Yellow lines alomg station platforms

Rate this question

FrankS

Question

Hi guys,

Apologies for such a simple question, but, its 44 years since I l;ast stood on an Irish Railway Station Platform.

I'm about to add the yello safety lines to my platforms.

Q. What happens to the yellow safety lines when you reach the end of the platform and it changes into a ramp ???

Do the yellow lines just end ??? Or, maybe turn through 90 degrees and go across the platform ??? or Maybe just continue down the ramp ???

As always, help and info much appreciated.

19 answers to this question

At Ballybrophy, most possibilities are covered...

mGswM.jpg

CoHUB.jpg

And, always remember - if you take up a load of brick paviors with writing on them, then be sure to stack them systematically, so that it's easy to put them back as they were...

Edited by Broithe

Also, the 'Stand Behind Yellow Line' painted-on warnings are alternately in English and Irish. Can't remember exact wording right now.

Ballybrophy, again.

3yRDY.jpg

yw4QO.jpg

See my avatar for the Irish version of the wall sign - Keep behind the yellow line. Caution! Trains may pass at speed.

At Ballybrophy, most of them do....

Edited by Broithe

Yellow lines came in with the DART (for 1984) and probably spread system wide later.

I think I read somewhere that white lines were introduced in the UK during the blackout, to make it easier to see the edge in the dark. Michael Baker's "The Railways of the Republic of Ireland" shows Connolly, Pearse and Heuston without white lines in 1972-73, and now I come to think of it, I don't remember Malahide having white lines up to the early 80s. (Could be wrong on that though.)

Don't forget the signs saying "Warning! Trains may pass at speed." Or the graffiti saying "The last one was in 1952."

Alan

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but were the warning lines on all terminii? I 'think' UK practice is not to have them on a terminus (branch, or main line..()

Eiretrains may have the answer, Bosko... certainly, Sligo didn't have warning lines when the intrepid photographer paid a visit...

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20S/Sligo/IrishRailwayStations.html#Sligo_20040708_001_CC_JA.jpg

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but were the warning lines on all terminii? I 'think' UK practice is not to have them on a terminus (branch, or main line..()

They were there at Heuston, as were the Trains May Pass At Speed signs, which always amused me.

As I see that I've also said above.....