Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Return of Model Irish Railways

  1. #11
    I don't want to buy them but can someone point me in the right direction for the kits on eBay thanks

    Colin

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Hi DC.

    Over all it has to be welcome news.

    A lot of the popular kits they used to sell are now redundant as high quality RTR models are already available, or due within the next few months. More than detailing or new moulds needed to bring some up to today's standards Below George about to rescue this loco that derailed and ran into a chocolate orange fountain.


    Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from Murphy Models


    From what I've read many folk were more than happy and satisfied with their MIR kits back in the day, especially if they were talented builders themselves or commissioned a talented model maker to build and finish them. However I suspect the bar and expectations have since been raised, yet there probably are some past MIR kits that would fill gaps in in what is available today, so that is a welcome development. There is room for all vendors, and I appreciate some folks prefer and enjoy kit building.

    Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from IRM (below MIR bubbles but built and finished by a skilled pro - George)


    From my limited experience many kits available from other vendors can be quite expensive given the amount of additional cost to finish them, never mind the time, and they end up costing the same or even more than RTR.

    I suspect we are going to see more and more stunning RTR rolling stock from vendors including IRM and MM over the coming years, reducing the demand for kits, and yet the Irish modelling well is only so deep financially.

    Noel


    Don't forget that 3D printing is getting better every year (I know some don't believe me, but it is true) and it won't be long before some of the kits from this source will be very good or better.

    While it may be good for the reintroduction of white metal wagon kits we all know that most OO locos will have a problem if you want to run long trains of these wagons.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunluce Castle View Post
    Lovely, thanks TDR, I also see some white metal MIR kits going for sale on eBay, is this also from the same person? If so that's a great move because making the range available online would be so much handier.
    Nelson, I don't know if he has any plans to go on line with his range, but the wagons planned for release/reintroduction are

    1, Tara mines wagon-due end February 2017
    2, Ammonia tanker, mk2 version with lighter resin tank.
    3, Fertliiser wagon
    4, Bogie cement wagon
    No further info at this time


    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Have to ask why they are even bothering with a lot of items, Maybe some of us prefer to build our own from kits


    given some items are now available RTR and other manufacturers have moved in with kits and transfers. The more enter the ring the better choice we modellers have, also competitive pricing

    Also the previous supplier of the brass overlays is no longer in business
    There is more than one supplier out there, and if there is a market, some one will produce.

    TDR
    Last edited by The Derry Road; 31-05-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Do it yourself brain surgery can be mind numbing

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by The Derry Road View Post
    There is more than one supplier out there, and if there is a market, some one will produce.
    Very true TDR, but the well is only so deep. Modelling consumers will be spending significantly on Murphy Models 121 when released later this year, as well as IRM's new range of top quality RTR wagons (i.e. Ballasts, Cement Bubbles and Tara's). The small Irish market is a finite size. Noel

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,703
    Blog Entries
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Very true TDR, but the well is only so deep. Modelling consumers will be spending significantly on Murphy Models 121 when released later this year, as well as IRM's new range of top quality RTR wagons (i.e. Ballasts, Cement Bubbles and Tara's). The small Irish market is a finite size. Noel
    It will be interesting to see how the re-launched MIR wagon kits fare especially with the Tara's & Ammonia tank wagons duplicated by IRM and SSM.


    The hobby is shifting more from kit and scratchbuilding to rtr with the availability of small runs of highly detailed rtr models from China.

    The loco kits were dropped and the wagons re-tooled as resin kits about 10-15 years ago.
    John


    If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

  6. #16
    IF the 121s get released this year!

    So is it only wagons being re-released? I'd seriously think about another NIR101 if it became available again.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    IF the 121s get released this year!

    So is it only wagons being re-released? I'd seriously think about another NIR101 if it became available again.
    I might be mistaken, but I believe that the silverfox NIR101 uses the old MIR mould.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

    My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

  8. #18
    I can understand the direction that the owners of MIR may be going in, but unless you can offer something new, the market for a second or third manufactures of what I would call modern day rail operations 1970 to date rolling stock must be limited.

    If it was down to me I would look at the period from 1940 to 1970 as that to me has more change than at any other period, lines being closed, a transformation for steam to diesel, the realisation of block container trains, mechanical to electrical powered signalling, all these things where going on and it would be great to see a model of the Irish railway system during that period.

    While the Irish Railway modelling scene may be small compared to some others, it has the potential to grow.

    If there was, say two or three van types from the 1940 to 1960's period, a cattle wagon or van, a combination good/cattle van, a mineral/open wagon and a brake van where to become the core models for a new range of models then you might be on to a winner.

    In an ideal World, they would be plastic injection moulded kits, like those from Parkside Dundas, or Ratio as examples.

    It certainly won't make you a fortune over night, but knowing that the range was there will lead to an up take of Irish modelling.

    The 009 world has for many years relied on kits alone, a few years ago it started to get popular to look across the waters at the Irish narrow gauge World and for me I was and still am hooked on those railways, I decided that I would get out of my model narrow gauge coach in Victoria Road, Derry and explore those other railways stations with Blue and black steam locos, only to find that this was an area that was just as fascinating as the narrow gauge scene was.

    Colin

  9. #19
    Personally I think its a mistake to reenter at the moment unless he has some new models to launch
    Given the cost of them and then further cost of having them built or painted they look very expensive compared to the new IRM wagons
    I picked up some MIR stuff recently that had been built and painted by a "professional" painter/ builder
    One item sticks out, 6 bubble cements, heavily weathered, cost was €490, twice the price of 6 rtr from IRM
    The 2010 pricelist had the bubble cement kit at 25, which at the time was over €35 so I presume the prices wont be any cheaper now
    I know we have some excellent kit builders here but I would say that the majority of modelers would opt for the rtr version given the new standards that have been achieved
    Just my tuppence worth, and I am in no way disparaging the excellent contribution that MIR has made to the hobby in the past

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    Personally I think its a mistake to reenter at the moment unless he has some new models to launch
    Given the cost of them and then further cost of having them built or painted they look very expensive compared to the new IRM wagons. I picked up some MIR stuff recently that had been built and painted by a "professional" painter/ builder One item sticks out, 6 bubble cements, heavily weathered, cost was €490, twice the price of 6 rtr from IRM.

    The 2010 pricelist had the bubble cement kit at 25, which at the time was over €35 so I presume the prices wont be any cheaper now. I know we have some excellent kit builders here but I would say that the majority of modelers would opt for the rtr version given the new standards that have been achieved. Just my tuppence worth, and I am in no way disparaging the excellent contribution that MIR has made to the hobby in the past
    Tend to Agree. Many current kits in the Irish market seem too expensive when compared to RTR prices. More often than not kits end up costing more by the time they are finished, yet don't look half as good as quality RTR. €40 for a superbly fine detailed RTR model versus €30 for an average moulded kit requiring a lot of additional work is a no brainer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Welcome to Irish Railway Modeller. The home of Railway Modelling and collecting in Ireland. We are a friendly, open community where you will find lots of support, advice and encouragement, as well as inspiration! Join us today!
Join us