4 Wheel Ballast Wagon

Rate this topic

Guest hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

I will put up a list of required tools and materials and chassis options later to night as i have to build one first to check exactly what i use as i have a lot of stuff for different projects and builds.

Wet your appetites with these pics as they are required for reference.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5152/6941963708_eab7ca15e7_z.jpg

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/slides/NorthWall_20030210_004_CC_JA.jpg

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2120&d=1344160350

Edited by hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

Basic tools required for scratch building the ballast wagon.

WP_000313.jpg

A scalpel ( preferably a pointed blade )

A chisel blade and Handel if possible. http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/expo-tools-blades-carded-73552-p-448.html. This is the most reasonably priced blade i have come across but make sure you get a proper handle unless of course you already have one.

12 inch aluminium Ruler. Tesco sell them

A small steel ruler if possible (ebay)

Mechanical pencil ( tesco sell a pack 3)

compass and pencil.

Dividers

Tweezers All of these tools could possibly be sourced in a model shop and supermarket and or E-bay.

some assorted files if possible.

Drill.

1mm drill bit and 2mm bit if fitting the metal buffers ( optional).

1000 or 1200 grade wet and dry sand paper.

600 grade wet and dry sand paper.

Revel contacta liquid.

Revel contacta professional.

A good brand super glue may be required.( better to be looking at it than looking for it.

A tube of filler Squadron white putty is my personal preference.

A small steel square would be an advantage and some may find it helpful.

Materials.

WP_000314.jpg

1mm ( 40 thou) plasticard .

Evergreen EG 211 1mm dia rod.

Evergreen EG 142 1mm x 1mm strip.

Evergreen EG 113 0.4 x 1.5 mm strip.

Plastruct L1 1.2mm x 1.2mm L shaped strip. code 90501 if buying from hattons. http://www.ehattons.com/45957/Plastruct_AFS_1_90501_Afs_1_Angles_Per_10/StockDetail.aspx

Kadee 2035 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XKadee+2035&_nkw=Kadee+2035&_sacat=0&_from=R40 .

Dapol w chass 11 if you dont want to build a chassis but please be aware this chassis is 3 mm TOO SHORT and cant be extended.

Dapol co43 twin silo cement wagon kit. This chassis is the closest to the wagon i am building and as its a kit it can be extended 3mm to the desired proper length.

The hornby couplings are an extra for any one using the co43 chassis if they want a cheap version to connect up to their locos as the dapol coupling supplied with the kit may not be to every ones liking.

I buy most building materials on ebay or at Hattons or gather them at exhibitions but please check your local model shop as they may have them or be able to get them for you . I hope i have remembered everything as i have a ton of different tools and materials so as far as i know the only thing i hav,nt sorted are vacuum pipes but i am looking at different types.

If any one fancy,s nice metal buffers you can get these http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2350.php they are cheap and will improve the CO 43 chassis no end but it is optional.

Vac pipes from above as well which again will improve the model http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2950.php

I am preparing two test builds of the body and some easy to read plans so once i am happy with them i can get the thread started.

Regards Gareth.

Edited by hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

A small update on my test build for the 4 wheel ballast wagon tuitorial thread

. I have all my measurements done and just sorting the detail and mounting to the chassis,s etc.

The evergreen EG 113 is fitted around the top of the body and once the angle is fitted on the sides it will start to resemble the real thing.

WP_000326.jpg

I have to find any potential problems before i start showing how i have built it so i hope to get started on the actual build from bare materials shortly.

Regards Gareth.

WP_000325.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hidden-agenda

As promised the how to build a 4 wheel ballast wagon.I hope to pass on a certain amount of knowledge but i am sure there are different or better ways of doing some aspects of any scratch build and i welcome any suggestions that may help me and any other modeller.

A small amount of history about the wagon as there are to the best of my knowledge a couple of slight differences between the wagons and i understand that two versions were built.

24113-24148 were built by Whessoe ltd in 1972 some wagons have T shaped angle and some have the L shaped angle used on the body and ends for support.

24250-24263 were built by Parsons of Howth in 1977 and have the L shaped angle used on the body and ends for support.

26612-26627 were built by CIE in 1970 and are to the same design as the ballast wagon with again a mixture of angle used.

Still in use at the present i believe (open to correction) the 4 wheel ballast wagon has stood the test of time and with a bit of thought a drawing and some materials a reasonable representation can be built and a rake can run with most if not all diesels.

The plan below shows all measurements in millimetres and i have made some subtle changes to make it a little easier as far as spacing the angle used on the side of the body.

scan0001.jpg

The choice of chassis is up to the builder as the Dapol wchass 11 can be used and just leaves the body to be built and placed upon a floor laid on the chassis.

WP_000416.jpg

I have extended the the co43 chassis with the evergreen eg142 gluing a piece in each corner and filling the gap with plasticard and filler.Its not obligatory its up to the builder.

The pics above show the difference between CO43 kit and RTR chassis.

WP_000411.jpg

The above pics show the various stages of measurements and cut out of panels to build the body. 1mm plasticard was used for all panels.

Please note when constructing the body the sides are glued outside of the ends to make the overall width of the body 32mm. Do not glue the centre divide in place till after the floor is glued in place. A tip for cutting the plastruct L shape angle hold it with a tweezers on a steel rule and you can measure and cut it with a chisel blade to the correct length or and angle.

WP_000366.jpg

WP_000412.jpg

Note the sides are glued OUTSIDE of the ends ( coloured red oxide ).

Once the body has been glued and fully dried you will notice an opening between the top panels and the sloping bottom panels,

this you will fill with filler and rub down with a 1000 grade wet and dry and plenty of water to get a nice finish.

There are two different types of centre divide as i have found both in a you tube video.

WP_000360.jpg

WP_000410.jpg

WP_000408.jpg

WP_000406.jpg

WP_000400.jpg

WP_000399.jpg

WP_000398.jpg

WP_000397.jpg

WP_000393.jpg

WP_000415.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

WP_000428.jpg

The end result is a reasonable representation of the ballast wagon.

WP_000426.jpg

WP_000425.jpg

WP_000424.jpg

WP_000423.jpg

WP_000422.jpg

WP_000421.jpg

WP_000370.jpg

WP_000370 (1).jpg

WP_000369.jpg

WP_000368.jpg

WP_000367.jpg

WP_000359.jpg

WP_000351.jpg

WP_000350.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

Guest hidden-agenda

Some pics i forgot to slot in.

WP_000420.jpg

If using the metal buffers remove the plastic faces on the co43 kit buffer beams and drill the hole in the beam with a 2mm dia bit.

I made some subtle changes to the chassis and all were made with the materials i suggested buying. Just waiting on decals and the vac pipes are in now added to the materials link.

Please let me know if i forgot any thing as i have put this up in a little bit of a hurry and most probably over-looked some thing.

Regards Gareth.

WP_000419.jpg

WP_000418.jpg

Edited by hidden-agenda

• 1 month later...

I must mention a big Thank You to Hidden Agenda for his Tutorial on this build. It took a lot of work on his part drawing, preparing and photographing this model and must be an inspiration for anyone new to starch building.

IMG_2717.jpg

This is my effort with help and advice from Gareth. I learned a lot from this project.