Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Foolish drivers

Foolish drivers

This could be that famous bridge in Portlaois that is hit loads of times lol.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

it has been hit many a time eamonn, but the ring roads around portlaoise have diverted all trhe hgv 's and thankfully it seldom happens now!

Quote Originally Posted by heirflick View Post
    it has been hit many a time eamonn, but the ring roads around portlaoise have diverted all trhe hgv 's and thankfully it seldom happens now!
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

It makes you wonder do truck drivers forget what they have behind
    them as regards height and with and lenth.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

I used to work for a company that was based along the Athlone Road in Longford. From where I sat I had a good view of the rail bridge there and the number of trucks that struck it was unbelievable... at least twice a week!

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

It's probably quite easy to do - driving different trailers, etc..

There used to be a light-beam device* on the approach to the Mountrath Road bridge in Portlaoise that lit up a sign on the bridge if you were high enough to break the beam. I'm not sure if it's still there. The one good thing about that bridge is that it's not square to the road, thus softening the blow a bit, and the angle tends to roll things away from the oncoming traffic, as in the picture above, it would be even more exciting if it was the other way..

There's even a video on YouTube of a chap hitting a bridge after forgetting to lower the tipper body..

*This - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=por...00.3,,1,-11.06 - doesn't look how I remember it, maybe they've installed a new one, but there doesn't seem to be the lit sign on the bridge** now..

**Ah, there it is - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=por...,,2,-3.85&z=19 - before you get to the bridge..
    Last edited by Broithe; 25-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.

I love the cackle of laughter from the driver filming! ;0

Irish Rail tweet from yesterday - A Truck has hit Custom House Quay Bridge. Services stopped between Connolly & Tara St. Update to follow - It all seemed to get sorted fairly quickly..

Blog Entries
    It reminds me of the story told by the late Richard Harris about the time he was driving back to limerick with a truck and he took a short cut
    because he had being drinking anyway he came upon a low bridge and he figured because he was drunk the bridge may not notice him any way he got stuck under as you do and the guards arrived and asked him what was he doing at which he replied I'm delivering this bridge and I forgot the address

Check this out

Last edited by Anthony; 21-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.