Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broad gauge modellers?

Quote Originally Posted by David Holman View Post
    Starting to look better, thank goodness! Would be nice to see pictures of some of these. No mention of any other 36.75mm gauge though. Surely I can't be in a group of one?
    I can't recall whether Harry Mulholland's 'Knockmore Junction' was built to regular 7mm standards or if it's finescale. It shares some stock with 'Octavia Hill', too...

Does anyone know for certain?

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Holman View Post
    Starting to look better, thank goodness! Would be nice to see pictures of some of these. No mention of any other 36.75mm gauge though. Surely I can't be in a group of one?
    You are not alone David!!! I am becoming more and more tempted to try 7mm 36.75mm gauge a bit easier to see than N or OO and easier on the pocket than 1:20.3.

Dave Walkers, 36.75mm gauge Killanney a medium sized WLWR/MGWR junction terminus had a colour feature in the Oct 1985 Modeller.

I saw the layout at the Chatham show about 25 years ago and may have slides or photos somewhere.

The layout was inspired by and shared locos and rolling stock with Castle Rackrent, Daves own stock included some very fine looking WLWR locos with plenty of brasswork in lined crimson lake and a MGWR small tank in lined light green & a 101 Class in lined GSWR green.

Killanney, Castle Rackrent and Paul Greenes S Scale layout are certainly an inspiration to model the pre-WW1 era when the railways were at their xenith, the WLWR may have been poor but the lined crimson lake livery exceptional and the locos and stock of plain outline and simple to model compared with the GSWR & Midland.

Harry Mulhollands Knockmore Junction featured in April 2004 British Railway Modelling Irish supplement is likely to be O gauge, Harry's GNR locos regularly appeared at the Bangor exhibition.

Going back to 21mm gauge

Tim Cramer (Cork) once built a layout in 21mm gauge before moving up to O gauge, Tim regularly published articles on Irish Modelling and drawings or locos and stock in the Railway Modeller, Model Railway Constructor and Model Railway in the 1970s & 80s and he has also been the driving force behind many of The Tyrconnel/Alphagraphix 7mm gauge loco and rolling stock kits hence the heavy West Cork focus.

Dublin modellers Brian Fennell and Jim Maguire built most of the locos and stock used on the MRSI Loughrea layout including several TMD/SSM kits and scratch built models.

Brian acquired Tim Cramers Bandon Tank, another modeller Paddy Thormley a scratch built GNR JT built by a professional modeler Harry Connaghton.
    Last edited by Mayner; 1 Week Ago at 12:01 PM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Some pics of Loughrea, minus the rolling stock

Last edited by WRENNEIRE; 1 Week Ago at 01:20 PM.

Courtmacsherry in 4mm Not finished yet but due at Warley next year. Plus Strabane albeit just a couple of sidings at the front for the moment,Andy.

Just a thought surely the title should be standard gauge models after all 00 is narrow gauge even for 4'8,1/2",Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    I can't recall whether Harry Mulholland's 'Knockmore Junction' was built to regular 7mm standards or if it's finescale. It shares some stock with 'Octavia Hill', too...

Does anyone know for certain?
    It is 7mm finescale and not 36.75 mm . Harry preferred the finer wheel rather than the course wheels .

I had the privilege of seeing and operating Harry's layout.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Keegan; 1 Week Ago at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Keegan View Post
    7mm standard and not 36.75
    Thanks, Joe! An excellent layout nonetheless...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com