Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

I have added some Woodland Scenics bushes, undergrowth and clump foliage to the scene. The dry flower arrangement trees have been removed. Following a group members suggestion (I cant remember who, some of the posts have disappeared ) I looked into the possibility of improving them and applying foliage but they didn't look right. Some smaller pieces were used as bushes however. The scene as it is suggests that not too many trees will be need on the layout so buying some decent ones wont brake the bank.

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

That's just a thing of beauty :) :) :)

Your rate of progress is phenomenal!

A lot of progress is due to the fact that the layout is so accessable, I just have to walk downstairs from the livingroom. There is a kitchen sink downstairs ten feet from the layout, which is very convenient, all supplies are nearby and not having a duckunder makes visiting the layout much easier, often I go take a look at my progess and get sucked into a project. Track ballasting is getting done one foot at a time whenever time allows. None of the above could be said about my previous layout, after 10 years it had only got as far as baseboards track wirinng. I also get a lot of fun from planning and research so by the time a project is started materials are at hand and I have worked out in my head how to proceed.

I roughed in platforms at Grange station. Since they are on a curve I wanted to figure out clearances an how to build them before risking more expensive materials. Also my neighbor Bruce, a train fan, has been asking about the first formal operating session and a place to board passengers was desirable. The whole scene is just crying out for some SSM signals, which I have on hand just waiting to be built.

IMAG0078.jpg

I like the reverse curve through the station, the Dapol Booking Office is similar in general style to Rosslare Strand, Durrow and Kilmacthomas so fits in nicely with the general theme.

Thanks John. The Dapol kit was chosen for that very reason. The signal cabin has also some GSWR charecteristics espically when the outside platform is omitted. In both cases a CIE paint job works wonders. Both are intended as stand in models until I hopefully scratch build some appropriate models, something I have as yet very little experience in. On a visit to Ireland last year I found The Bachmann "Irish" station building and signal cabin. I couldn't resist them and am using them as stand in's for now for Glen More the other station on the layout. Your previous comments comments on this thread about how that station having a GN feel both delighted and alarmed me. I was delighted you felt I had captured the atmosphere of a small Irish station but alrmed that you were seeing a different railway! The Dapol kits, though in many ways inferior to the Bachmann models ring more true on the layout.

I love the long sweeping curves and uncrowded station layouts, and the scenic work is first class.

A couple of points to note. You might want to renumber that railcar: they were renumbered into 6101 series when the engines were taken out and after that they worked push pull with B201 class between Bray and Dundalk. You might want to check whether the white band on A58R should be a bit thinner and more rounded - it looks a bit too triangular, but I could be wrong. Finally, did you repaint your bauxte brake van grey? I thought they were always in bauxite myself, but others on here would know better than I do.

Cracking layout. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Alan

Thanks for all the posotive comments. The brake van was inspired by a photo of a 20 ton van taken in Tralee. Metrovick C Class Loco in Tralee Yard

It is practically identical to my 30 ton version. Both are scratch built bodies on shortened Hornby underframes. There seemed to have been many detail variations in both the 20 and 30 ton vans. The one in the picture seems to have smooth sides, most 20 ton vans were planked. The A class and railcar are ready to run Silver Fox models. I will accept their shortcomings for now as I am striving for a complete overall picture. When the scenery and structures are essentially completed I will start upgrading rolling stock..........although with all the great recent posts on 21mm guage that avenue is becomeing increasing appealing. For now the layout is proving to be a great learning experience.

Having re-read my last post I hope I didn't sound too critical of Silver Fox models. They are to be commended for entering the small Irish market and without their A class this layout would not have been started. There are some wonderful photos of the A and C class on this site detailed with the SSM etchings.

In answer... Those brake vans were indeed all bauxite in later years but up to about 1970 (from my own memory) they were grey, with the black / yellow stripes on the ducket. Earlier, they were grey all over.

That layout is one of my all time favourites!!!!! For a next book, I'd be hard put to pick between a still shot off that layout, or an actual photo of Lixnaw or Cappoquin in the sixties!!!!

[video=youtube;-SxQrxiyF7U]

Not much got done on the layout in the last week. Sometimes playing guitar wins out. I was also in need of some modelling supplies and the local hobby shop is closed for vacation. This video got made just for the fun of it. hope you enjoy it.

Lovely video there, and thanks for the link. Very interesting about the brake van liveries. As for the railcar numbers, I hope I didn't sound critical above - I've a terrible tendency to make suggestions. I'm sure I'm going to end up as one of those cranks who says, 'you've missed out a rivet on the tender there: there should be 13 and you've only got 12." I really admire the way you're focusing on getting the overall picture right, and getting the trains up and running.

Alan

Just standard scatter?

Its Woodland Scenics light green and medium green coarse turf olive green bushes and light green underbrush. There is also a little light green clump foliage which I also used on trees. I plan to try fine turf fur farm fields. Woodland Scenics has instructional videos on You Tube which are worth checking out.

The 12 ton ex GN van's are from Parkside Dundas. These kits come with two different ends and I use the end with the smaller sprung buffers. The other ends with the larger hydraulic buffers are then used with the Parkside Dundas palvan kit to make the sliding door vans. According to "The Locomotives of CIE and NIR" these wagons were built with three different ends but I dont ever recall seeing ends similar to those supplied with the kit. I dont know for sure but from the photos I'v seen the corrugated ends seemed most common. A little carving on the lower inside of the corrugated ends is needed to make it work. The doors are built from thin plasticard sheet and strip and the vac brake fittings are omitted. I dont have drawings, just consulted photos. The end result is a very distinctive Irish wagon.