Modular OO Layouts

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi Dave

Looking again through the NMRA spec, they set the size of the boards at 610mm wide and 1220mm long which fits the supplied sheets exactly! Is that correct? and we stay within the standard adopting their size!

A sky-board or back scene board has not been shown on the drawings above- minimum = 200mm, nominal = 382mm as per NMRA. Though I reckon we should have a minimum, but some layouts may need a board higher than 382mm to compliment the scene?

murrayec

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I watched a couple of vids last night and came across one of a guy building modules and he had a good point to say about alignment dowels;- 'using the C-Clamps eliminates the need for dowels, which can cause trouble if a builder gets them slightly off line. The forces in the clamp hold the boards rigid with no movement, thus eliminating the dowels and makes life easier'

murrayec

The only problem wth that way Eoin its much more difficult to align the modules before clamping. I use a boring machine for drilling out the holes for alignment dowels which gives perfect alignment. If someone wants to use their own baseboard I could supply a plate to go on the end of their baseboard with pre fitted alignment dowels.

Hi Dave

Yes, that's an idea to supply the plate, but its still up to the modeller to get that aligned with his track- could still lead to problems. Just thinking- if there is problems, we remove the dowels on that board?

Here is an interesting diagram for DCC from the Fremo site;- http://fremodcc.sourceforge.net/dcc_e.html and in this area a wealth of electrical stuff for modular building.

murrayec

Hi Dave

Yes, that's an idea to supply the plate, but its still up to the modeller to get that aligned with his track- could still lead to problems. Just thinking- if there is problems, we remove the dowels on that board?

Or supply end-plates, with an alignment jig for the track position..?

Of course, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing - some people might want to purchase full baseboards, but some might just want the end-plates to fit to their own boards, etc...

All that really matters is that the inter-board connections are reliably compatible.

If people are going to produce their own boards, then the height off the floor needs to be clearly specified and adhered to.

I just did a calculation on an 8 coach DART;- it is 2157mm long so going on this a station platform would be over 3 boards to allow for trains of 8 coach and the engine.

You would get away with a two-coach today -

Irish Rail on Twitter - "DART capacity reduced due to driver issue this morning peak: mostly 4-carriage DARTs, with some 2-cars, apologies: "

Yes Broithe

I saw that a couple of weeks back they announced 2 car units.

Can you imagine the modular system with a fleet of 20 two coach DARTs running!

That will be the number of units built by the end of the year if all preliminary orders go through!! Though some have gone to foreign homes, maybe in the future they'll bring them home for a reunion if the modular track is built.

murrayec

Hi all

Some more ideas

Electrics Proposal;-

The main line 2 track system is connected throughout the modules, the side tracks are controlled separately at each layout. The main line points are controlled separately at each layout also- this can be motorised or manual rod control from under the board through the rear down-stand of the boards.

Side tracks and accessories may be controlled by whatever means the modeller of that layout decides, but there can be no wired connection to the main lines- side tracks have to be insulated from the main. (except where DCC cab control is connected for hand-off)

220v power connectors and extension leads are to be at floor level and only the low voltage leads can rise to the board to run side tracks and accessories. Power leads are to be earthed and have a safety circuit breaker installed.

Track boosters again will be on the floor and the low voltage leads rise to the board.

Main line module leads are to be 300mm long max, so that these leads do not extend to the floor area where the 220v is. Parental Control plug blanks are to be used to close un-used sockets on all 220v plug boards

Cinch 320 connectors as per the NMRA specification seem to be hard to source, so we may need to go with another type! two pin speaker connectors- the type with a flat pin and a round pin could be an idea?

One main line track or possibly both should be wired so that the can run DCC or Analogue- but not at the same time.

Main Line wire colours;-

Inside line = Black & Red

Outside line = Blue & Yellow

These colours are exclusively for main line wiring, these colours are not to be used elsewhere on a layout.

What do you think?

murrayec

Main Line wire colours;-

Inside line = Black & Red

Outside line = Blue & Yellow

These colours are exclusively for main line wiring, these colours are not to be used elsewhere on a layout.

Do you need to specify which rail is which colour?

I would assume that 'outside' means 'nearest the sea'..?

Hi Broithe

Yes the outside track is nearest the sea- the viewing side of the layout.

I reckon specifying the wire colour will aid the modeller getting the connections right so that their layout integrates with no fuss. uniform colours will aid problem solving if a problem arises.

murrayec

Ah, what I meant was - shouldn't you specify the colour for each rail, rather than just the pair of colours for each track?

You could end up with one of the inside track's rails being black on one layout and red on the next... etc.

As this ..?

red

black

---------

blue

yellow

---------

The Sea.

Or some such arrangement....

Hi Broithe

Yes, sorry I miss read that, I will do that on the next issue of the drawings. We need to settle the direction the main track runs in- and have the polarity right for Analogue running;-

I'll suggest that the track runs say - Dun Laoghaire to Dublin direction!

murrayec

Sounds promising so far guys...

I'd be willing to put up 'sponsorship' on behalf of the Forum / Site for Dave to produce the base boards for those willing to engage, commit to posting their progress and who knows, perhaps some day in the future (soon) exhibiting the group effort as an IRM community layout?

I'd be willing to put up 'sponsorship' on behalf of the Forum / Site for Dave to produce the base boards for those willing to engage, commit to posting their progress and who knows, perhaps some day in the future (soon) exhibiting the group effort as an IRM community layout?

Hi BosKonay

Brilliant idea

Myself and Dave were discussing last week on pulling together a sample modular board to bring to the shows we exhibit in, so that people can see an actual module and how its done in the flesh. Anything you can do to assist on this would be appreciated and of course we would document it on the forum- that was the plan anyway.

We need to finish the specification first and then we will make it, possibly with the Martellow Tower diorama on it. We are looking at having it prepared for the Blackrock Show if we can- it wont be complete but it will help to promote the idea.

murrayec

Mighty generous Bosko! I will build a sample as Eoin said, I will have track on it and some scenery on it for Blackrock