Some useful Tools

Rate this topic

BosKonay

I picked up the last one in my local Lidl a couple of days ago - civilised enough for light domestic use.

I might be tempted to make a flip cover for the spindle-lock button on the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21586[/ATTACH]

Finally proof that at least a physical workbench exists, and what looks like a high end bottle opener attached.

Perfect setup... :)

I picked up the last one in my local Lidl a couple of days ago - civilised enough for light domestic use.

I might be tempted to make a flip cover for the spindle-lock button on the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21586[/ATTACH]

looks like a ww3 " start " button cover to me, you could have it marked " self destruct" on a control panel!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Here are a few shots of a sanding jig for the belt sander, made from mdf with fence plate to slide n guide the work into the sanding belt. The plate is removable so different types can be installed.....

Lidl Tools-06 IMAG2037.jpg

Lidl Tools-07 IMAG2038.jpg

Lidl Tools-08 IMAG2039.jpg

....and in operation on a bit of DART stuff

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Get friendly with your dentist, those little burrs he attacks your teeth with are very useful. I like the serrated ball shaped ones and the ones that are like milling cutters. They should fit your Dremel and a hand full have lasted me for years.

Still on a dental theme, the vibratory toothbrushes can be quite handy for cleaning your intricate parts.

The handles that take AA cells are much better than the rechargeable handles, I find - and, of course, you can use rechargeable cells in them anyway.

$_32.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

For a good while, I've been meaning to get a small cutting mat for the travelling toolbox.

Today I saw this for £5 and decided to bite the bullet - the knife is actually surprisingly good, too, with ten spare resharpenable blades, also. The fitted blade is spring-retractable by means of a "squeeze-clip" and there's a guard to prevent accidental activation.

DAFAPenKnife&Mat-300x300.jpg

The cutting mat is a good bit thicker than the usual variety - 200 x 130 mm.

Useful, if you're on the move - or pushed for space.

Hey Broithe

Here is a simple mod for your small cutting mat;-

Mat-00 IMAG2045.jpg

The mat is mounted on a off-cut of MDF leaving an edge all round, a steel ruler is stuck down on the top edge of the mat, flush with the top edge of the mat to give a straight edge.

Mat-01 IMAG2046.jpg

Engineers square runs along the ruler straight edge to give a 90deg cut.

Mat-02 IMAG2049.jpg

This is a clamping arrangement for an end stop for cutting several items to the exact same length.

Mat-03 IMAG2047.jpg

End stop set-up for use in cutting steel bar to length.

Mat-04 IMAG2048.jpg

There is a grove cut in the mat to hold the bar in place while the end is filed square.

Mat-05 IMAG2050.jpg

Set-up for angle cutting, the protractor runs along the ruler straight edge.

I use this for cutting all materials- metal n plastic, and some times use it as a guide to set-up model parts to hold and glue- using the square and other bits of metal to hold.

One of the most used items in the workshop

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

• 2 weeks later...

Another useful tool I've been sticking together for a while and finally got to test it on a bit of 'Scot Stuff' see sample in my Workbench.

The airbrush blast gun is from Expo Tools, it works quite well but the grit reservoir needs to be twice the size. The cabinet is a medical display case from a friend and Woodies best chemical gloves from the gardening section.

SBC-01 IMAG2063.jpg

SBC-02 IMAG2064.jpg

SBC-03 IMAG2065.jpg

I gave my white metal 121 parts a blast and it worked an absolute treat, far easier than trying to do it in the full size blast cabinet with a nozzle for blasting an ocean liner! the little air brush still uses 60psi but the blast is tiny.

The lid of the cabinet still needs to be finished, it needs to be set at an angle as the glare from the workshop lights reflected off the lid make it hard to see in.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

The lid of the cabinet still needs to be finished, it needs to be set at an angle as the glare from the workshop lights reflected off the lid make it hard to see in.

Could you avoid that issue with LED strips around the lid, shining down into the cabinet?

• 2 weeks later...

A little project for Sunday afternoon, getting ready to grass the Greystones layout- Static Grass Applicator a la 'Boulder Creek' Youtube video. Cost about €40.00 in bits and some items I already had;-

ECMstatic-01 IMAG2081.jpg

ECMstatic-02 IMAG2082.jpg

ECMstatic-03 IMAG2083.jpg

ECMstatic-04 IMAG2085.jpg

ECMstatic-05 IMAG2084.jpg

Very simple to put together, all parts easily available

Eoin

• 2 months later...

Hi

Here is a very useful tool if doing a lot of fine gluing using a syringe. Standard syringes can be very hurtful on the hands if a viscus glue is being used and after applying the glue to a DART body print with a standard syringe I can do nothing else for several hours!

ADHD-01 IMAG2196.jpg

ADHD-02 IMAG2197.jpg

This unit is really comfortable to use, one can place the glue accurately with one hand and no strain.

The unit comes with 30 clear barrels, pistons, end caps (if using different glues the barrel end can be sealed), and a range of tips.

Its from adhesivedispensers.co.uk and cost £67.00 including postage.

If doing a lot of fine gluing you got to get one

Eoin

I thought of a Sci-Fi film prop- 'Model 7698-B Master Blaster'

or do you remember the RTE adds long ago - 'Stamp out sarcoptic-mange-mites and Liver Fluke'!!!!

Thanks btb- I was wondering what I was doing wrong when my tongue was turning DART green!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
For Broithe and my mind

I thought of a SF film prop- 'Model 7698-B Master Blaster'

or do you remember the RTE adds long ago - 'Stamp out sarcoptic-mange-mites and Liver Fluke'!!!!

Thanks btb- I was wondering what I was doing wrong when my tongue was turning DART green!

Eoin

I prefer the term Sci-Fi, I thought you could be straying into political territory there...