layouts to run separately if required- we could have all layouts connected as one or a number of layouts running. This is done by just disconnecting the mainline leads and isolating the layouts.

murrayec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A couple of things came up in discussing the Modular Layout Drawings at the BR show last week and I thought of posting them up for all to see;

Board Size.

The drawings indicate a standard size of 1200x610mm- but the board can be any length the modeller desires as long as its connection plates conform to the standard. Though 1200x6100mm boards are easy to transport!

610mm width is the standard, but some modellers may require wider boards to complete a layout with side tracks. This can be done as one board to whatever size is required or by adding 610mm width boards on the sides- as drawn and indicated in a previous post above.

The modellers should stay within 600mm or 1200mm lengths when calculating out their board length. I reckon sizes outside these lengths will cause problems when setting up a loop layout! Though if someone insists on another size outside of the module standard, the can make a insert board to make up the difference elsewhere in the loop.

Note; In a loop layout an equivalent length of track is required as per the modellers layout- this can be achieved with other modellers creations or community track. If there is not enough boards to create a loop the layout can be run end to end.

Track Curve & Corner Boards.

On the above drawings I have indicated the minimum size corner board using standard curves- radius 2 & 3. If a modeller decides to build a corner layout the board and track curve can be any size they desire, with the provision of connecting plates conforming to the standard.

The same note as above applies regarding equivalent track.

Transition Boards.

The transition board I have indicated on the above drawings is 1200mm long- a transition board can be smaller if the modeller wants as long as the track curves work and does not cause problems with the running of trains through these curves and again the board conforms to the standard- as in connecting plate and track location.

Also

As discussed with Jack last week, we should set a standard for the track scenery;- width and type of track ballast, a standard colour or type of grass finish adjacent the track and the season the overall layout is in. I suggest summer, when the trees are green!

Scenery away from the track is up to the modeller's desires.

murrayec

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Myself and Baseboard Dave were discussing the drawings over the last few days-

We have decided to revert back to 600mm for the depth of the boards in the drawing, this is because not all raw material boards are supplied with clean-n-straight edges so to allow for economics in getting 4 tops from the one sheet- its best to allow for a bit of trimming.

I will update the drawing over the next few days

Any comments

murrayec

Hi

Myself and Baseboard Dave were discussing the drawings over the last few days-

We have decided to revert back to 600mm for the depth of the boards in the drawing, this is because not all raw material boards are supplied with clean-n-straight edges so to allow for economics in getting 4 tops from the one sheet- its best to allow for a bit of trimming.

I will update the drawing over the next few days

Any comments

murrayec

We are also going to produce at least 4 boards for next year, modelling Dun Laoghaire fully completed. That's the plan at least.

Hi all, sorry for coming in late. Just haven't got started on this forum until now.

I am one of the guys at the T-Trak exhibit at Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire shows. Although I am mainly an N-scale guy, I would like to participate in a large scale modular community, and if it has to be OO, then I'll work with that too.

Having read through the thread now and the various proposals, I am a bit surprised that new modular standards are discussed instead of picking existing ones like Fremo or the N-Trak. Although it sounds like what is labelled as "Free-mo" sounds like N-Trak but I read much about either. Please don't invent something new. Use the experience that is built into the existing standards. Using existing standard allows us to meet up at international modular meets.

I would like to see more thinking of what we want to do with these modules. It sounds like most people want to do diaramas and the DART line is one suggested theme. The rectangular shape of the modules is good for making sure that the back side lines up to allow for continuous running of the trains. This setup would be perfect for showing at exhibitions with minimal operational labour requirements.

On the other hand, Fremo modules are not designed for continuous running. These layouts are all end-to-end with a few or many sidings. Focus is on the operational side with complex stations, time tables and shunting. I attended a Fremo meet in Sweden that ran over 4 days and the public was only invited in for a few hours on Saturday morning. This is very different to the Irish and British shows where the focus is on displaying beautiful layouts with minimal operation.

I visited a Fremo-N-scale meet in Stuttgart a while back. The participants were separated in a DCC setup and an analogue one. The DCC people operated the trains and followed them around the layout. The DC people operated the layout through the stations and sent off the trains to the next station on the line. The operation modes were very different.

Once we agree on what we want to do with a big modular layout, it will be easier to decide on a standard.

And while I am at it, I have to declare that my main interest is in operation of trains more than landscaping. DCC comes with this wish of course.

The T-Trak group of the SDMRC was set up to allow members practice landscaping in a manageable size. We did discuss scale but agreed on N scale only because of the size and portability.

I hope this helps to get focus in the discussion.

/ Sven

Hi Sven,

Welcome to the forum. We are still at the planning stage and welcome your experienced opinion. At this stage we need to meet with everyone interested progressing this further to put a plan in place and move this forward.

Can everyone interested in this and that wants to contribute let me know so we can arrange a meeting.

Hi Sven

Great to hear from you

We have based the drawings for the boards off the NMRA standard (as far as I know Fremo boards are based on this). There has been some mods due to availability of items here- mainly the connectors. Otherwise the boards should connect with international standards!

Please PM me if we have made major blunders and this can be corrected.

As you say Fremo was set up for running trains and I posted a pdf above for all to view and discuss. Our design idea was concentrated on having a modular two line main track that runs throughout the system and side tracks which would be controlled by owners of individual modules.

The drawings indicate that the system can be run as a loop, or divided up into separate end to end layouts, or as one large end to end layout.

As Dave suggests we should meet with interested modellers to discuss, hatch plans and solidify- In the new year we will have a 4 to 6 board sample layout to show all and this is will be the time to do this.

murrayec

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

We have been very busy over the last few months and not had a chance to progress things, so here is one....

David Holman, in his blog today was discussing layout display lighting, its something I was thinking about on the Modular System and he prompted me to do this.

Here is a sketch of a lighting standard system that could be used. I do not think it should be mandatory, up to the modeller to decide. The idea is a post up from the back of the layout and out over the layout with a bracket fixed to take clip on lighting. I reckon only one is needed per board, as two lamps can be fixed to it. I did a quick search and found Ikea have a clip spot lamp 'Lagra' (no bulb) for €3.50, the lead is 2m long and it can take an LED bulb.

The standard is fairly simple construction with off the shelf parts- MDF, 22mm metal electrical conduit with fittings to suit, and screws n bolts.

Modular OO Layout-00 Sep 8 2013-A4 Sheet 5.jpg

Fire back comments if anyone has ideas..

I am just completing a drawing for my Seapoint Martello Tower layout, which is based on three boards- two transition boards and the feature board. The transition boards throw the track to the back of the feature board so that the Tower and a bit of water can fit to the front.

I will post up a drawing when complete

murrayec

Edited by murrayec
Attach broken!

Eoin, i bought a heap of those ikea lights for task lighting. They're not led, and pretty crap for doing work, but i reckon they'd be spot on for a layout. Whats the dim from mounting point to finished layout level, and i'll do a mock up with them? Richie

Hi Richie

Great, the dim is approx 900mm from the baseboard top to the MDF light mounting bracket.

murrayec

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eoin, the correct dimensions for the electrical conduit is 20mm and is readily available. The smaller size conduit, 10mm and 15mm, is not readily available and maybe more expensive. Here's a link to conduit sizes http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bline/Resources/Library/catalogs/bolted_framing/strut_systems/rd-rigidsteelconduitimc.pdf

Walter.