Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MGWR/GSR K1/K1a class (Woolwich Moguls)

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.

MGWR/GSR K1/K1a class (Woolwich Moguls)

'Tis a K1 class.....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    'Tis a K1 class.....
    Yup, saw that coming ....
    Isn't it an N masquerading as a Irish K1? Aren't there are a few minor difference ladder on the tender etc?
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    There were a few detail differences indeed, though I would leave it to those more technically informed than me to list them!

"Blinkers" on the British ones, and gauge are of course the most obvious.

I've an idea the wheels were slightly a different diameter, but I could be mixing that up with something else.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

The ladder and cut-out on the tender from oil-firing conversion days.

Think the original smokebox doors got replaced with GSR standard ones after a short time.

Also too many lamp irons.

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    The ladder and cut-out on the tender from oil-firing conversion days.

Think the original smokebox doors got replaced with GSR standard ones after a short time.

Also too many lamp irons.
    Smokebox door - yes, you're right, I'd forgotten that. Inchicore chimneys too, perhaps.

Im surprised, thinking of it now, that the model was never released in grey - they were all grey up to the late 40s, and some remained that way after that.

The black one with yellow snail is entirely inaccurate on both counts and probably copied from the RPSI's treatment of both 461 and 184 that way in the early 90s. This is why it is never wise - especially in Ireland - to take livery details from preservation; this is doubtless the source of the fictitious black-framed, snail-bedecked green "livery" for a G class loco!

The model with the black livery, light green snail and red lining is accurate, as a one off. That particular loco was painted like that for the Rosslare Express for a short time in the 1950s. It must have looked very smart.
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 04-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.

The Class N were the 5ft 6in driver SECR locos which were finished in Ireland as the 372 Class - Class K1.

The Class U were the six foot driver version, of which Ireland had six - Class 393 - Class K1a. If memory serves, they had a tiny splasher, which made them easily identifiable from their "smaller" sisters.

You can get the full low down in Michael McMahon and Jeremy Cleminson's excellent tome on GSR locos.

Leslie
    PS my copy was upstairs, so I looked up a certain on-line encyclopaedia!

The SR version
    Name:  N_class_1412_breakdown_train.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  51.8 KB
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    The SR version
    Name:  N_class_1412_breakdown_train.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  51.8 KB
    The tender was very different on the British ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    The tender was very different on the British ones.
    Any chance of a pair of photos side by side of UK one and an Irish one for comparison?

Blog Entries
    The British N class had both types of Maunsell tender. They were also left and right hand drive but I believe the CIE ones were all right hand drive as all the photos I have seen show the exhaust injector by the left hand cab steps. And the reversing reach rod on the right.