Ballybeg

Rate this topic

While looking at some GNR covered wagon drawings I came across on for the grain wagon mentioned in the posts from jhb171achill and Lough Erne. This is similar to the Guinness wagon but with no large side doors but as well as the hatches on the roof there are 4 small doors on each side. There appears to be a ladder on the outside giving access to the middle hatch. The drawing mentions a ladder on the inside leading down from the centre hatch.

MikeO

• 5 months later...

Some video of my visit to Ballybeg.

The ballast train has Mr soundguy 141 realdrive 187 in charge

of 12 shapeway/prestwin ballast wagons,while the two plough

vans are from SSM.077 came straight out of the box

for its very first run and test with

Mrsoundguy non realdrive chip,with the first half of the

cements my own IFM wagons,while Gerrys own MIR cements

make up the second half.

Edited by enniscorthyman

Some video of my visit to Ballybeg.

The ballast train has Mr soundguy 141 realdrive 187 in charge

of 12 shapeway/prestwin ballast wagons,while the two plough

vans are from SSM.077 came straight out of the box

for its very first run and test with

Mrsoundguy non realdrive chip,with the first half of the

cements my own IFM wagons,while Gerrys own MIR cements

make up the second half.

Very enjoyable. 187 and the rolling stock looked the part. Love that layout.

• 2 months later...

A couple more views. I have added an extension, a gents and a platform canopy to the Bachmann pre-cast Clonmel station for Ballybeg. Note the oil wagons: the Burmah are a Hornby offering included for colour/variety rather than historical accuracy; the black and the silver ESSO wagons appear in only one photograph I have seen them on Irish railways (page 56 - dated 1957 at Adelaide in NI - "Irish Railways in Colour - A second glance"). Perhaps Westie could be persuaded to do transfers for "Irish Shell" or "Mex" oil tankers which were more commonly recorded on Irish lines...

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1022.jpg

DSCF1023.jpg

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1026.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF1029.jpg

DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1031.jpg

DSCF1032.jpg

DSCF1033.jpg

DSCF1034.jpg

• Like 2

The changes to the carlow building look great! Is the canopy bashed from a kit?

For the canopy I used some plastic sheeting of Slates from Wills and cut it to shape. The valencing is by Ratio. The extension used Wills Stone plastic sheet and Quoins (corner-stones) and window/door surrounds by Langley Models. For the gents, I used a Wills kit for interiour details. I added tile edges to roofs and "lead" to valleys using leftovers from some Metcalfe card models.

A couple of off-line views around Ballybeg for the record.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22750[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22749[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22745[/ATTACH]

Edited by Irishrailwayman

A couple of off-line views around Ballybeg for the record.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22740[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22750[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22749[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22748[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22745[/ATTACH]

Not sure why these shots don't appear (they were fine on Preview)??

Edited by Irishrailwayman

• 1 month later...
Absolutely superb, it's the details that really bring a layout to life. Love it, great work well done :tumbsup:

All are invited to see Ballybeg "in the flesh" at the St Joseph's Easter Show! I have remodelled it such that the backscenes will not hinder viewing. I will be showing late steam (1950s) and early diesels (1960s)on the Sunday then Black&Tan and Supertrain liveries on the Monday.

Also I will be showing my Llangollen in N gauge layout. Much more at the show (see http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5326-St-Joseph-s-Hobby-and-Model-Show-Easter-2016?p=86794#post86794 )

All are invited to see Ballybeg "in the flesh" at the St Joseph's Easter Show! I have remodelled it such that the backscenes will not hinder viewing. I will be showing late steam (1950s) and early diesels (1960s)on the Sunday then Black&Tan and Supertrain liveries on the Monday.

Also I will be showing my Llangollen in N gauge layout. Much more at the show (see http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5326-St-Joseph-s-Hobby-and-Model-Show-Easter-2016?p=86794#post86794 )

I won't miss it this Easter. Well done Gerry it is totally realistic.

How much better does this layout get?

The people of Ballybeg, it has to be said are very industrious! Such background activity is always a good (and often neglected area) of layouts. How many (including my former one pre-first-house-moves) have nice trains rattling round sizeable stations with not a sinner about!

• 6 months later...