Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New DART 8100 Model

New DART 8100 Model

Can I start it again by adding;

I build a 00 model 8100 DART and trying to get going in the market! This is a hand build item in my workshop and takes me 4 to 5 days to complete a two coach Dart after I have batch manufactured the fiddley parts. My price at the moment is €400.00, which shocks everyone. I would be interested if any of you have the time to view the web site www.ecmtrains.com and return comments

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Can I start it again by adding;

I build a 00 model 8100 DART and trying to get going in the market! This is a hand build item in my workshop and takes me 4 to 5 days to complete a two coach Dart after I have batch manufactured the fiddley parts. My price at the moment is €400.00, which shocks everyone. I would be interested if any of you have the time to view the web site www.ecmtrains.com and return comments

Thanks
    Well the best of luck to you,did you know we have been working on the same model but done in brass with fly wheel Dcc for release after the DD,some time Dec?

M.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    Murrayec, that is truly a fine model. The only comment I would make is that fully transparent windows would really make it amazing.
    Have to agree with Des
    [url]

www.themodelshop.ie
    E: info@themodelshop.ie

The model looks excellent but for 400 euro your buyers will expect glazing I think....
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Had a look at your website Eoin, one question –what type of glazing will you be using?

I'm not really surprised that the €400 price shocks people. With all due respect and I am being honest here and not trying to be hurtful but, there seems to be a lot of printed detail on the models and very little 3 dimensional parts. The windows not being transparent glazing makes it look a Little toy like as there seems to be no interior. I've seen a lot of model railway products in several different gauges over the years hand built by some fine modellers, but never anything that expensive and lacking so many separate details.

The cost of buying or building over head catenary for an EMU layout would make a four car set seem very expensive. As an example the 2600 DMU's released last year which were, researched, computer drawn, assembled, glazed, decaled and painted seem more reasonable price wise. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to the drawing board and rework some details, or lower prices to substantially reach a wider customer base. Most of us will be buying the 071-111 models when they are released and those models are the standard that punters expect these days of economic uncertainty. I congratulate you on attempting to bring something new to the market but i think you need to sit down and have a rethink regarding the price.

Rich,

I think Rich hits the nail on the head here. Well done for having a go, but I can't see anyone will pay 400 euro for something that has printed detail and no glazing, especially in these times. If I was forking out 400 quid for something it would be either brass or O gauge.

I hope it goes well for you, but maybe look at alternative methods of construction, such as those employed by the 2600 railcars to see if you can do something better for less.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

My opinion would be similar to the two previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRich View Post
    I'm not really surprised that the €400 price shocks people. With all due respect and I am being honest here and not trying to be hurtful but, there seems to be a lot of printed detail on the models and very little 3 dimensional parts. The windows not being transparent glazing makes it look a Little toy like as there seems to be no interior. I've seen a lot of model railway products in several different gauges over the years hand built by some fine modellers, but never anything that expensive and lacking so many separate details.

The cost of buying or building over head catenary for an EMU layout would make a four car set seem very expensive. As an example the 2600 DMU's released last year which were, researched, computer drawn, assembled, glazed, decaled and painted seem more reasonable price wise. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back to the drawing board and rework some details, or lower prices to substantially reach a wider customer base. Most of us will be buying the 071-111 models when they are released and those models are the standard that punters expect these days of economic uncertainty. I congratulate you on attempting to bring something new to the market but i think you need to sit down and have a rethink regarding the price.

Rich,

I have to agree with you 100% Rich there is no way that model is worth 400euro for printed detail more like 40euro. I would be more interested in DK's forthcoming brass version. I think if it were sitting on a layout with the like of Murphy/MIR/SSM and DK models it would just look so out of place and lacking in 3D detail. It looks more cheap toy like and definitely not 400euro.

I seen one of these recently at the show in Dun Laoghaire and I didn't like the look of it due to the printed detail but I need to sit down now and reach for my tablets as I can't believe it has that sort of price tag on it. If it were a hell of a lot cheaper I would say yes but at that sort of money I think you have just shot yourself in both feet.
    Last edited by Anthony; 29-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I have to echo what the others have said , a model with printed detail isn't worth €400
    Last edited by BabyGM; 29-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.