Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Rail Mark3's

Irish Rail Mark3's

Would Irish Railway Models consider commissioning a special run from Oxford Rail of modern standard Mark 3's as it looks like they have executed them rather well and they are such an iconic coach for Irish railways for a 20year period??
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  49.1 KB

I don't think that the Oxford Mark 3's are a perfect match to what ran here. So far with the ballasts and bubbles Irish Railway Models have gone for accuracy, so I'm not sure that the Oxford coaches would fit in with that?
    Robert

Member of the Wexford Model Railway Club

None of the Mk3s available from Lima, Hornby or Jouef are a perfect match, particularly given they have the manual rather than automatic doors.
    So form that persepctive, they are no better or worse.

Having said that from the close up Model Rail photos I've seen, their fine detail touches look very, very good. Definitely a worthy contender for Ral2011. (...awaiting the colour bunfight now)

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Flying snail green.....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I contacted them when they first mentioned they were producing a new Mk 3
    I think it was about this time last year
    I asked if they would do a run of Irish Mk 3's
    They said they were looking at the possibility of producing a kosher Irish coach
    I asked them to keep me informed but I have heard nothing back

Kosher Irish? Try Portobello for that

Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    Kosher Irish? Try Portobello for that
    No skin off my nose Des

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    I contacted them when they first mentioned they were producing a new Mk 3
    I think it was about this time last year
    I asked if they would do a run of Irish Mk 3's
    They said they were looking at the possibility of producing a kosher Irish coach
    I asked them to keep me informed but I have heard nothing back
    I thought you might have had a tip off.
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

We were actually approached about 18 months ago by another established manufacturer who wanted to produce a new British Mark III with a view to collobrate with us to do a kosher Irish version with proper prototype fidelity. This would've been a top of the line, bang on Irish outline Mark III with the proper doors, details and Genny van etc. However, Oxford beat them to the punch in the UK with their announcement and the project was halted.

As Robbie correctly pointed out, we do not want to compromise the standards of Irish Railway Models by releasing a British Mark III repainted in Irish colours. That's been done before and we want to move Irish railway modelling on from those days.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com