Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic building styles

All this research has just brought me back in to contact with an Irish based book I had almost forgotten about, its called Buildings of Irish Towns, by Patrick and Maura Shaffrey, I can't recall where I got it, but it has a lot of useful stuff in it.

It has a number of coloured prints of buildings around Ireland, some but not all, are very close to OO/4mm scale so could be used as a backdrop for an Irish High street.

Architecturally speaking there are only so many design styles, but what makes the Irish buildings unique to Ireland are the details and the application of them to such great effect. Stone has been used in more Irish buildings than anywhere else, but it is the addition of details such as quoins on the corners of building that give it that style the other thing which I have also noticed and that is the use of render to give a smooth finish to station buildings as well.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that until the 1960's many buildings where painted white, grey or cream. after that period and the introduction by the Irish tourist Board to encourage owners in the picture postcard locations to paint there buildings up in various colour's from yellow to red with green and blue as well, it did not take much to brighten the place up, I am tempted to use some modeller's license when it come to modelling the township and incorporating some of the later colour schemes to the buildings, otherwise the whole model is going to be very dull colour wise.

One other Irish must have is the town triangle, I don't know how this came about, but it not something I have heard about in UK village or towns planning, village green's and town squares yes, but never a village triangle.

Great like I said wonderful stuff research.

There's a village triangle in Dubai, at Jumeirah, but the architectural styles are way off...
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Thanks guys for the input, looks like there is still more to do at this stage.

Colin, as a conservation architect and having built a few buildings over the years, I'd have to say that GNR has the most modular of all styles.

Station masters houses, signal cabins, platform shelters, all follow a defined pattern. They are also the most difficult to reproduce, such is the level of detail.

MGWR might appear austere in its design, but it ranks second when it comes to buildings and patterns.

Anything in the GSWR world is a mess. You can see stations on both sides of limerick, Croome and Pallasgrean come to mind, and they are wildly differing styles.

If you like a building, build it, rename it, and cherry pick other buildings from other stations as needed. The right effect can be achieved. Richie.

Edit - I have that shaffrey book, the rendering of Thurles is lovely.
    Last edited by Glenderg; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:29 PM.
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glenderg View Post
    Colin, as a conservation architect and having built a few buildings over the years, I'd have to say that GNR has the most modular of all styles.

Station masters houses, signal cabins, platform shelters, all follow a defined pattern. They are also the most difficult to reproduce, such is the level of detail.

MGWR might appear austere in its design, but it ranks second when it comes to buildings and patterns.

Anything in the GSWR world is a mess. You can see stations on both sides of limerick, Croome and Pallasgrean come to mind, and they are wildly differing styles.

If you like a building, build it, rename it, and cherry pick other buildings from other stations as needed. The right effect can be achieved. Richie.

Edit - I have that shaffrey book, the rendering of Thurles is lovely.

Hi ya, yes I have a feeling that is what I will end up doing.

Nothing much standard, apart from examples like the polychrome GNR brick. Large companies like the GS&W made up of a hodge podge of smaller companies of varying means, constructing buildings at different times and going to different contractors and architects.

Some GSWR branches do have buildings, not really identical, but variations on a theme, say on the Kerry Road.

The GSR did do a line of signal cabins with a family resemblance though.

The Dublin & Kingstown Railway Company- the first! Built beautiful Edwardian/Victorian station buildings like cottages n gate lodges of that time, each had their own little quirks- Blackrock station had a bit of Nouveau/Italian buzz, and many were decorated with eaves supports, decorative barges, and typical at that time decorative chimney pots. Also a place nicknamed 'Privo' with its Italian footbridges, harbour, and Greek bathhouse- now removed, all to appease the landowner. As time went on the Southern railway company continued on with the tradition and built Dun Laoghaire station- Italian, the later Dalkey station and say Greystones station, still employing the E&V style.

Sadly these building have been taken over by modernisation and some gone, but many of the old style details can be glimpsed here and there...

https://www.google.ie/search?q=dubli...w=1280&bih=890

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Colin

Have you considered Alphagraphixs kits for station buildings and signal cabins.

In 4mm scale there is

F514 Station based on Glenfarne

F527 Manorhamilton Signal Cabin based on Saxby & Farmer Type 5

F536 Goods Shed based on Glenfarne

F552 Florencecourt Station

F555GNR Signal Cabin

These generally have stone or stone covered render.

F570 GNR W H MIlls style Station

This is the distinctive brick work usually yellow/cream and red.

The photos below are of N gauge versions where I scaled down the 4mm kit components. I have not yet built the W H Mills station.

F514
    Name:  Glenfarne.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  80.1 KB

F527
    Name:  Saxby Farmer Signal cabin.jpg
Size:  81.1 KB

F536
    Name:  Goods shed.jpg
Size:  80.8 KB

F552
    Name:  Florencecourt.jpg
Size:  51.8 KB

F555
    Name:  GNR Signal cabin.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  73.9 KB

MikeO

Hi Mike great models, Yes I have got those in mind as well, there is a station on the Irish network which could use one or two old Airfix station buildings I think it is Bray which comes to mind, but I could be wrong.