Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of Model Irish Railways

Return of Model Irish Railways

The June issue of Rail Express carries a report that Model Irish Railways is relaunching its 4mm range, good news indeed.

Stephen

I would love the owner to be on this forum, just so they can advertise what their intentions are for the range (ie, are brass sides coming back, any resin or just whitemetal?)
    Nelson
    1̶5̶,̶1̶6̶,̶1̶7̶ 18 years old, and,
    Modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)

Nelson I got a letter accompanying a transfer catalogue form Ian a few months ago, He is to be trading from the same address and phone number. Catalogue shows the same range of transfers, name plates and some accessories. he is also reintroducing some of the wagons. TDR
    Last edited by The Derry Road; 30-05-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Do it yourself brain surgery can be mind numbing

Lovely, thanks TDR, I also see some white metal MIR kits going for sale on eBay, is this also from the same person? If so that's a great move because making the range available online would be so much handier.
    Nelson

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Is there any sort of online presence to see what stuff they do?
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunluce Castle View Post
    just so they can advertise what their intentions are for the range (ie, are brass sides coming back, any resin or just whitemetal?)
    Have to ask why they are even bothering with a lot of items, given some items are now available RTR and other manufacturers have moved in with kits and transfers. Also the previous supplier of the brass overlays is no longer in business
    "Cool Hand Blaine"

Surely you must have something positive to say? In my eyes the introduction of any kits, transfers etc... is very much a welcoming prospect regardless.
    Nelson

Surely you must have something positive to say? In my eyes the introduction of any kits, transfers etc... is very much a welcoming prospect regardless.
    The standard of both MIR kits and decals was not great then and especially not now. Anything else?
    "Cool Hand Blaine"

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    The standard of both MIR kits and decals was not great then and especially not now. Anything else?
    Are you sure that the same moulds are being used? And if so, a little detailing won't do any harm.
    Nelson

Are you sure that the same moulds are being used? And if so, a little detailing won't do any harm.
    Hi DC.

Over all it has to be welcome news.

A lot of the popular kits they used to sell are now redundant as high quality RTR models are already available, or due within the next few months. More than detailing or new moulds needed to bring some up to todays standards Below George about to rescue this loco that derailed and ran into a chocolate orange fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgeconna View Post
    You will love this one then Noel, Touch it up a bit is the instruction.......Eh . . .
    Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from Murphy Models

From what I've read many folk were more than happy and satisfied with their MIR kits back in the day, especially if they were talented builders themselves or commissioned a talented model maker to build and finish them. However I suspect the bar and expectations have since been raised, yet there probably are some past MIR kits that would fill gaps in in what is available today, so that is a welcome development. There is room for all vendors, and I appreciate some folks prefer and enjoy kit building.

Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from IRM (below MIR bubbles but built and finished by a skilled pro - George)

From my limited experience many kits available from other vendors can be quite expensive given the amount of additional cost to finish them, never mind the time, and they end up costing the same or even more than RTR.

I suspect we are going to see more and more stunning RTR rolling stock from vendors including IRM and MM over the coming years, reducing the demand for kits, and yet the Irish modelling well is only so deep financially.

Noel