Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New DART 8100 Model

On the positive side, the bogies, underframe, pantograph and couplings look good.

But for laser printed bodies, I'd expect to pay maybe 50-100 on top of the base cost of the donor?

Quote Originally Posted by BosKonay View Post
    I'd expect to pay maybe 50-100 on top of the base cost of the donor?

Still way to mush for printed plastic Stephen. Modelling has come a long way when it comes to detail when you look at what is out there and I'm sorry to say that this model just ain't coming up to the standard of the price that is been asked for. Murrayec needs to have a good rethink the days of producing models like this and commanding a price tag like he is looking for are long gone when you consider that his price is in around that of DK's railcar which is head and shoulders above it and is worth the money for the detail you get.

I hope Murrayec don't take the comments the wrong way but when you come on a site like this and ask guys who are used to a high level of detail and don't thing twice about looking for ways to improve on even the likes of PM's models you can not expect to pull the wool over their eyes with detail and more importantly pricing.

It just wouldn't sit right with any Murphy's Models equipment no matter what the price.
    Tony

Agree with most people. bogies look well.. pantographs look well. but the rest... just not quite it.

Have to agree with what the lads have said, i'm really looking for a Dart for my layout but i rather have a respray of something into Dart livery even if its not the exact model than have entirely printed model. It looks very toy'ish to me, and lacks 3d detail, i just don't think it would look well beside super detailed MM's. I though the 400e was a typo ( seriously ). When you look at the detail on DK's creations there is just no comparison. I'm sorry if i sound harsh and this is only my opinion. I think its a very brave step for people to model the Irish scene for production and i wish anyone who does so well but they have to look at Murphys, DK and silverfox to see the standard people ( well me anyway ) has come to expect. Again this is my opinion and i do not wish to offend anyone.

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Most would expect either a good basic resin shell, to which detail (turned/cast/etched) can be added, or a fully-etched kit that you can solder together.

And there are still the gauge options to cater for as well.
    "F*** your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside"

Realistically, there are too many other better options to spend 400 euro on right now. New MM 071's - new Bell containers - new 20' Flats etc.... The list goes on. There's a lot of competition for good rolling stock out there right now, which is great for the Irish model consumer which is great. I understand you probably feel its worth that because you spent so much time on it. I think its Encouraging to see products and honestly wish you the best, but It's just too much money that people would rather spend on other things right now. That's the truth of it.
    CONOR

Hi guys

Excellent feedback

Yes I do agree windows and an interior would enhance the model, though with an already time consuming construction this would add to the cost, my initial estimate on a brass etched system would increase the time two-fold, with the extra construction and the painting. I plan to continue designing a system with windows, be it plastic or brass- one possibility on the drawing board is 3D plastic printing. But this is for the future

Parts and material costs are at €150.00 for the two coaches and that's before I start to make anything! The prototype on the web site has only two parts from a donor Lema train, bogies with serious modification done and the motor, all other parts are fabricated. I could only find one possible donor train when I started this project and its retail price was close to €300 and required some serious modification to turn it into a DART

I do have plans to fit doors and door head rail to break up the flat sides, which should be on the next models constructed. Though the DART is a very flat looking train anyway!

I am continually looking for pre-fabricated parts and testing ways to speed up construction so that I can bring down the price, building the train in batches of 10 units may also help- but I have not done this yet! Parts cost is prohibitive.

I have also ventured into plastic moulding for bogie sides, air tanks, corridor connectors and the skirt- all will be on the next models.

I will have three trains at the October show, please come and take a look at it in the flesh and see does this change anything.

I am absolutely chuffed that some of you take this so seriously and compare my first handmade model to some well established model makers using foreign injection moulding, machine painting and mass produced systems.

killucan2 - I would like to see your DART if you can send me any photos? I had heard that someone else was working on one.

Thanks

murrayec

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    killucan2 - I would like to see your DART if you can send me any photos? I had heard that someone else was working on one.
    Myself and Mark(killucan2) are in the process of designing an 8100 DART having been requested to do so by a number of people. The only thing to see at this stage is CAD work but we wont be releasing any more info until we have a prototype constructed. That'll be this year hopefully.
    D&M Models - BUILDERS OF HAND-BUILT IRISH MODEL TRAINS
    Price List: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...8193#post48193
    Our section on this website: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/foru...D-amp-M-Models

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Hi guys

Excellent feedback

Yes I do agree windows and an interior would enhance the model, though with an already time consuming construction this would add to the cost, my initial estimate on a brass etched system would increase the time two-fold, with the extra construction and the painting. I plan to continue designing a system with windows, be it plastic or brass- one possibility on the drawing board is 3D plastic printing. But this is for the future

Parts and material costs are at €150.00 for the two coaches and that's before I start to make anything! The prototype on the web site has only two parts from a donor Lema train, bogies with serious modification done and the motor, all other parts are fabricated. I could only find one possible donor train when I started this project and its retail price was close to €300 and required some serious modification to turn it into a DART

I do have plans to fit doors and door head rail to break up the flat sides, which should be on the next models constructed. Though the DART is a very flat looking train anyway!

I am continually looking for pre-fabricated parts and testing ways to speed up construction so that I can bring down the price, building the train in batches of 10 units may also help- but I have not done this yet! Parts cost is prohibitive.

I have also ventured into plastic moulding for bogie sides, air tanks, corridor connectors and the skirt- all will be on the next models.

I will have three trains at the October show, please come and take a look at it in the flesh and see does this change anything.

I am absolutely chuffed that some of you take this so seriously and compare my first handmade model to some well established model makers using foreign injection moulding, machine painting and mass produced systems.

Thanks

murrayec
    If you want to produce a model of an Irish prototype for the type of price you are quoting you will have to produce something that would at least match something from Southern Pride, DC Kits, Bratchell Models etc. One of the lads is building a 21mm model of an SSM kit at the moment and judging from what he has done so far in his build your models are at the moment a million miles away from that quality and craftsmanship.

That's not in any way meant as an insult. You really need to up your game with this model as at the moment what DK models are producing are millions of miles away in the build and quality of the finished models. One of the lads on the group produced an E Class a few years ago from a Shapeways body and a motor that was designed for the kits wheelbase. Hidden Agenda scratcbuilt a number of fantastic locos for some group members and Anthony painted the finished builds for him. Thats the kind of level of quality and model to prototype fidelity you need to be aiming for. In this day and age it's quality over quantity every time.

Rich,