Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Patrick, love the layout so far really atmospheric with hints of activity around the station but not over stating them. As for station names id say use the rural nature of the area to your advantage something road with hints of a village near by although if you wanted to stick by the sea, ardmore, grange and ring are the only villages up there. Will definetly be keeping an eye out when travelling that way later on today for other names. Keep up the good work

• 3 weeks later...

In a burst of activity in the last week the benchwork, trackwork, wiring and valance for the layout was completed. A number of things were changed from the original plan. A fiddle yard was substituted for the planned traverser which I was never too keen on in the first place. The original plan for the station on the west end of the railway (which will be called Grange, the second station name has yet to be decided on) was for a single platform and one siding. I was never happy about this arrangement since most if not all such small stations were closed by the mid sixties. There was enough room for a passing track, long enough for a four coach train, and goods siding provided a traverser was used, but after mocking up this arrangement on the baseboard the station appeared cramped and I wanted to maintain the spacious feeling of the rest of the railway. The solution I came up with was to have the main line and passing loop disappear under a road bridge directly into a fiddle yard giving the impression that the station is longer than it actually is, and I didn't have to build a traverser. A second controller was also wired up. This is an Aristo Craft Basic Train Engineer. It consists of a device which is wired up between a 12 volt DC transformer and the track and a radio control throttle allowing cordless walk around control.

I started putting in some scenery today. The landforms are built using strips of corrugated cardboard from cardboard boxes woven together and stuck with hot glue. The whole thing is then covered with Woodland Scenics plaster cloth. The next step is a covering of a plaster compound called Sculptamould to smooth out the surface.

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

I started putting in some scenery today. The landforms are built using strips of corrugated cardboard from cardboard boxes woven together and stuck with hot glue. The whole thing is then covered with Woodland Scenics plaster cloth. The next step is a covering of a plaster compound called Sculptamould to smooth out the surface.

I love this patrick keep posting photos as you progress. :tumbsup:

Both local hobby shops were out of Hydrocal plaster so casting rocks for around the tunnel mouth could not go ahead this weekend. Instead some ground cover was applied and track ballasted to make a mostly completed scene. The wintery trees came from a retired dry flower arrangement I found in the garage which I couldn't resist using for now. With a little more work they might stay.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg