Ballybeg

Rate this topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Super video and wonderful layout. What speaker did you put in 187?

FYI, I set CV287=44 increased from 22 on MrSoundguy's Zimo which gives a longer braking sound duration as 141/181s come to a halt. Out of the box it was a little too brief for my taste. I also adjusted CV255 and CV29 to move the notch table higher and achieve better scale top speeds.

Keith now has a mk3 version of the 141/181 sound project with tweaks like this incorporated and flange squeal now a latching on/off function rather than a limited time play (i.e. the flange squeal will can now play indefinitely until you turn it off like the LokSound 071 projects). He has also reduced the 'clinking' sound when the GM motor is idling. I have really grown to like the 'Realdrive' method of driving model locos with coasting and braking needed to more prototypically drive and stop trains. The LokSound also sounds great and more direct to drive, but it's just not as much fun to model drive trains like the real thing.

PS: I found after much 'play time' that running more than one loco with sound on at the same time seemed a little cluttered audio wise. One loco seemed to cancel out the others subtle sounds when notching down, coasting and braking. I've also turned the volume way down to get a balance between GM motor noise and wheel/rail noise from coaches and wagons.

Edited by Noel

Noel I just used the standard bass enhanced speaker

with the back taken off as I was having trouble getting the cab to fit properly.

Some great info on CVs cheers.

Thanks. Did you take the speaker out of the case and rest it in the existing MM speaker cradle, or remove the cradle and put the speaker in its place with half the speaker body still attached? (i.e. without having to saw the chassis lugs off)

Thanks. Did you take the speaker out of the case and rest it in the existing MM speaker cradle, or remove the cradle and put the speaker in its place with half the speaker body still attached? (i.e. without having to saw the chassis lugs off)

My 187 had the chassis lugs taken off as well

as all speaker parts that were originally in the

loco.I can't say I would fancy taking the speaker

out of the housing altogether, although it would

save on the work to clear out this area.

Well done Eamonn that 181 class sounds excellent and what a layout to see her in action on. I remember on the odd occasion one of that class, or a 141 would turn up on the Amonia and did they have to work hard on the DSER section, they'd be roaring and absolutely crawling up the grades but still got the job done. The As did the same work in a honest hardworking away, when the 071s were cascaded it was a handy run for one of those and when the 201s took over it seemed like a breeze for them and you would never even here the loco having to work.

My 187 had the chassis lugs taken off as well

as all speaker parts that were originally in the

loco.I can't say I would fancy taking the speaker

out of the housing altogether, although it would

save on the work to clear out this area.

Thanks Eamonn. It sounds like the speaker housing was split into two which was the technique recommended by MSB to get some bass (i.e. speaker retained in half the case), OR did the full 20x40mm speaker housing fit in your 141? I might try and cut the lugs of one of my 141s so see if the full bass reflex speaker housing makes much of a difference compared to a standard 20x40mm speaker in the MM cradle. Noel

PS: I am awaiting another updated 141/181 Zimo from Keith with the version 3 tweaks.

Thanks Eamonn. It sounds like the speaker housing was split into two which was the technique recommended by MSB to get some bass (i.e. speaker retained in half the case), OR did the full 20x40mm speaker housing fit in your 141? I might try and cut the lugs of one of my 141s so see if the full bass reflex speaker housing makes much of a difference compared to a standard 20x40mm speaker in the MM cradle. Noel

PS: I am awaiting another updated 141/181 Zimo from Keith with the version 3 tweaks.

The full Bass Reflex speaker is worth adding for depth of sound for 141/071 and 201. However, particularly with the 141, a fair amount of the lead weight has to be filed down (take care as this substance is toxic). It is a bit easier with the 071 but in both cases the speaker will intrude into the cab area. Adding a driver figure can mask this but the cab light in the 071 will not be visible with the larger speaker intruding.

So nobody has designed a speaker that will actually fit correctly? Isn't the MM 141/181 DCC 'ready'. Ready to have what installed exactly? Running- sure. How long has DCC sound been around (no, I don't know, for sure)

Yes and Yes.

The 141/181s have a speaker cradle inside (i.e. mount) that will comfortably accommodate an uncased 20x40mm speaker. As Stephen has said the space is available but not for larger encased speakers such as bass reflex (i.e. which are housed in a plastic case). When installing a speaker one needs to solder wires from the speaker to two marked points on the loco's circuit board labelled SP+ and SP-. Sound decoders will then utilise this speaker.

Larger speakers can be installed, but as already explained by others require either cutting of the chassis block, or doctoring the speaker case. I had just asked Eamonn which he had opted for. I just popped mine in without any 'bodging' and soldered the pair of speaker wires to the loco.

Yes and Yes.

The 141/181s have a speaker cradle inside (i.e. mount) that will comfortably accommodate an uncased 20x40mm speaker. As Stephen has said the space is available but not for larger encased speakers such as bass reflex (i.e. which are housed in a plastic case). When installing a speaker one needs to solder wires from the speaker to two marked points on the loco's circuit board labelled SP+ and SP-. Sound decoders will then utilise this speaker.

Larger speakers can be installed, but as already explained by others require either cutting of the chassis block, or doctoring the speaker case. I had just asked Eamonn which he had opted for. I just popped mine in without any 'bodging' and soldered the pair of speaker wires to the loco.

I approached PM many times over the years pleading to have sufficient space included in his designs to accommodate a Bass Reflex speaker or at least a Bass Enhanced speaker. The small round speakers could never hope to reproduce the sound of 141/071/201 with any degree of authenticity particularly as chip/speaker technology develops. However, to no avail so far - will he leave enough room in the new 121s to house a decent speaker I wonder?

I approached PM many times over the years pleading to have sufficient space included in his designs to accommodate a Bass Reflex speaker or at least a Bass Enhanced speaker. The small round speakers could never hope to reproduce the sound of 141/071/201 with any degree of authenticity particularly as chip/speaker technology develops. However, to no avail so far - will he leave enough room in the new 121s to house a decent speaker I wonder?

Hi IRM. Well I guess a 121 could be even tighter for space than a 141/181 body. The 4ohm speakers fitted into the 071/201s are not bass reflex but sound ok with the higher pitched engines. I suspect the quieter revving baby GMs could benefit from a little more bass especially at idle and lower RPMs. I know most folk seem to be longing for 121s as the next MM product but 001 (A) class could perhaps outsell 121s by 3:1 as well as having a slightly lower production cost due to simpler body form (i.e. one piece upper body mould and no hand rails to stick on), as well as having oceans of internal space for weight and larger speakers. Whatever new locos MM decide to produce in the next 5 years or so I will be happy with. Their locos are superb. Cheers. Noel

Hi IRM. Well I guess a 121 could be even tighter for space than a 141/181 body. The 4ohm speakers fitted into the 071/201s are not bass reflex but sound ok with the higher pitched engines. I suspect the quieter revving baby GMs could benefit from a little more bass especially at idle and lower RPMs. I know most folk seem to be longing for 121s as the next MM product but 001 (A) class could perhaps outsell 121s by 3:1 as well as having a slightly lower production cost due to simpler body form (i.e. one piece upper body mould and no hand rails to stick on), as well as having oceans of internal space for weight and larger speakers. Whatever new locos MM decide to produce in the next 5 years or so I will be happy with. Their locos are superb. Cheers. Noel

The 121 is definitely next in line.