New rtr De Dietrich coaches

Rate this topic

Killucan2

Lads,

Just to clarify. The models will not feature opening doors. Certainly not as standard. I have just glued that door open for effect and to show that they are separate from the point of view of kit builders.

The doors are separate to make it easier and quicker to paint the livery, particularly the new livery. Also it will make it much easier to paint the rubber seals around the doors.

If there is some DCC door opening actuators available on the market then I'm sure they would be handy enough to fit but it would cost extra obviously. I'd imagine every coach would need to be chipped.

Yes, indeed, sorry for the de-rail, but those Roco doors are just mental.

I doubt that their 'hinged-door' actuators would be directly suitable for plug-doors, though - but you never know...

Separate doors is a great idea, though - especially for modern coaches where the doors are of contrasting colours.

Edited by Broithe

The coaches will be coupled by a draw bar concealed within the lower gangway. There would also be space there to run wires through. One option being seriously considered is always-on coach lighting. This would only work with DCC and there would be pick ups on all wheels of each coach separately so no need for intercoach wiring or decoders. The only con would be that you can't switch it off but it would be designed to be fairly unnoticeable by day and very apparent by night. Bear in mind that the real interior lighting is always on.

Needless to say, this would come under the heading of an optional extra and would cost more.

Remember guys, I can put passengers waving at you through the windows but it all comes down to how much it costs.

The coaches will be coupled by a draw bar concealed within the lower gangway. There would also be space there to run wires through. One option being seriously considered is always-on coach lighting. This would only work with DCC and there would be pick ups on all wheels of each coach separately so no need for intercoach wiring or decoders. The only con would be that you can't switch it off but it would be designed to be fairly unnoticeable by day and very apparent by night. Bear in mind that the real interior lighting is always on.

Needless to say, this would come under the heading of an optional extra and would cost more.

Remember guys, I can put passengers waving at you through the windows but it all comes down to how much it costs.

Why not a model of yourself David so that we can wave to you through the window?

I'm still alive!

Just getting to the CAD rework now so about another 2 weeks and you'll have a DVT in livery to check out.

@waffles,

There'll be an option to have a mk3 egv included in the rake. It'll cost the same as a standard coach and will be fitted with the same draw bar coupling as the DDs at one end and a kadee for the 201 at the other.

• 3 months later...
Nice work buddy!

I would love to order a set of these carriages to go with my 8208 River Lagen. Where can I order these carriages from? Sorry if I am jumping in with a big splash here but I am new to this forum, although I am into modelling Irish Railways :).

Sent you a PM!

• 3 weeks later...
Opening doors? Really? DCC controlled?...

.....t those Roco doors are just mental.

I doubt that their 'hinged-door' actuators would be directly suitable for plug-doors, though - but you never know...

Separate doors is a great idea, though - especially for modern coaches where the doors are of contrasting colours.

Not sure how many sets Roco managed to shift (at about 700 quid-plus each), but it doesn't appear in their catalogue for this year, and the coaches don't seem to be available separately (which is a real shame). The video suggests the opening mechanisms appear to be linked to the tops of the doors rather than the bottoms. Proves it can be done, though.

• 3 years later...
Opening doors? Really? DCC controlled?

[video=youtube;-Qm2NTuQimI]

1:30 on...

This forum has some wonderful nuggets. Only found this post. This Roco train set is spectacular. When it comes to model engineering there is little doubt German companies have always been the worlds leaders by a long margin.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's quite an old video now Noel - time flies! The poor Murphy 201 really struggled to get that rake moving I have to tell you :)

The layout now is also no more, in the advanced stages of demolition at the moment for an all new, all singing all dancing version... hopefully I'll be resurrecting the layout thread in due course!

42 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

9001+8208 on Tara junction.

Na - train too short!  That doesn't blow my skirt up. parapet.gif (opps did I say that out loud - just kidding) :) 

Just kidding, looks fab. :) Love the busy station platform scenes - a hive of activity.  So that's two proper enterprise trains on the forum.  Did Dave and Mark produce many of these sets?

• Like 1