Ballybeg

Rate this topic

I'm just imagining what was happening that morning in Ballybeg. 383 is being prepared for the morning goods train, while the 101 is trundling through light engine to Limerick Junction to pick up beet empties....

Mogul 383 rapidly reaching the end of its days on the main-line, CIE men unsure of this new-fangled technology involving diesel locomotives...

• 1 month later...

A couple of shots of the viaduct/pub end of Ballybeg caught as the sun sets low. 085 is bringing its MK3 carriages across the viaduct with 156 about to haul its load of cement onto the bridge. Bill Poster is hard at work on the Railway Bar while the party outside takes off. A couple of other locos/blues lurk in the shadows also...

DSCF1392.jpg

DSCF1375.jpg

DSCF1378.jpg

DSCF1379.jpg

DSCF1381.jpg

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1386.jpg

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1390.jpg

Edited by Irishrailwayman

It's getting a bit crowded there and that strong sun takes no prisoners, love that signal.

Thanks Kirley. Lots of action alright. It sounds good also as these locos have RealDrive soundchips from Mr Soundguy.

The Lattice distant signal was made from components from Model Signal Engineering but Westy now has a more convenient all-in-one etch available.

• 1 year later...
34 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Unless I'm mistaken, your grey guard's van has tiimber planked ends rather than steel sheet. For the period you cover, that is of course prototypical; some wooden pannelled vans, some steel.

My question - where did you get the wooden one? I have two SSM but they're steel-sided (and ended).

I got a pair of 20 ton RTR from IFM, both planked. Expensive but worth it to have the real McCoy behind my rakes of loose coupled pick up mixed goods trains.

http://www.irishfreightmodels.com/index.php/shop.html#!/CIE-20-Ton-Planked-Brake-Van/p/45444642/category=3587606

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Unless I'm mistaken, your grey guard's van has tiimber planked ends rather than steel sheet. For the period you cover, that is of course prototypical; some wooden pannelled vans, some steel.

My question - where did you get the wooden one? I have two SSM but they're steel-sided (and ended).

This is the model from Irish Freight Models to which I added a red lamp and guard. The wooden planks are vertical but I have seen photos where the wood is planked horizontally so it may have varied across the fleet. The model features NEM pockets, spoked wheels and has wire grilles on the internal doors/window apertures. A couple of pics:

DSCF1887.thumb.JPG.763e15b1f5de5854c92d763e71d47e10.JPGDSCF1888.thumb.JPG.c4c24da51cf9e7e38944f19bf0e3a721.JPGDSCF1889.thumb.JPG.a33fca8296c248f90f286f45c5a0a155.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Hi Gerry.  Did you use a lighting kit for the two Metro Vic locos, or DIY?  LED through body or fibre optic from internal LEDs, etc? Noel

Hi Noel, The directional lighting was done DIY on all of these Silver Fox locos. The LED lighting shines through two apertures drilled in the bodywork and was wired in to the DCC soundchips fitted in each case. The Mr Soundguy sound project from A39 was used. Gerry

4 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Hi Noel, The directional lighting was done DIY on all of these Silver Fox locos. The LED lighting shines through two apertures drilled in the bodywork and was wired in to the DCC soundchips fitted in each case. The Mr Soundguy sound project from A39 was used. Gerry

Thanks Gerry.  Did you fill the apertures with fibre optic or put plastic lens in?

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks Gerry.  Did you fill the apertures with fibre optic or put plastic lens in?

I used Glue and Glaze to provide a lens if I recall correctly but a slice of a clear plastic bar would do either. I tried fibre optic cables previously but the type I had were a bit inflexible - perhaps there are better types available now.

4 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

I used Glue and Glaze to provide a lens if I recall correctly but a slice of a clear plastic bar would do either. I tried fibre optic cables previously but the type I had were a bit inflexible - perhaps there are better types available now.

Ah that's clever using Glue'n'Glaze :)

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2018 at 6:10 PM, jhb171achill said:

I think the wooden sides and ends were on the 20t van. The 30 tonner had steel sides and ends. The SSM model is of the 30t.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2016 at 4:10 PM, Irishrailwayman said:

A couple more views. I have added an extension, a gents and a platform canopy to the Bachmann pre-cast Clonmel station for Ballybeg. Note the oil wagons: the Burmah are a Hornby offering included for colour/variety rather than historical accuracy; the black and the silver ESSO wagons appear in only one photograph I have seen them on Irish railways (page 56 - dated 1957 at Adelaide in NI - "Irish Railways in Colour - A second glance"). Perhaps Westie could be persuaded to do transfers for "Irish Shell" or "Mex" oil tankers which were more commonly recorded on Irish lines...

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1022.jpg

DSCF1023.jpg

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1026.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF1029.jpg

DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1031.jpg