Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic building styles

Generic building styles

Hi Guys

Sorry for all the questions, but having looked at various Irish themed layouts, I was wondering if it is possible to have or build a generic style building for each of the pre1923 Irish Railway companies.

Looking back at the experience of modelling UK lines in the past it is possible to build a freelance GWR branchline station and give it any name you like and it will still look plausible.

I am not trying to deny the unique Irish railway atmosphere than comes over in the various prototype photos I have seen, but something tell me that it must be possible to create that Irish feel about a freelanced model.

Can I take it that each of the railway companies had its own standard design signal boxes and possible station buildings and good sheds?

Now while I have had a look at this site http://eiretrains.com/stationindex/ for inspiration and with the exceptions of stonewalled buildings, there does not appear to be that standardization I would have expected.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? In the UK we have so many different societies which have been set up to look at how certain railway companies operate and what and how they done things, I sometimes forget that this is not always the case in other countries.

The downside of the above is that it can become too clinical for its own good. I know that I won't live long enough to model everything I see, so I am happy to model what I would call, the impression of the characteristics of a railway company if that make any sense.

Bachmann have produced a couple, which turn up on eBay, etc., now and then.

Based on Clonmel.

Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  22.2 KB

And Carlow.

My best work has been spread over many fields..

Hi ya thanks for that, I also came across this sometime ago to use on an isle on man based layout, but I now realise it could be used as an Irish themed railway station as well.

http://www.springsidemodels.com/id30.htm

I am sure there are other building kits etc which could be adapted to get the Irish feel I am looking for I have just come across a station called Barnagh on the Limerick line which is now abandoned and the station track plan is just what I am looking for as something to start with in 21mm gauge.

I read somewhere this station was on the old North Kerry line as well, I am surprised to find it in this condition as I was under the impression that a lot, if not most of the ex old Irish railway stations had been turned in to private homes by now.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    The old companies were themselves amalgamations of earlier smaller ones. Therefore, no company had a standard "house style". However, certain styles were associated with companies, such as the gothic styles on the INWR and the yellow-brick of the GNR.

West Cork and the WRC were made up of many, many small companies with but a few stations each, but the corrugated sheet sides, and low platform awnings werecommon in West Cork.

The GSWR had stone buildings, often with great ornamentation, while the DSER used a lot of red brick, but with their very distinctive round-roofed signal cabins accessed off footbridges.

The SLNCR started off with nice stone single-storey buildings but ran out of money, so later buildings were tin sheet.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks Jhb, that's what I was beginning to conclude, I think in this case that the Peco many ways station kit is idea for Irish stations as it can be built up in so many combinations, one thing which I have found to be a lot easier and that is the Irish Narrow Gauge. Now while the Cavan and Leitrim and the Clogher Valley had a similar station building design and they both shared the plan to build the Ulster and Connaught 3ft gauge Light Railway line across Ireland this did not happen, but to me it has always been one of the greatest what if's.

Well off to sample some long lost bushmill's now and to have another look at the Airfix / Dapol Station building to see what can be made of it.

[QUOTE=jhb171achill;101424The GSWR had stone buildings, often with great ornamentation[/QUOTE]

E.g., Ballybrophy.

The Metcalfe range has a certain level of possibilities. E.g....

Name:  PO320_a.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  136.2 KB

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin R View Post
    ....... plan to build the Ulster and Connaught 3ft gauge Light Railway line across Ireland this did not happen, but to me it has always been one of the greatest what if's.
    A fascinating subject matter for a layout. Think LLSR 4.8.0s hauling corridor trains like the Ballymena & Larne, and Clogher Valley / C & L style stations!

Or, more likely, as on the original Welsh Highland / North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway, a straddling rambling rural line struggling to fill the thrice-weekly passenger train of two dilapidated unheated carriages, pushing their way through the weeds between deserted stations!

In terms of Irish station design, there are so many differences with British ones, that few of these will make convincing Irish ones. The hassle of conversion and kit bashing will almost certainly be more that the task of just building one from scratch. It's easier to build a building from scratch than a locomotive!
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 28-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    As JHB says it probably easier and more satisfying to scratch build an Irish Station building, the style of architecture and building materials were quite different to England and Wales.

The nearest you will get to a generic Irish design are Mill's brick station buildings on the GNR such as Malahide, George Wilkinson's buildings on the MGWR Sligo & Cavan Branches and the DWWR Dublin-Wexford line between Harcourt St & Enniscorthy and Nenagh on the GSWR

After building Workhouses George Wilkinson the Architect went on to build equally forboding railway stations

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/..._012_CC_JA.jpg

The Waterford Limerick and Western had a nice cottage style of station building for smaller stations on the Limerick-Sligo and Thurles_Clonmel line

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/..._005_CC_JA.jpg
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Snap, you and me are on the same page Broithe with this one. I was looking at that and thinking what could I use that for, I didn't at the time know what the old Downpatrick Station looked like from the road side of the building, I have since then received a photo of what it looked like, it would be possible to use the above as a basis for a freelanced Irish county town terminal station.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin R View Post
    Snap, you and me are on the same page Broithe with this one. I was looking at that and thinking what could I use that for, I didn't at the time know what the old Downpatrick Station looked like from the road side of the building, I have since then received a photo of what it looked like, it would be possible to use the above as a basis for a freelanced Irish county town terminal station.
    The stone Metcalfe stuff does have some potential for non-prototypical Hibernisation, I feel.