Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New DART 8100 Model

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRich View Post
    ...One of the lads is building a 21mm model of an SSM kit at the moment and judging from what he has done so far in his build your models are at the moment a million miles away from that quality and craftsmanship...
    One thing I should point out is that I'm building from an existing kit, on which a great deal of research and design was done over two decades ago. The game has moved on even from that: hence, upgraded suspension and a few other tweaks.

The LHB Dart stock, despite its apparently simple shape, presents a fair degree of challenge. Will you try to produce a ready-to-go model, or break it down into kit form for us to assemble? How will the moulding be done, e.g. 3D printing or traditional expensive injection moulding? Will you cater only for 00/16.5 gauge, or will there be allowance for 21mm people like me? There are costs incurred at every stage.

And people do expect to see inside the models, so windows must be transparent, which means getting your frames right, plus a representation of the seats and sliding doors.

As you're discovering, the whole thing's not as easy as it looks!
    Last edited by Horsetan; 30-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Something else to consider is that the DART will have a fairly limited appeal due to its restricted operation over one line. I can't recall seeing too many Irish layouts with overhead wires and/or based on the geographical location or timeframe that the DARTs operate in. I do accept that overhead stock and overhead wires is a bit of a 'chicken and the egg' situation though.

Railcars are characterised by their windows as glazing is such a prominent feature. Maybe look instead at freight stock? Since MIR ceased manufacturing there has been a shortage of Irish freight wagons on offer. There are people who are now moving to fill those gaps, but there might be wagons they do not offer which you can have a go at.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Horsetan View Post
    One thing I should point out is that I'm building from an existing kit, on which a great deal of research and design was done over two decades ago. The game has moved on even from that: hence, upgraded suspension and a few other tweaks.

The LHB Dart stock, despite its apparently simple shape, presents a fair degree of challenge. Will you try to produce a ready-to-go model, or break it down into kit form for us to assemble? How will the moulding be done, e.g. 3D printing or traditional expensive injection moulding? Will you cater only for 00/16.5 gauge, or will there be allowance for 21mm people like me? There are costs incurred at every stage.

As you're discovering, the whole thing's not as easy as it looks!
    I agree with you on the point about the loco being an existing kit. It's the finish and quality of the kit parts provided that is most important whether you build it yourself or whether the designer or a professional builds it for you. I have seen finished DC Kits DMU's and Bratchell EMU's painted, motorized, and finished to a very high standard and that is due to the design and quality of the kit parts. The Dart kits from the OP's post are designed and built by himself and it is the quality of the finished kit on the website and it's price that are the issues. Even the underframe boxes are printed and the windscreen wipers. Things are a bit different when you are modelling static buildings or platforms from Scalescenes or the buildings Glenderg has built. Also all of Glenderg's buildings are three dimensional when built even though most of the parts are printed.

Darts run in four or eight car sets and on a four car set one car would only need to be motorized similar to the Bachmann BR EMU models with a black beetle motor or something similar, and as myself and Fran have said geographical wise you are limited to one line where overhead catenary is as important as the train. I hope the chap has a rethink and designs something that will have the wow factor to deserve the price tag, and I truly wish him the best of luck with whatever he decides. I will certainly pop over to have a closer look at the models and have a chat at the October MRSI show.

Rich,

Quote Originally Posted by RedRich View Post
    Darts run in four or eight car sets and on a four car set one car would only need to be motorized similar to the Bachmann BR EMU models with a black beetle motor or something similar, and as myself and Fran have said geographical wise you are limited to one line where overhead catenary is as important as the train.
    Rich,
    The LHBs can work in 2,4,6 or 8 car formations. The 8500/10/20 are either 4 or 8 within class or 6 with an 8100.

Quote Originally Posted by Railer View Post
    The LHBs can work in 2,4,6 or 8 car formations. The 8500/10/20 are either 4 or 8 within class or 6 with an 8100.
    Yes you are perfectly right and I have seen 3 car sets in Killester station. It is more common to see them in 4 car sets and rarely in 2 although I am certain it has happened. You would be resigning yourself to model a set in a particular formation on a particular day. It would be safe to say that most modellers would want to run a 4 car set, and that is what I would imagine a supplier of the models would be hoping for in a business sense.

Rich,

I'd certainly love a 4 car dart, if not two! Would give me a great reason to build some OHLE on the layout

Quote Originally Posted by BosKonay View Post
    I'd certainly love a 4 car dart, if not two! Would give me a great reason to build some OHLE on the layout
    Me too BosKonay, I'll be right behind you in the queue for DKs version. I can't wait for it!! Id say it'll be amazing if his other stuff is anything to go by!!

Yep - I'm eagerly awaiting their DD's - I've a few of the DMUs and they are utterley stunning in terms of detail and realism!

Quote Originally Posted by BosKonay View Post
    Your layout and the inspiration for it would be taken to a whole different level if you did Stephen. Spend your spare time building it and if it takes a long time what harm. Most modellers say that when a layout is finished it's time to build a new one, so use it as a lifetime project and always add to it and improve it and you will never tire of it.

Rich,

I seem to remember a model of Bray head many years ago. Anyone know what became of it.

Rich,